Game Improvement

SNAKEOPS

Well, I'm going to be making a tutorial on how to fix lag and FPS issues as much as possible.

Note that this guide mainly applies to Windows 7, since it's what I'm using and I think (assume) most of the community is.

Windows 7: There tend to be two types of issues, FPS and lag, that Legionnaire players encounter. I'm going to handle FPS first, since that's really what players tend to have, nowadays.

Disk Cleanup: It removes any unwanted files from the system, basically deleting useless garbage. Make sure, if you know of files that you don't want, put in the Recycle Bin.

Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup

You should do this about once or every 2 months. Sometimes your computer collects temporary files that are unnecessary, they may take up disk space over time.

When it launches up, it may take a while, since it's scanning disk. When a taller screen pops up in its place, click on Disk Cleanup Tab, check-mark all the files you wish to delete. (It won't harm your computer). Then, click on the "More Options". Under Programs and Feature, click on "Clean up...."

Check the list of programs on there, if there are some you downloaded, but don't want anymore, click on the name, and click on the Uninstall tab. Remember, you can only uninstall one program at a time.

After you uninstalled all the programs you don't want, go back to Disk Cleanup window and then click "Ok", on the bottom. It may take a while to clean.

Defragment: Defragging your disk, makes your disk neater and makes it uncluttered. It helps your system's overall performance.

Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools> Defragmentation

The disk drive that you need to defrag is usually (C:) , forget about "System". Highlight the (C:) by clicking on it once or twice, then click Analyze. It may take some time, for older computers. But, newer computers will usually have it done by matters of seconds sometimes. When it's done analyzing, if it says 2% or higher, I would recommend clicking on defragging. It may take minutes, or hours depending on if you defrag constantly.

Computers less than a 6 months old, generally only need to defrag once a month. But, older than that, you should defrag once a week.

In-Game Options: If you don't mind lowering the quality in-game, to increase fps, here's so.
Launch the game, and log-in. Go to Settings, and then go to "Graphics" tab.

One option is to uncheck the Full Screen Mode. The smaller your game application, the better the fps.
Another option is to go to Options>Video> and then change the Resolution. You can choose a lower quality. Or, you can customize it, and lower the quality of some objects in-game, that you don't mind. For this, review http://forums.legionsoverdrive.com/threads/legions-lite.24/
Credit goes to Moronval.

Another thing you could do is change the way your windows appear, and generally how your desktops task bar looks.
Start>Right click 'my computer'>properties>advanced system settings. Under the 'advanced' tab click the performance settings, on the next window select the third radio button that says 'adjust for best performance', click apply. You'll see a drastic change to your usual desktop appearance, but it's a small disadvantage in comparison to how fast the computer then runs.
Credit to Voltage.

Sometimes, there are programs and processes running that eat up your computer's energy and reducing it's performance. Simply press CTRL Shift and ESC at the same time. Click on Applications Tab, if you see any applications that you don't want running, simply right click it and click "End Task". Then, go to Processes tab, if you see a process that is still running that you don't want, for example, firefox.exe sometimes still runs even when I close the application, right click it, and then click on "End Process".

Credits to Volt.

There are some more steps and things you may take, if you want.
http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web...2646EN&nl_service=default&externallinks=false

Lag: This is due to internet connection issues.

If you tend to get lag in-game, ask if anyone else is having lag, if multiple players say no, then it's on your end.

Using the ethernet instead of wireless will make your ping more stable. Which is much better.

If you decide to use wireless, make sure to bend the antenna on your router towards you.
If you can upgrade your internet, contact your ISP for further details.

SNAKEOPS

In this post, I will detail how to reduce the response time of your keyboard.

Click on Start, type in Keyboard and select "Keyboard" under Control Panel, under Repeat Delay: Move the mark all the way to Short.

Then, under Repeat Rate: Move the mark all the way to fast.

After this, close it. Then go back to Start, type in Keyboard again and then choose "Change how your keyboard works"

Checkmark "Turn on Filter Keys" then click on "Set up Filter Keys" Click on "Turn on Repeat Keys and Slow Keys". After filling the circle next to it, Click on "Setup Repeat Keys and Slow Keys".

Under "Avoid Accidental Keystrokes" Make the seconds 0.0 instead of 1.0. Go down to "Avoid repeated keystrokes when you hold down a key" check, "Slow down keyboard repeat rates" and make both time intervals 0.3 seconds.

Congratulations on making your keyboard respond faster! Note, you'll probably see that you're typing a bit slower, if you try to spam a certain key. But, your game play in the game will be faster since your keyboard responds nearly a second faster, which improves your movement.

SNAKEOPS

Another way to drastically increase performance is to change your battery performance or your computer's power plan.

Here is the step by step guide. http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/774-power-plan-select.html

If you're simply using the laptop, go down to the toolbar on the bottom right of the screen, click on the battery icon and click on "More Power Options". And click on the arrow next to "Hide Additional Plans" after some plans have popped out, choose High Performance and close it.

Voltage

Puzzlemaster
I use vista at home, 7 at my uncle's. Another thing you could do is change the way your windows appear, and generally how your desktops taskbar looks.
Start>Right click 'my computer'>properties>advanced system settings. Under the 'advanced' tab click the performance settings, on the next window select the third radio button that says 'adjust for best performance', click apply.

You'll see a drastic change to your usual desktop appearance, but it's a small disadvantage in comparison to how fast the computer then runs. I can now tolerate the graphic lag I face on my computer whilst playing legions due to it.

It can be done on both Vista and 7.

SNAKEOPS

True, but if you are not in fullscreen, then your computer must also render Areo, which is a reasonable drain.
I'm not much educated on Areo, since I've been using XP for a long time and recently upgraded to 7. What Voltage suggested, doesn't it disable Areo?

Voltage

Puzzlemaster
It does disable Aero, which has a great performance boost on my computer. What I said will make your Windows 7 desktop look like its Windows XP. If you aren't so fussy about cosmetics, do it. If not, don't.

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
First off, disk cleanup isn't going to speed up your computer any unless it's doing some magic I'm not aware of. Also, defragging is automatically performed in Win7 and doesn't help general performance. It helps load times. When you have fragmented programs, it slows the computer's ability to load the files from memory in the first place. Once running, you are limited by other things like GPU, CPU, etc. It is of significantly more use to defrag before a major install than to do weekly ones unless you have massive amounts of data constantly being stored/deleted from your disk.

Also, it is faster to access Task Manager via Ctrl+Shift+Esc as that runs the program directly rather than taking you to the Ctrl+Alt+Delete menu first.

If you want higher FPS, Legions Lite and adjusting your computer's power plan are probably your best options.

SNAKEOPS

Thanks, I am a tester for companies and install/uninstall multiple games. I also check out games on Steam, which is why I do it a lot. Thanks though, keep the tips coming! I really appreciate it.

k e v i n

Private Tester
a lot of useful tips, thnx
i also use windowed mode ever since i started playing legions, i find that it does increase my fps...plus it's just easier when i have to switch to different programs while playing legions, and it's also easier for me to see ts3 whenever i am on

SNAKEOPS

a lot of useful tips, thnx
i also use windowed mode ever since i started playing legions, i find that it does increase my fps...plus it's just easier when i have to switch to different programs while playing legions, and it's also easier for me to see ts3 whenever i am on

Hope it was helpful! And yes, same here, I like to listen to music while playing the game. Makes it awesome!

Also, free likes to people who post in here. JK, let's not spam this thread lol.

Pure

Imo just install Legions Lite and see where that gets you cause it's not worth it to make windows look like *chocolate cookies* also. If still you need more fps get game booster it has an option to disable windows aero and close other programs or just close em your self in task manger. I used to do all of this, without anything I got 25-30 fps with legions lite 30-60 and if I disabled aero 40-70 fps.

SNAKEOPS

so is it better to play full screen or in window
Depends, if Aero is on, full screen would be better. If you disabled it, windowed.
Imo just install Legions Lite and see where that gets you cause it's not worth it to make windows look like *chocolate cookies* also. If still you need more fps get game booster it has an option to disable windows aero and close other programs or just close em your self in task manger. I used to do all of this, without anything I got 25-30 fps with legions lite 30-60 and if I disabled aero 40-70 fps.
Who is really concerned with having what the task-bar on the bottom looks like? I don't mind things looking a bit ugly or different, since it doesn't bother me. Also, plus for improving fps is a bonus.