Language Filter

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
Just a proposal, since there's a lot of Aussie posts, much of them coming from one particularly mature and well spoken Aussie (I'm looking at you Nighthawk). However, I get off track a lot. Anyways, the language barrier, if its used should block some Aussie bad words as well, such as *Whaler*.

Karnage

Private Tester
Yeah I agree, this should be put in because I bet there are a lot of under-age players :p and they don't want their mommy's hearing it from them lol
Frankly, in my experience it's the younger players who are the most fond of expletives because it makes them feel grown-up...

Hypnotoad

I like the idea of putting the old IA filter back in.

As long as people keep it to a minimum and the language isn't too vulgar, I don't see the harm in not having any filter. Nothing wrong with the odd s* and f* word, just another form of expression imo. Let's be honest, most ten year olds hear that and a lot more on the TV.

Peroxide

Well, I like to think we're all mature. If the odd "*chocolate cookies*" gets posted, oh well. If your post gets out of hand language-wise, expect Seymour to modify it or give a warning.

As for 'rules', as long as you're respectful to each other, Seymour's happy. As long as Seymour's happy, these boards will be more relaxed in their moderation. Seymour becomes unhappy, I unleash the full wrath of Gheist.

Lol couldnt have said it better specially for the wrath. muahahahahahahaa

Alex

lol...this thread remembers me of another thread on the IA forums where Disci(no hard feelings) explained to us how he made sex...ahemm how babies are made and something 'bout condoms i can't remember

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
@Nighthawk and enryu, I just did that myself, but it begins with a W and rhymes with "Shanker" anyways, maybe that's not such a bad word, and I know americans don't feel so strongly about that word (The FCC allows it on television, and doesn't allow many other swear words). Also, swear words are just an expression used by people who have a limited vocabulary or a limited capacity to really say what's in their minds. The occasional swear can be used for effective emphasis, I agree, but when somebody starts loading their posts up, then it is just the rantings of somebody who has trouble saying what's on their mind. That, or their fingers have tourettes.

That's an Australian word now?
Well, I suppose we tend to use it more than other countries, but still...
I don't think we invented it.
I thought you were talking about Wogs or something.

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
That word, too. Aussies and brits use the previously mentioned word much more than americans do. Americans prefer 'jerking,' 'fapping,' and many other words apart from 'wanking' or any of its derivatives. Just a culture difference, and if more aussies become involved, and slurs and curses that aren't used in other parts of the world start getting abused, they should get added even if they don't mean anything to the rest of the people on the site.

I love how you make the assumption that Aussies are to blame for all bad language.
Am I cursing in every sentence I write?
I throw one in every now and then when I'm getting particularly Passionate about what I'm writing, but it's not exactly that common.
Flamesstater swears not because he is an Aussie, but because he is Flamesstater. :p