L:O for Mac Users (Unofficial workaround)

Fixious

Test Lead
Just wondering, but the technology is there to get the game available for mac users... It's just a question of budget?

Not budget (since they have none), but rather worth the investment of time. The devs are finishing up the biggest update Legions has seen in, well, a really long time. After this they'll be tackling a much larger update (new engine). It'd be a better move to sneak in Mac support on the next iteration of Legions than to implement it on the current game. They're pressed for time as-is, and adding in Mac support right now just isn't feasible.

Levi

Not budget (since they have none), but rather worth the investment of time. The devs are finishing up the biggest update Legions has seen in, well, a really long time. After this they'll be tackling a much larger update (new engine). It'd be a better move to sneak in Mac support on the next iteration of Legions than to implement it on the current game. They're pressed for time as-is, and adding in Mac support right now just isn't feasible.
Yes, makes sense. Trying to work out 57th Romance's thing with mac support, but its not working.. God I miss legions!

57thRomance

Yes, makes sense. Trying to work out 57th Romance's thing with mac support, but its not working.. God I miss legions!
Have you updated your launcher recently? There have been a lot of changes to Legions since I first made the guide.

Levi

Have you updated your launcher recently? There have been a lot of changes to Legions since I first made the guide.
Well the problem is I can't open the login window. When I select "Launcher.exe" in Crossover Games using the xp bottle, thats when I get the error

57thRomance

2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo iMac OS X Version 10.5.8, 1 GB of Ram. On your youtube video on how to do this, I tell you the what the error window says. It says "Error - wine: Install the windows version of Mono to run .NET executables." So I never get to the login window
Do you have (at least) the 2.0 .NET framework installed? And I'd suggest getting more RAM for that VM ;)

57thRomance

Can I just search it on google and download and install?
1.) Open up Crossover.
2.) Go to Configure in the top bar and select "Install Software..."
3.) Where Crossover asks you to "Select an application to install," click on the arrow to the left of Runtime Support Components, then scroll down and click on Microsoft .NET Framework (you should install 2.0 or higher). When you do this, "Select an installer" should turn into "Will download the installer from [web link]."
4.) Where Crossover asks you to "Select a bottle in which to install," select the bottle that you have set to run Legions on. Make sure you install it in the same bottle as you would install the Direct X utility (you can also find this in "Runtime Support Components").
5.) Just click "Yes" and "I agree" to whatever windows come up for the installation process.
6.) Go to Programs in the top bar, select Run Command..., choose the Launcher.exe and the bottle you have your utilities installed on, and you should be good to go!

Note: This process is much easier than google-searching the .NET framework because afaik, the latest edition of this utility requires a valid Windows license, and the Crossover software is only an emulation of the OS.

Levi

1.) Open up Crossover.
3.) Where Crossover asks you to "Select an application to install," click on the arrow to the left of Runtime Support Components, then scroll down and click on Microsoft .NET Framework (you should install 2.0 or higher). When you do this, "Select an installer" should turn into "Will download the installer from [web link]."
4.) Where Crossover asks you to "Select a bottle in which to install," select the bottle that you have set to run Legions on. Make sure you install it in the same bottle as you would install the Direct X utility (you can also find this in "Runtime Support Components").
5.) Just click "Yes" and "I agree" to whatever windows come up for the installation process.
6.) Go to Programs in the top bar, select Run Command..., choose the Launcher.exe and the bottle you have your utilities installed on, and you should be good to go!

Note: This process is much easier than google-searching the .NET framework because afaik, the latest edition of this utility requires a valid Windows license, and the Crossover software is only an emulation of the OS.
Thanks so much, I'm sorry for wasting so much time. If this works, you are my hero

Levi

it shouldn't be a waste of time if we're getting another player:)
Hahaha true dude. God I miss legions. I'm running into more problems! Apparently they discontinued crossover games, and I'm searching pirate bay, mediafire, everywhere, nothing works :(

k e v i n

Private Tester
Hahaha true dude. God I miss legions. I'm running into more problems! Apparently they discontinued crossover games, and I'm searching pirate bay, mediafire, everywhere, nothing works :(
well i hope everything works out for you, i don't have a mac, so i can't help you much

Levi

IT WORKS!!!!!!! YESSSSSSSSSSSS
GET ON LEEEEJUUNZZZZZZ NOWWWWWW
Not a prob, I hope it works!
ii
1.) Open up Crossover.

It works. <3

Arcranine

Hey Romance, first off thanks so much for the instructions. I was very uplifted to find that there is a way for me to get back into legions since the termination of instantaction.com.

I am having a problem with legions though. I followed your video to the letter, and i can boot up legions and get to the servers page, but when i try to select one the game crashes. Do you have any input on why this is happening and how to get around it?

Some background info: I am currently running a trial version of CrossOver (version 13.0 i believe), since i wanted to see if it would work before i go and buy the actual thing.
My computer's specs are:
Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac7,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
My software version currently is a 10.6.8, but when I first bought the computer it was working off of 10.5

Thanks for bringing back Legions for us mac users, and I hope you have the solution to my issue!

57thRomance

Yeah, as much as I hate to say it, you'd be much better off using Robbz's method in the link Fixious provided. It's much easier to do since you don't need Crossover for it and don't really have to install anything else besides PlayOnMac and the launcher. Even I don't use my method anymore.

Last edited: