• Ventrilo

Votes: 49 48.5%
  • Mumble

Votes: 16 15.8%
  • Other?

Votes: 2 2.0%

• Total voters

Hawk

We plan to bring back the community voice server. We are currently deciding on which software to use and when to deploy it.
Please don't vote if you haven't at least tried all of the applications, I don't want this to be what's the most common - but what's going to be the best for the community.

Note: This isn't a guarantee of what we'll provide, just to help us figure a few things out.

Choose your favorite, and explain why, community voice server. Please help the community by voting! :)

A2

My choice - Vent.
TS3, is having a lot of problems here and there, both server and client.
I haven't really tried Mumble, so I don't really know.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
Mumble, Quite simply because it is very simple - voice quality is better than vent - TS is having server issues too (And?) Mumble servers costs less

GReaper

Grumpy
Moved from Off Topic to the Legions General Discussion forum.

Please vote on this poll, would be nice to get opinions on what voice software you prefer. Please don't vote if you haven't at least tried all of the applications, I don't want this to be what's the most common - but what's going to be the best for the community.

Note: This isn't a guarantee of what we'll provide, just to help us figure a few things out.

Apcizzle

I do enjoy the ease of Ventrilo compared to Teamspeak. This may be because i'm more familiar with Ventrilo, but i still think it is more user friendly.

IzSid

Honored Hero
My vote maybe Bias'd since I've only really used mumble once, and I'm also not fond with teamspeak. I have to agree with unknown Vent is way easy to use and worked for a while.

Mahidhar

I voted for vent. I used it, when you guys had the previous vent server. I use TS3 now, for my clan, but it's not really that great. As A2 said, it's got a lot of server crashing issues.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
Why does no one understand that voice quality on vent, is just not as good as mumble or team speak!

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
Teamspeak, sucks, period. But mumble is excellent been using it for the past few months and I've been really impressed with it.

Dimitryy

i used all of the 3 programms and so far, i prefer TS3, than Mumble and than Vent.
at the old vent server some people were always sweeping and i couldt understand a word ... that was really annoying (also to many confusing settings :p)

Severance

Private Tester
From an admin perspective. I'd have to go with TS3+ the NPL license allows you up to 10 virtual servers, with total slots of 512, this assuming you're running on your own server. I've had mine loaded up to 200 users, and it's been 100% stable. I think most TS3 servers problems are actually configuration issues on the server side(i've only dealt with my setup on centos5). This combined with the user/client/channel customizations and file transfers makes it quite versatile(especially when considering PUG Admins, testers, etc, etc). It's still not without its bugs. I think users who aren't as savvy, or haven't used voice clients before may find the amount of settings/customization a bit overwhelming.

Mumble is nice, simple, low latency, and decent quality. I haven't had the chance to use it other than as a client(for a few hours), so i don't know the benefits of the administration portion.

Mohawk Voice is another VOIP app with simplicity, quality codec, and low resources in mind. I've only had a few hours as a client on server, so i can't comment much.

Ventrilo is the standard, so there's not much to say, it's what people are familiar with, stable(for the most part). I see issues with ventrilo when running high count of clients. It's quite easy to take down a Vent server and/or make it unusable. Dev has been slow on ventrilo for quite sometime.

All that being said, my vote is for TS3