Legions: Overdrive Advertisement Ideas

Maxter

Honestly, I think this game has been too long in the dark, and for that reason, I feel that the finalization on the game's content atleast on Torque, is it's biggest break. As developers of the game, I understand that you guys want to publicize the game once it is truly done, i.e. on Unity when you officially make an announcement that you are done developing the game.

But that's actually a long time to come, and somewhere in-between you might just not be able to finish developing it. I'm not trying to be negative here, but just saying that it's one of many possibilities. You never know where life's gonna take you in a year or so. Heck, even if you do manage to finish it, it might not have the same feel of the game, the current version of Legions does, and Legions has always been a game endorsed for it's physics(/mostly for it's physics/ a lot of times only for it's physics).

To me, the 1.40 finalization is a doorway to a proper competition age. No more new weapons/Cores/"map fixes" to wait for and get used to. Sure, there will be people who'll still create maps for the community but all their creations will simply be addons for people to mess with or to be included in serious competition if they are endorsed by enough members of the community. But what you guys created though, that will always be the central part of the game, which will be the mostly played. There will also be alterations but that's just in custom servers created by a few people like Defender, who like to make something different.

So if this is not the time to bring in all the players we ever can into the game, I don't know what is. Not to mention that if we start advertising now, the new players won't have to wait another three years for the game to conclude it's development like us, atleast not on this engine. By the time 1.40 hits Live, all of these newly entered players will have just finished properly learning the basics of the game, and this game has the longest list of basics, any game I've ever played has.

Rougey

Most Honoured Aussie
Sounds good, anyone want to ante up the minimum five figures required for a token advertising campaign? If we want to actually have an impact we can pool together six figures, seven if we want something serious - we're gonna need at least nine figures if we want to roll with the big boys.

Without serious financial backing, grassroots/astroturfing and word of mouth are the only viable option for legions - in the right conditions we might even be lucky enough for something to go viral but I can tell you anyone who banks their campaign on going viral has to put in an absurd amount of work and man hours to make it a reality.

Also being involved in Legions since 2008 I can't wrap my head around bugs and *chocolate cookies* being called "The Devs" :lol:

Maxter

So how are we going to do this? Do we create a team for this sort of thing? If so, who wants to head it?

Rougey

Most Honoured Aussie
I'm wondering if I should step in and offer professional expertise or step back and enjoy the show.

I mean is "press group" an American term or are you clutching at straws?

SNAKEOPS

Now guys, we can't have this be dead. I like the suggestion of trailers and whatnot. But, there's too many of them and obviously not working in the slightest bit. As Einstein put, doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insanity. We got to do something new, and let's just not focus on one type of advertising outlet.

I do however like the idea of gaming review sites, there are plenty of them and they get thousands of viewers. I'm thinking of having my clan with 22 members email 10 review sites each asking them to come check out our game. That's 220 review sites and chances are high they actually will, as it's their job to do so!

I'm thinking of saying:
"Please review Legions: Overdrive at www.legionsoverdrive.com, this is a great game in progress and our development team would welcome you!"
Is this fine? And you guys may use it if you want to jump in! And the project won't be hard, as all you have to do is Google review sites and find their contact information.

And what's with the saying, "This game isn't close to finish" ? There are plenty of games out there that aren't 10% finished and they get thousands of players. That's actually the fun part, to grow with the game and to enjoy each new content and try it out. And this game, you can't ever be done with it. There's so many potential content to add it'll take decades. The game is top notch and fine as it is, it's my favorite because not only have I played it in the beginning, but I've seen it growing with the new patches.

As for tutorial, let's try not to make it one on forums. Perhaps something you can add to in-game? Games like World of Tanks don't even have tutorials until in the last month, but they have broken numerous records and gotten many awards. Here's one, "World of Tanks holds a Guinness World Record in the category of Most Players Online Simultaneously on one MMO Server." 100k people on one server, that's not the crazy the part. They broke their own records with 200k, 300k, 400k, 500k, and now 800k people.

Games like these don't have people searching for tutorials on forums, it's rare if people do actually visit the forums. You don't play CoD online, and then look for tutorials online on the forums. They usually have missions or tutorials in-game, and we need to approach that concept. I think it's obvious to say people like to do things instead of watching, even in our own community. We don't often ask Muk or Shaska for their replay in-game so we can review or it whatever.

I feel we should promote stuff that allows new players to ease into the game better, like cores (Well done to devs with Boost Core). But, we should also promote FFA, and specifically FFA mode. Thing is, from my perspective people get better at dueling in a faster rate than skiing. In game modes like Rabbit, only the top 3 skiiers can make a difference, if you suck at skiing, well too bad (Don't get me started on Potato, people who have been playing this game for years still can't do well in it). In game modes like CTF, if you suck at skiing, good luck getting close to the flag. And when you suck at dueling, guess who just became a homicide victim after the LOs get through with them? In FFA, you aren't singled out and there isn't any stacking teams.

Fixious

Test Lead
FFA doesn't exist at the moment. The closest is Team Deathmatch, or Hunters I guess.

well, maybe it does...

k e v i n

Private Tester
Now guys, we can't have this be dead. I like the suggestion of trailers and whatnot. But, there's too many of them and obviously not working in the slightest bit. As Einstein put, doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is insanity. We got to do something new, and let's just not focus on one type of advertising outlet.

I do however like the idea of gaming review sites, there are plenty of them and they get thousands of viewers. I'm thinking of having my clan with 22 members email 10 review sites each asking them to come check out our game. That's 220 review sites and chances are high they actually will, as it's their job to do so!

I'm thinking of saying:
"Please review Legions: Overdrive at www.legionsoverdrive.com, this is a great game in progress and our development team would welcome you!"
Is this fine? And you guys may use it if you want to jump in! And the project won't be hard, as all you have to do is Google review sites and find their contact information.

And what's with the saying, "This game isn't close to finish" ? There are plenty of games out there that aren't 10% finished and they get thousands of players. That's actually the fun part, to grow with the game and to enjoy each new content and try it out. And this game, you can't ever be done with it. There's so many potential content to add it'll take decades. The game is top notch and fine as it is, it's my favorite because not only have I played it in the beginning, but I've seen it growing with the new patches.

i do like the idea of telling websites to come and atleast check out legions (whether it be playing it or looking at youtube vidoes)
and from previous posts, i think the more websites that check this game out, the better
there's always a chance they might tell others about it and who knows, maybe we'll get a couple of new players who'll love the game and may even wanna be part of the dev team or making some promotional vidoes cause they'll really like the game so much, they'll want to help out anyway they can

Maxter

Well, this idea has been in the back of my mind for a while now, but I don't know if you guys will want to do it. I agree with Snakeops on the matter that we have way too many of those "ooo gameplay..." videos with music, 90% of them with nothing other than syncing music beats with MA's. There really isn't much in those videos which actually provides the audience with information regarding the game. So here's where my idea comes in.

How about we make a video with comments from some of our community members and also developers? Ever watched those kickstarter videos? How those guys sit on a chair and talk about different aspects of their games?

Well I'm thinking something similar but this time the community members will be the ones that comment on the game(just the audio, no sitting on chair crap), why they love and play this game so often, and what aspects they love about. And while they talk, the video shows what they're talking about. For example, let's say one guy says "I just love how you can MA in this game". We can use a video clip from some other video in which someone got a nice long distance MA. We could even use the demos so we can follow the shot all the way to the enemy getting hit. If it's me, I'd say "This game reminds me of basketball", and all of a sudden the video is showing two guys passing the flag to each other under heavy offensive pressure(maybe even include ts chat while they were passing) and finally capturing it. These are just my examples. I bet we can get a lot more if we made a thread asking people what they liked about this game the most(funny how we never did that).

Legions doesn't have much content, we all know that. It will be the first thing gamers out there will notice when they watch videos of it or play it. What we will show them in this video is that despite all that, the game is fluid and fun. Some of our guys will comment on how it's more like a sport to play in the evenings with friends than an online FPS game(heard that from Carnage and the others a lot of times), and how you can just get in play how you want and get out, without all the bs most other FPS games seem to indulge the player in.

This is really the best way to get through to players outside of our circle if you ask me. The video could be 5-20 minutes depending on how many different comments were collected.

We don't really need to make 20 different videos of the game for advertising, just the one.

P.S.- Sorry for another long post.

stefygraff

Private Tester
Stefy can be the 'foreign correspondent'! :D

tumblr_m4jlglGCKN1r5uau9o1_400.jpg

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
I do like this 'Kick starter' type video. We need to tell people why we play this game first and tutorials/gameplay comes second.