Dxtory

Arch

Legions Developer
I found out about this piece of software the other day and want to share my findings with the community. Some of you may have already heard of it and know what it is, but for those that don't, it's called Dxtory and it is a video capturing program like Fraps.

Now many of you know that Fraps can cut your fps down pretty dramatically, making it a bit harder to play to your full potential. Dxtory does not. I play with an average of 130 fps and Fraps slaughters my fps, while Dxtory does not. While capturing with Dxtory my fps only dropped to an average of 100-120 fps. A much better outcome than when I try and record with Fraps.

Dxtory also has many other features along with it.
  • Record in your desired resolution.
  • Choose between codecs for the recordings.
  • Sync your fps with that of the recording.
  • Cap your fps.
  • Supports/records many audio inputs (Legions, Teamspeak, etc.).
  • Recognizes the game that you are playing. Allowing you to create a separate setup for each game you play.
  • More...
Now if you prefer Fraps, use Fraps, I'm not going to stop you. But for those that want to record and have a semi-decent computer that cannot run Fraps very well (like me) you might want to try Dxtory. Like Fraps, you do have to "pay for it,"to get all the features.

Here's a pretty good video on it.

Dabbleh

Legions Developer
I always watch in 1080p...

But yeah this sounds great, Fraps has never had any competition so maybe it'll push Fraps and we'll get better software! :D

I

IzRaPiDz

Gunna give this a try, I'm currently using Bandicam, and it's the best recorder I've used so far.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
Will give a try, can get good frames while using fraps, but feels laggy half the time - like its missing a frame or two.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
IIRC FRAPS caps you at 60, or something right around there, even if you change what it's max is.

Yes - but playback on screen feels laggy and can even lead to screen tearing if going through a heavy load (shows on recorded footage as well). Setting up vertical sync on application helps.