Improvements to Rabbit

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
Okay, I am writing this out here just so that people know what changes must be made to Rabbit. With legions 1.40 right around the corner, perhaps I should have made this post sooner, but nevertheless, these changes will need to be instigated at some point.

First up, an obvious one and one that has already been mentioned but I'll reiterate it again. The flag carrier does not turn red. Likewise, when you are the carrier, everyone remains green. Top of the list to be fixed really. The glitch where you spawn out of bounds still exists too.

BAN SNIPER

The point system also I feel needs some alterations as well. 1 point should be given for picking up the flag, as well as 1 point for killing the flag carrier. Another point should be given if you kill the flag carrier with a midair (Unsure if this should include bolt or not though). -1 point for killing another player though.

I have decided that points should not be given for a kill, unless a midair was achieved. This will make hitting midair's an extra incentive, adding to the skill level of the game.

Yeah the map restrictions seem silly now. Still, I wouldn't recommended playing bumpier maps like gorge or stygain, and again I think 12-14 is the optimal size for a rabbit game, but perhaps that will be too small for some of the larger maps too though.

Perhaps the flag return count down could be reduced to 15 seconds?

Reduce game length time to 15 minutes. I want this gametype to be a fun alternative to CTF. Having shorter game times would probably help with this.

Do all these things and rabbit will be made 10x more enjoyable. Thoughts everyone?

Crisis12096

I like it. But why not Nivosus/Moonshine for smaller rabbit games? Bolt should not give a point on a mid-air, unless rockets give two points.
I don't think 1 point should be given for picking up the flag, maybe if it's a mid-air catch? Or, the first point should be given more quickly after a pick up. But you shouldn't get a point for just picking it up off the ground.
Ban sniper? I don't know. Reduce the damage, maybe? I don't like the idea of banning it.

Other than that, yes, I like it. I like it a lot. Especially the turn the flag carrier red piece, keeping it green is a turn off for all new players are try out rabbit for the first time.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
I like it. But why not Nivosus/Moonshine for smaller rabbit games?

The maps suck. Badly.

Bolt should not give a point on a mid-air, unless rockets give two points.

Naw, I've decided against bolt giving a point for midair.

I don't think 1 point should be given for picking up the flag, maybe if it's a mid-air catch? Or, the first point should be given more quickly after a pick up. But you shouldn't get a point for just picking it up off the ground.

The thing is, a person can pickup a flag when everyone is fighting over it, he tries to run, but he gets killed 4 seconds after he picked up the flag. His score? 0 points for doing that.

Ban sniper? I don't know. Reduce the damage, maybe? I don't like the idea of banning it.

Must be banned else people can snipe the flag carrier and get a point for it under my system. Reducing the damage would be pointless as that would mess with the game's continuity over the different gametypes.

Levi

I feel that the moments in rabbit where no one has the flag and everyones just shooting at it... I think we could work on that part, cause sometimes no one has the flag for like 2 minutes, and the part that makes rabbit interesting is working on your chasing/speed, not shooting the flag

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
I feel that the moments in rabbit where no one has the flag and everyones just shooting at it... I think we could work on that part, cause sometimes no one has the flag for like 2 minutes, and the part that makes rabbit interesting is working on your chasing/speed, not shooting the flag

Agreed, but I see no feasible way to do this. Really, someone is usually good enough to pick up the flag and get things going again.

Crisis12096

Well, rabbit also improves your skill to pick up the flag when it's being shot at. It's a pretty useful skill to be able to get the flag even when there's so much going on around it. So, I don't think this is a bad part of the game.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
Perhaps the flag return count down could be reduced to 15 seconds? This would make the game faster paced.

ZanteWarrior

Private Tester
Maps should be the bigger maps, through experience these maps work better cause people tend not to get to the edges often and hold the flag more.

Blade Run
Zenith
Fallout
Core
Forgotten (Maybe, never actually played rabbit on this map)

I agree with reducing time for the game to 15min that sounds about right. It is very fast paced and those who are good usually take the lead early and keep it anyway. Shorter matches make sense.

I think you should get points for killing the flag carrier with any weapon but should get more points for keeping the flag. 3 points a second for holding the flag but 1 point for killing flag carrier. You get alot of kills in a rabbit game so i feel it will be balanced. So that someone who never picked up the flag cant win the game.

The only weapon that should be banned is sniper. If you get 3 good snipers in a game, then it wont become rabbiting anymore and since people are so good at chasing nowadays noone really keeps the flag the whole game anymore.

Fixious

Test Lead
Remove the bounce from rocket splash. It should make it easier to pickup when it's loose, making the game a bit faster paced. Trying to pick it up currently is just retarded since everyone shoots it and wastes time.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
I disagree, I believe the base mechanics of all gametypes should be kept the same. As I see it, rabbit can be used as a training device for CTF chasing and flag pickups and returning, if we do what you are suggesting, then the latter part is removed. I think this system would be much better:

Perhaps the flag return count down could be reduced to 15 seconds?

Propkid

>OD is the only core for this game mode
>When flag is dropped, all players return to full hp, all weapons and OD deal zero damage yet still cause impact/push.
Discuss?

Piggeh

Puzzlemaster
>OD is the only core for this game mode
>When flag is dropped, all players return to full hp, all weapons and OD deal zero damage yet still cause impact/push.
Discuss?
A flaw I can see is someone throwing the flag, being returned to full hp, then boosting and catching it. I suppose you could just limit it to the flag being dropped and not thrown (though I'm not sure how the engine differentiates between the two).
I would kind of like to see warp core used in rabbit - with warp core it's harder to pick up the flag, but easier to hold on to it.

If possible to make game-mode specific, perhaps adding more weight to the flag would help.
I think this would screw with most of us who are soo used to the current flag physics. Seeing as Rabbit is a game type that people rarely play, it seems sort of silly to mess with everyone's understanding of flag physics merely for a game type. Yes, Rabbit has some unique aspects to it (increased health, etc etc), but when you start messing with the physics, it seems overkill.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
(increased health, 99 boost nades, etc etc),

Not true, still only have 5.

Anyhow, I have decided that points should not be given for a kill, unless a midair was achieved. This will make hitting midair's an extra incentive, adding to the skill level of the game.

Fixious

Test Lead
A flaw I can see is someone throwing the flag, being returned to full hp, then boosting and catching it. I suppose you could just limit it to the flag being dropped and not thrown (though I'm not sure how the engine differentiates between the two).
I would kind of like to see warp core used in rabbit - with warp core it's harder to pick up the flag, but easier to hold on to it.

You can't throw the flag in Rabbit (I don't think).

Fixious

Test Lead
Limit it to Outriders. No sents or raiders (or engineers. lol turrets in rabbit). Nice, fast gameplay.