Legions: Overdrive Advertisement Ideas

Jaymyster

Personally, I believe that Legions is far too unique of a shooter to not have a very strong marketing advantage with its advertisements over other games. And although the devs probably know a thing or two about advertising already, I'm also confident that conceptual contribution from the entire community about the game's marketing strengths should be able make their job at least a little bit easier.

I know plenty of you may have great reasons for why you like legions. And I know others out there also have awesome ideas for how to showcase the fast-paced and very captivating game that you know Legions is. Go ahead and share your ideas that stick out in your mind about this game that you think would appeal to others. Really try to put yourselves in the perspective of when you first saw this game, and what exciting scenarios you remember seeing that only made you more eager to learn how to play this game.

I myself believe that a great deal of emphasis can be put on the sports aspect of Legions (perhaps a clip of a very perfectly planned offensive flag toss-to-capper clip from an ideal angle) as well as the shooter aspect (a clip of a quick, but seemingly hard-earned capper take-down from a chaser's perspective). Also maybe an accurate percentage of how much faster Legions is than Tribes Ascend for a very quick portion of the ad? (Maybe just outrider to outrider, or overall comparison; then a speedy capper clip thereafter)

Additionally, I've always strongly hoped that Legions: Overdrive could hopefully someday become incorporated into a research study at a university to test the game's ability to improve hand-eye coordination/reaction time/any other mental capabilities; and in-turn be able to use that information toward its advertising. But that's just an extra idea I wanted to at least plant in some people's minds.

What way do you think Legions should be presented to show the advantage it has over other games out there?

Remember, how well we execute advertising Legions determines how big of an influx of players we get. So if you've been eager for far too long to see our community grow like everyone else, I strongly suggest that you use that energy to find what you can do to effectively contribute to this topic.

Note: This is ultimately to compile our best ideas for when the devs have given us the o.k start advertising, not right now

BugsPray

Legions Developer
Since we started this project years ago, we've been wondering when the right time to advertise and bring more players into the game would be. Unfortunately we didn't really feel as though our resources would be best used towards that since the game has always been fairly unpolished.

However, feel free to start any grass-roots marketing campaigns you would like - we are totally for that and would be happy to offer any assistance you would like (source images, "official" statements, support, etc). It will likely have to be run/managed by you all though.

k e v i n

Private Tester
well since nobody has constructively contributed to this topic, i guess i'll be the first to start
jay has already mentioned them, but the things that i like about this game are:
-the teamwork (flag play or set positions for players)
-the physics (MA'ing, and skiing)
-the community (not the idiots)
-the competitivness (when teams actually try to win (ctf))

Jaymyster

Okay so the note that I made at the end of my original post is now in much larger font instead of small font due to the number of off-topic replies like this:

Never ending”advertising” idea since 2010, still nothing, because its a low-buget, no-buget game! The game will never go past 1000 players(that was the peak)- thats why we need to wait and HOPE Legions 2 will have a better fortune and will get to Steam.
Only way this game can survive and get some activity is organising the Competition- we need somebody from the dev team, someone with powerful influence...
Bring back the old players to this gme, more players will bring other players

Also that thing with Legions:Overdrive being a mentally stimulating game... try Chess, try a BOOK....

You guys are completely missing the main idea of this this thread. This is thread was made to collect ideas to provide the devs with some wonderful considerations for advertisements when the time comes. Stefy, I would almost consider paying money to revoke your posting privileges for replying off-topic to this thread only to tell everyone about why you think legions is the way it is and why you know the key to saving it. Oh and some irony FYI, I actually do play chess on a regular basis as well as read personal growth brooks for usually most of my spare time; and how they work with your mind is incomparable to Legions.

Since we started this project years ago, we've been wondering when the right time to advertise and bring more players into the game would be. Unfortunately we didn't really feel as though our resources would be best used towards that since the game has always been fairly unpolished.

However, feel free to start any grass-roots marketing campaigns you would like - we are totally for that and would be happy to offer any assistance you would like (source images, "official" statements, support, etc). It will likely have to be run/managed by you all though.

I'm glad to hear that I have your guys support. I would really like to get a relative idea of what you guys plan for your advertisement template whenever you guys know what you want (i.e: two 30 second ads, one 15 second ad, or jpg/gif advertisements with x amount of slides, ect). Moreover it'd be my pleasure to contribute whatever I can by compiling any contributions we get and sending them to you guys (although im confident if the community focuses in, this thread should be enough).

Mind deleting some irrelevant prior posts?

Sharp

Private Tester
Give me 10 minutes and a way to record demos on pub_test and I'll give you all the footage you ever need for advertising.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
One guy who came into #legions.info today recommended we get the game on mmohut.com. I can't see why we can't.

Fixious

Test Lead
I don't consider Legions an MMO/MMORPG, so I doubt they'd accept it. Getting it on something like Raptr would be pretty cool, though. Desura is another option as well.

Maxter

I believe we should do this after the 1.40 is live and there's nothing more to add to it. Then, we'd have a solid game build to showcase. Also, mmohut.com also reviews online FPS games Fixious. But as you say, if there's a better review site out there with a larger audience, we should aim for that.

Fixious

Test Lead
If we do it when 1.40 (and L:O) is done, Desura won't be an option. They only accept games that are in active development.

Domohawk

i recommend mmohut since it can go under MMOFPS, hmmm possibly getting it up on websites like xtremetop100, gtop100, since i used to play lots of WoW private servers and runescape private servers, then voting is essential for every player, you could set up a voting section on the main website, thats how most private servers survive! well ofcourse donations are a must

ooh and making an official youtube account (maybe you guys already have that) and posting videos, not to mention making a facebook page so everyone can share it, that way it should spread quickly! (hopefully), maybe stupid but why not twitter too lol, i dont personally like twitter though, think its a bit stupid but people follow it! :p

Maxter

If we do it when 1.40 (and L:O) is done, Desura won't be an option. They only accept games that are in active development.
Well then the ideal way to tackle this issue is to advertise on just Desura now, and cover other sites once L:O 1.40 is live.

Jaymyster

Well then the ideal way to tackle this issue is to advertise on just Desura now, and cover other sites once L:O 1.40 is live.

I completely agree with this course of action. We've already established that it's a temporary opportunity, so we should utilize Desura while we can.

Can we please get an affirmative yes/no from bugs on this topic?

BugsPray

Legions Developer
As we move resources to the new game, I expect we'll allow able/willing community contributors to continue pushing updates to L:O.

Fixious

Test Lead
It really doesn't sound like Bugs feels like advertising this game. Since its release in 2010 we've never seen what they had in mind for advertising, and have instead relied of word of mouth/grassroots campaigns. This will likely never change for L:O. Lets hope they have a plan for Legions 2, if/when that becomes a reality.

Something like Desura would probably be something Bugs would have to do, so I doubt it's a viable option at this point but I could be wrong. I mentioned it to him and Pop a while ago who found it somewhat interesting, but that's it. So it's really up to us, the community, to get it on other websites and spread the word. Just like it has been for the past 3 years now.

edit: ninj'a by Bugs, who essentially confirmed what I just said.