How did this happen?

Binswees

I never heard anything about it, and I guess nobody knows, but why the F*CK did the game change so horrible much from the early stages, shown in these videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McJXSwc9l_E&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rOPjGTgzrE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX-LHFhFHhs

Sorry if this has been covered already, then link me to that thread and close this one.

Imo that looked so much sexier. Especially the first video, damn I wanna fly around on that map.

Gheist

King of all Goblins
Atlas Terrain. Looks shiny, but, in the end, is totally unusable. Sad but true. Also, notice that that's stuff from 2006. Mere tech demos, nothing more.

Fissurez

Puzzlemaster
the second video looks pretty complicated for a demo XD

what is atlas terrain btw, and why is unusable?

Daphinicus

Private Tester
The grass you see in the first video's still possible; it was just taken out somewhere along the way. I've been pushing to have Mabe reintroduce it for maps like Moonshine, but it's low-priority, especially since we don't have any grass maps people actually play just yet. The rest of what makes those maps looks good is a one-two punch of higher-resolution terrain (as Gheist said, pretty but unusable in actual gameplay) and a larger number of applicable textures. For whatever reason, we're limited to only FOUR textures on a map's terrain, which is so ludicrously few it makes me cry tears of liquefied agony.

There are a couple things to remember. First, we're working with what we were given when IA shut down, and we have one coder -- ONE -- tooling regularly with the engine. Bugs and DeadGuy do more script work, which is gametypes, weapons, and the like; it's really just Mabe doing serious coding. There's a lot to be done; give the guy a break. =)

And second, the more complex we make the visuals, the harder it is on the low-enders who play Legions. A LOT of the people who frequent the servers are playing on extremely low-end systems (no offense, folks!). Making the game prettier affects a subset of the playerbase; making the game more FUN affects everyone. Given our manpower restrictions, I'd rather be doing the latter than the former.

Mabeline

God-Tier
The engine is terribly inefficient and can hardly handle what is on screen now.

Also you don't want to fly around that map, the terrain file would have been bigger than the entire install. The terrain technology you see there is incredibly inefficient and impossible to iterate with. The file size is just one of the many horrible downsides of that system.

Can you really imagine playing on that map? The scale is ridiculous, you'd need a huge amount of people to make it workable. It would be one of the least fun and worst performing games I'd ever played, right next to Saints Row 2.

Binswees

lol I didn't say "play" on that map, i said just to try and fly / skii around on a bit, but I would love some better designed maps with that sexy looking *chocolate cookies* on them.

But I understand now, thank you guys!

Binswees

But how come the skiing and jetting was so different? what made them change the physics and everything? That looked way more like classic tribes.

Daphinicus

Private Tester
But how come the skiing and jetting was so different? what made them change the physics and everything? That looked way more like classic tribes.

Yeah, I noticed that too. Horrible skiing, slow movement; Legions is much faster, smoother, tighter. I love Tribes, and T2 will remain my favorite game of all time, but it didn't age well.