How to play heavy?

moronval

Private Tester
offensive sentinel and sent capping was a thing i practiced a few years back. it worked then, but i don't know how things are now on the competitive scene with all the fancy new cores and weapons. OP is right about them having very restricted movement and back when they were behemoths during IA days it suited them. They had movement decreased but they were hell to take down, but is it still easy to kill a sentinel? you probably won't find any heavy capping/heavy O even in pugs unless you've practiced it for years and you're good at it.

edit: also you can't just come into the game with the same expectations and assumptions you carry from tribes and other FPS+Z shooters, otherwise every game is just the same *chocolate cookies* wrapped in a different flavor. If the sentinels were never meant to be able to cap or duel as well/on par with other suits then they simply won't. and that's how it'll be.

Xtreme

shaska's bff
This isn't Tribes, unfortunately

fixd!

Seriously though,

Everyone sucks at using it

Did you ever stop to think why? If you consider the pace of this game, heavy is barely able to keep up (imagine what you would do without iOD!). Also, unless you time your shot carefully in sync with your maximum momentum at that moment, mortar has quite *chocolate cookies* range.

Yes, heavy's shortcomings are perfectly convenient for us. But this discussion is going nowhere when the ppl here have such attitudes. Just the other day dabbleh was trying to argue with me what's the point to learn routes if in competition play you will never be able to execute them exactly how you learned them? First of all that's not true because I am following the same sequence of hills, regardless of competition or casual scenario. Second of all, whether or not I make a clean grab and actually cap has nothing to do with learning routes but depends a lot on your teammates. In the end I think he just wanted to prove that stygian is a terrible map, but his approach surprised me.

Sorry maybe it seems off topic but in fact it's directly related. Because this kind of thinking ('without using your brains' as disci would so passionately say) is responsible for the death of this game.

. Because this kind of thinking ('without using your brains' as disci would so passionately say) is responsible for the death of this game.
it was honestly never 200% alive either.

though its just as this yuroh said, heavy is just 2fat to keep up already and i doubt it was designed to keep up at all. its really good at the things its meant to do, which is defense. if you are being serious about learning heavy offense, your going to have to use mobility and reflex. under no format is camping a hill and uselessly spamming R+click and then repositioning on your hill, then waiting for core timer is gonna help anyone out

Sin

Private Tester
Sorry maybe it seems off topic but in fact it's directly related. Because this kind of thinking ('without using your brains' as disci would so passionately say) is responsible for the death of this game.

Without my brain? Seems as it would be the opposite, considering I do quite well with the current heavy. Making things easier is not the fix to lack of player skill. Mortar does ridiculous damage using it right, and has the range has been nerfed before due to how overpowered is was. The only aspect I see deserving of a light buff would be the explode timer, perhaps a reduction of 0.2 or less seconds.

though its just as this yuroh said, heavy is just 2fat to keep up already and i doubt it was designed to keep up at all. its really good at the things its meant to do, which is defense. if you are being serious about learning heavy offense, your going to have to use mobility and reflex. under no format is camping a hill and uselessly spamming R+click and then repositioning on your hill, then waiting for core timer is gonna help anyone out
Thank you. Finally someone thinking. It can be used effectively as heavy offense, just needs skilled players. Which, in case anyone has noticed, Legions seems to be lacking in lately, at least as far as heavy goes.

Application-1

test bester
I used to have a a few sentinel videos on youtube but I deleted them all at some point. I regret that now because I could shown a few stuff of it here and explain why HO is still increadibly viable (especially on small maps).

So I thought, you know what, lets make a simple video on frostbyte (the most pugged map as we all know) and explain some HO stuff around it.
So as you can see we got 3 simple heavy routes on both sides. Notice that with all of the cap routes I maintain a high hp pool. That you can cap the flag as a sent while going 140-150 average on your return means a lot. Let's break down the offensive role for heavies first.

As a HO you got a few choices:
- Clear the flagstand
- Be the biggest dick the enemy HoF has ever seen
- E-grab
- Flag pass
- Actually cap the enemy flag

Clearing the flagstand is simple. Shoot a mortar at the enem flagstand/HoF and if the HoF is dead you shoot it at their chaser (those guys on the towers most of the time). After you shot that you iOD into their HoF and keep doing that. Here comes being(/having) the biggest dick part. You just go 1v1 mode on their HoF, you constantly shoot and iOD him to get him from the flag. Of course the enemy defense will try to get you off their HoF. But if there are 2 people riding your big dick then I am quite sure you are doing a pretty good job at distracting for your capper. Be the anti-HoF. In early stages while practising you might die pretty fast but when you learn to time you iOD's and become a better dueler you will see you can last pretty long (Get it? You being the big dick and all. Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaa).

Now e-grabbing is pretty easy as HO. Where as a outrider/raider might get shot out the way you can go full ham and get on that flag. You lose half your hp perhaps but you get it. After you get it you iOD out and throw it out or you pass that thing to your cappers direction. Or if you just need to stall for some time and you still have a lot of hp left you might find it benificial to just fly around with it and then throwing it somewhere.

Back on that flag pass. As a heavy you can just iOD up after you got the flag and throw it to a agreed point for the capper to pick it up.

And last but not least. Is your capper not on his way yet and you see a good oppurtunity to get that flag. Then get it and go for a cap wich on a map like frostbyte can be done as good as other classes.

Now the key to all of this stuff is timing. Yes even you filthy casual LO people. If your timing is not good then it does not matter what class you play you will do it poorly.

This is how we play HO when in7 stuff and pugs happened. I would still do it but as we all know euro pugs are non existent. However it is still increadibly viable.

Looking for a way to play HO in pubs? Well first of all you must realize you are playing a pub. Secondly you are playing a pub. Thirdly yeah it is still a pub. Just play it as one. Try to cap the flag a few times or go to the enemy base and get better at dueling as heavy.

El finito.

Also I used to have more sentinel videos showing some cap routes. As you can see the frostbyte ones are pretty basic. If you would like to see another map then just ask. I had fun doing this post so I might make more heavy vids anyway.

Last edited:

Application-1

test bester
=THE_TROOPER= is great yeah. Most of his videos use the old cluster launcher jump because it was pretty good but replacing it with a RJ should help enough aswell. Just putting that out there as I still use some of his routes.

Xtreme

shaska's bff
Without my brain? Seems as it would be the opposite, considering I do quite well with the current heavy

It was not a personal insult, I was just referring to the general lack of objectivity of those contribute to discussions here.

oh I agree, but I mean this was the reason any respectable players have left by now

Gheist

King of all Goblins
=THE_TROOPER= used to be great at heavy capping and heavy O, imo he was the reason [null] were at the top, back in the days of BFCL2, and he's still got a few of his old sentinel clips up on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/LegionSentinel/videos
He didn't play HO in comp though. ;) Sad that "Omen" is gone, such a nice seizure-inducing video!

Edit: Weird, here it is! Doesn't show up for me in the channel's video list though, might be related to the copyright stuff here in Germany.