Legions Mapping Competition Round 1

Poponfu

Lead Developer
The first Legions map making competition is starting. After 30 days from today anyone will be able to submit one map for voting as long as it follows the rules below. The map with the most votes after 1 week will be added to the game. There will be more rounds further down the road and refined maps that lose will be allowed to be resubmitted.

Its okay to start threads making your early versions available for your map before voting starts.

Rules:

-The main thing , you must create all the content for your map or use any existing Legions assets. Textures can be sourced from the web but need to be manipulated to suit your needs.

-Any game mode is allowed.

-Custom scripts are ok but will be examined by the devs if you win.

-A team of people working on a map is ok.

-If there are less than 3 quality submissions the contest is cancelled.

Submissions will begin on 5/22/2013
Voting will begin on 5/27/2013

Complete Editor Instructions

Fixious

Test Lead
I may throw my map into the ring. I started tweaking it a bit more lastnight for a while. Having some annoying issues with the OOB grid. There are a few things missing in this vid, but this is the general layout of it:

Xtreme

shaska's bff
I have made new map which I called 'Rural' (inspired by this group). My idea was to make something different than what we already have and I thought this kind of flag setup was interesting. The map feels quite empty atm but I was not sure whether to add objects or just make the map smaller. The terrain is not super smooth on purpose because I want that people will start pay attention to how they ski. I am still learning how to use terragen so for this time I have used some ready made skybox textures from here: http://reije081.home.xs4all.nl/skyboxes/

Comments & feedback are welcome !:)

DL: http://www.mediafire.com/?hugbytsrn7joc9v

To install just extract to your live folder. Before running the game remember to go to live/server/preferences/config.cs - open with notepad and add these lines in the corresponding sections:

$Host::Mission["CTF", "Rural"] = 45;

$Host::Maps::MissionFile[45] = $MissionPath @ "Rural.mis";
$Host::Maps::Weight[45] = 0.8;
$Host::Maps::MinPlayers[45] = 0;
$Host::Maps::MaxPlayers[45] = 24;

If the map appears too bright at first, open the editor (press F11) and go Lighting>>Full relight

Previews:

preview1.pngpreview2.pngpreview3.png
preview4.png

I

IzRaPiDz

Well, I've never really put a map up for download before so I don't know how this thing works. Anyway, I think I have it right!

Edit: Please let me know is there's any problems, such as lighting. Also a little feedback would be nice. Thank you and enjoy.

Theme: Rocky Desert map
Version: V.1
Difficulty: 5
Download: Here

Locate to this file:
C:\Users\IzStu_000\Desktop\Legions Overdrive\live\server\preferences\config.cs

Add the following code underneath //CTF:
Code:
$Host::Mission["CTF", "RockySands"] = 35;
Then, scroll to the next //CTF and add the following code underneath:
Code:
$Host::Maps::MissionFile[35] = $MissionPath @ "RockySands.mis";
$Host::Maps::Weight[35] = 0.8;
$Host::Maps::MinPlayers[35] = 0;
$Host::Maps::MaxPlayers[35] = 24;

Video:

Fixious

Test Lead
Terrain lighting was off a bit. I'm not entirely sure, but I think if you do a filtered relight it'll fix it permanently.

May want to change the blue fog as well, since it doesn't really go with the orange and yellow sky.

Fixious

Test Lead
Whiteout.

Download. Uses stock files, so just slap it in legions/live/missions and edit live/server/preferences/config appropriately (see IzRaPiDz's post above).

EwO4reDh.jpg

8RgpzBOh.png

eaWg9I3h.jpg

Dq99572h.png

Fixious

Test Lead

Definitely has potential. I'd still like to see at least one small smoothing pass, though. I also felt that by making my map a bit rough would force people to look where they're skiing, but in the end it just slows things down. Also, your map reminded me of something I forgot to include in my tutorial: double flags. See the update in this post regarding it and how to fix it.

http://forums.legionsoverdrive.com/...ic-basic-instructions-inside.5072/#post-98955

I

IzRaPiDz

Terrain lighting was off a bit. I'm not entirely sure, but I think if you do a filtered relight it'll fix it permanently.

May want to change the blue fog as well, since it doesn't really go with the orange and yellow sky.
To be honest, I didn't actually realise it had blue fog. I'll change that.

Poponfu

Lead Developer
Yes , please create things on your own. Being inspired by a map and recreating your vision of it is a-ok though.