FMC 2011: Freedom of Movement Coliseum (duel competition idea)

n33d 4 w33d

"I am required to kill, so I kill. That is enough." -Maximus

The Coliseum, a veritable proving ground for battle-tested gladiators; where bloodthirsty fans delight in the spectacle of one fighter's demise over another's passionate triumph. Here, the resolve of combatants is relentlessly tested and scrutinized. Devastating grenades punish those who doubt their opponent's accuracy for even the slightest moment. A succession of chaingun bullets penetrate the easily telegraphed. Hand grenades measured with deadly intent add a potent secondary assault. And well-placed rockets annihilate those who presume that flying is the safest form of travel. Skills honed over years of training will be challenged, and legends will emerge. The Freedom of Movement Coliseum summons YOU, Warrior!

FMC 2011: Freedom of Movement Coliseum Rules:

Bracket Competition

• 1v1 Bracket-style Duel Competition
  • All armor/weapon load outs are permitted
  • Competitions will be separated by regions to allow for fair level of play due to latency differences (i.e- FMC 2011: U.S, FMC 2011: Europe)
  • Each match consists of a first-to-30 series of duels between two players; that is, the first combatant to kill the other 30 times will proceed to the next round
  • A mercy rule will be in effect which will automatically eliminate any combatant who falls behind by 20 kills in a match (i.e- 23-3)
  • To ensure fair initiation of each individual duel, an impartial "referee" will stand between the two combatants and max-toss a hand grenade in the air. The duel will begin upon explosion
  • The winner of each match moves on to face the winner of another match in the same tier of the bracket
  • Ultimately, the best player from each side of the bracket will meet in a much anticipated Finals match!
FMC: Finals Rules

• 1v1 Duel
  • The match will be an intense first-to-35 war between the two finalists
  • All armor/weapon load outs are permitted
  • To ensure fair initiation of each individual duel, an impartial "referee" will stand between the two combatants and max-toss a hand grenade in the air. The duel will begin upon explosion
  • The victor will be crowned the 2011 Freedom of Movement Coliseum Champion!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With the recent success of the Summer Extravaganza Tournament, I thought that this would be another great tournament and another way to get the community involved and get some competitive juices flowing again. Just an idea.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
  • All combatants are only permitted to use 'Medium Armor' load outs
  • Only traditional Legions weapons will be available to combatants: RL, CG, GL, LR and Hand grenades will be allowed
If the competition will have these rules, I doubt many will play sadly. If it wasn't for these two things, I' be willing to sign up right now.

Also, a better way of starting duels is for one competitor to throw a max hand grenade ( or an impartial ref)

U8er

Great ideas w33d!

While I agree that raider works best for 1v1 duels, some people don't have a lot of practice with any class other than their preferred one, so I would say that all the classes should be available. As for weapons, why not allow the newer ones? I for one would not have as much fun if I couldn't use the plasma. If the mortar is a concern then I'm sure people could come to a consensus that it should be disallowed, while the rest of the new weapons can be used. Though it is possible to duel in even OR against a mortar totting heavy.

I really think that the required points to win should be much higher. It would decrease the chances of winning by flukes greatly. perhaps first to 30, or best out of 50. There are a lot of things that get to people the longer a duel goes on, like nerves for example that otherwise would not have a chance to manifest in a quick one.

Region locking is definitely a must for a duel competition, unfortunately. East & West coast for North America isn't a big deal for most people, but the difference between someone pinging 30-50 and 130-150 is pretty huge. While you could always argue that people can get used to it, they're never going to perform quite as well as they would when they don't have to be looking something like 90 degrees away from their target to hit them.

A max tossed hand grenade by a referee would make for a great start to each round.

I'd really like to see the community embrace dueling more than it does now, It would be awesome if this got some backing and help from others to make it happen.

n33d 4 w33d

I appreciate any feedback as this is just a suggestion. I suppose the mortar is the only concern with the possibility of players using mortar being perceived as cheap. Wow Uber, so you think that many duels might be necessary? I want to prevent any flukes too but I figured the better player is going to show even with a relatively small number of duels. Ok, let's make this a bloodbath! My idea behind doing medium only was to seemingly level the playing field, but I know that I can take heavies as medium or even light, so I guess if people choose to fight heavy, it's their choice. And as far as the weapons go, I guess it's only right to embrace the new weapons and allow them as well. I figured for a first time tournament of this kind I wanted to try to keep it simple, but ultimately it's about what's in the best interest of the community! Alright, I'll make some changes in the rules right now. It should allow for literally everyone to participate if they'd like!

U8er

Np man I'm really happy to see someone taking charge and starting this up.

The mortar is probably going to be the main concern of a lot of people should use you choose to implement the newer weapons into the regulations, I guess a poll could always solve that.

Best out of 50 or first to 30 is quite a lot but I wasn't sure what kind of timetable this event could be eventually based on. If there are just a few players it would be awesome to have longer duels to really see what the players are capable of, while if there is a lot of interest it might be necessary to shorten each game so that advancing to the next round doesn't take forever (taking into account people who tower strafe, hide and regenerate for minutes at a time).

I hear where you're coming from with the idea of keeping this simple and even for everyone, though it's understandable that a lot of people wouldn't join up if their class and weapon preferences weren't taken into account.

If you need any help or possibly more ideas just PM me. :D

n33d 4 w33d

Right on! As far as players trying to tower strafe and hide to regenerate, yeah that's a savvy move if you can pull it off, but in a Coliseum, where do you see any place to hide from your opponent? FMC is inspired by two gladiators fighting to the death in the confines of a coliseum; thus, whatever map(s) that would be chosen for the competition, I think I would have the players fighting in an area of the map with only terrain so it's mostly about sheer combat talent. And depending on the terrain, a player could still seek refuge behind a hill where they would be briefly out of sight

U8er

Right on! As far as players trying to tower strafe and hide to regenerate, yeah that's a savvy move if you can pull it off, but in a Coliseum, where do you see any place to hide from your opponent? FMC is inspired by two gladiators fighting to the death in the confines of a coliseum; thus, whatever map(s) that would be chosen for the competition, I think I would have the combatants fighting in an area of the map with only terrain so it's mostly about sheer talent. And depending on the terrain, a player could still seek refuge behind a hill where they would be briefly out of sight

This a million times. While there is a lot of thoughtful strategy involved when there are towers and walls to weave through it just gets a tad silly sometimes when it's possible to hide for minutes at a time, slowly chipping away at their opponent's health with a few tracers and hand grenades here and there. That's pretty boring for competition imo. If the dueling grounds were just the terrain of say, Stygian, players wouldn't be able to fall back on those tactics and they'd be forced to actually use raw aiming ability and movement capabilities when faced with an opponent directly.