It would be cool if we could mod our gear for others to see....

The 3 classes are nice.. but I want to add colors and maybe even sexy clan logo or something. Sure it is nice to have a red team and blue team.... but everybody just looks at the red and green names anyways. It would be fun to put a target on my back... not like there isn't already an invisible one that gives people this urge to shoot at me for no reason...... I call finders keepers on the flag.........

The difficulty kirby is that any skins that you create would only be visible to Other people who have the skins (or at least that's my understanding of it, from all the MP games I've played).
It would still work in that everyone who Wants to see your skins could DL them, and thus see and use said skins, but if every player in the game made one set of skins, downloading them all would be an absolute pain.

I am not a game dev or anything so I don't know how it works =P. This is just something I thought would be cool.

I guess I was kind of hoping it would be like our sigs. We can upload the images onto our account and the put the box somewhere on the armor in the place that we like or like the sigs we have now it would go to a set box. Our cpu would dl the information and put it in a temp folder that would be nicely cleaned once we leave a server. I am sure the memory for skins is not so big that even a 25 vs 25 ctf game would cause someone to take more then 10 more seconds to load in the game.

In tribes vengeance they gave us that other program that let us mess with the animations remember? It would be cool if we got a seperate program that helped us customize the look of our gear and save a compressed code of that work of art. We can then upload that compressed file and have our new armor for others to see.

Just a thought.... I dream big...........do you know Megan Fox has a crush on me.....

57thEnryu

yes, Yes, YES, I WAS JUST THINKING THAT MYSELF!!!!!!

Wait, Megan is cheating on me?! what a way to find out....

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
I'd say probably have it so that you upload your skin to Overdrive and which would compress it into a file with other skins made by others (it would also check for things like file size and dimensions to make sure its compatible). Whenever you download a new version of Legions, you would be prompted to update your skin database. Then, when playing you would have access to them, and if someone has a skin you can't see, it just goes back to the default blue/red.

Though if we could mess with animations, we could make all sorts of taunts... We could even have contests to see who could make the best dancing Legionnaire lol! That would be pretty funny.

luiscm97

what ill like the most is like to make an emblem for a clan and it to appear in the chest or i dont know andput the color that you want to the armor

theGOAT

i second it a special skin for every clan.. it will make being on a clan more special..., and it will be awesome

Mabeline

God-Tier
Allowing for people to see each others skin modifications is a non-trivial technical challenge. How is the downloading system implemented? Does the client have to wait to upload their skin to the server? How do clients get each others skins? Are they sent from the client machine or the server? How do you keep the client from blowing out their upload bandwidth and triggering their ISP's network shaping, turning their gameplay into a pile of mud? How does the server not blow ITS bandwidth budget transferring files to clients? What skins show up on the players in the meantime? Where do the skins get downloaded to? What is the texture size limit? How many custom skins can a player download before we clear out the backlog?

Our game servers are not file servers, they have limited bandwidth and space. Client-client downloading quickly become ugly. Texture packages come in at something like 1.25MB/set, that's way too much data for a client machine to upload to a server full of people. The whole system can be also abused in ways you can't even imagine.

No.

57thEnryu

Our game servers are not file servers, they have limited bandwidth and space. Client-client downloading quickly become ugly. Texture packages come in at something like 1.25MB/set, that's way too much data for a client machine to upload to a server full of people. The whole system can be also abused in ways you can't even imagine.

No.
I wast thinking so much about public servers, but what about when Legions allows us to create our own servers? Can we put our own custom skins on there?

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
Allowing for people to see each others skin modifications is a non-trivial technical challenge. How is the downloading system implemented? Does the client have to wait to upload their skin to the server? How do clients get each others skins? Are they sent from the client machine or the server? How do you keep the client from blowing out their upload bandwidth and triggering their ISP's network shaping, turning their gameplay into a pile of mud? How does the server not blow ITS bandwidth budget transferring files to clients? What skins show up on the players in the meantime? Where do the skins get downloaded to? What is the texture size limit? How many custom skins can a player download before we clear out the backlog?

No.

What about this... Someone from the community maintains an available skins thread to which people upload their own skins in the form of posts (or PM's). This person will check them for abuse purposes and if acceptable, add them to a file-share account under the name of the skin's creator and the name of the individual skin. People would download (at their leisure) skins from this filesharing site which would not tax Overdrive's bandwidth whatsoever and insert them into a skins folder. Then, all Legions has to do is when things are loading, transfer the names of skins from one person to another. If someone else has it, they see that skin. If not, they just see the standard.

This would yield almost no taxation on the bandwidth of Legions and would be independent. All that would be required would be some local variables, a transmitted file name, and an if <file> exists statement in the code. The only thing that Legions would have to worry about would be transmitting file names, but those things are in bytes, nothing more.

Everybody wins?

Alex

The difficulty kirby is that any skins that you create would only be visible to Other people who have the skins (or at least that's my understanding of it, from all the MP games I've played).
It would still work in that everyone who Wants to see your skins could DL them, and thus see and use said skins, but if every player in the game made one set of skins, downloading them all would be an absolute pain.
yes but take WoW for example and the guild tabard logos that you can create...you use a set of textures that are already implemented into the game..and combine them to create new stuff...you just need a lot of textures and elements

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
Perhaps someone could have a skin rating system and could potentially organize them into different categories once there were enough such as clan, comical, individual, camo, etc...

Fahrenheit451

Legions Developer
yes but take WoW for example and the guild tabard logos that you can create...you use a set of textures that are already implemented into the game..and combine them to create new stuff...you just need a lot of textures and elements

This is essentially what was taking place with custom skins and player components in fel. As we are still in the infancy of this project... we really aren't considering an iteration like this just yet.

Alex

This is essentially what was taking place with custom skins and player components in fel. As we are still in the infancy of this project... we really aren't considering an iteration like this just yet.
sure...i don't mind i myself are not bothered if we can only have 2 colours or 1 my only concern is the gameplay...i really hope it didn't change..you know fast-paced action-packed guns-blazing jets-soaring game