Duel Servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calimo

Quick suggestion...
Is there anyway we can get a different map for a server?
For example... Keep one duel server on frost, and have the other be another map.
I enjoy frost... but, personally.. I enjoy a change of scenery every so often...
...Snow gets depressing after too long! I want to duel while frolicking in some flowers!

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
Quick suggestion...
Is there anyway we can get a different map for a server?
For example... Keep one duel server on frost, and have the other be another map.
I enjoy frost... but, personally.. I enjoy a change of scenery every so often...
...Snow gets depressing after too long! I want to duel while frolicking in some flowers!

I'll check tomorrow with GReaps to see if I can switch the map around without mucking anything up, remember though, this is very much a patchwork solution to the dueling issues on the CTF servers and we don't want to devote too much time on improving these hacks. When the actual gametypes come into play they'll definitely be more fully featured.

News poster probably deadguy said:
We kindly ask that if you want to duel - use these servers. Anyone caught dueling on CTF servers may be kicked, banned, or at worst, become Seymour's 'play doll'.

This is a little over the top imo.... I duel to pass the time until a game can start. I will for the most part only start dueling in a real ctf game when someone is trying to tk me. I will gladly be kicked/banned before I get my "I am very sorry please stop killing me I will never try to tk anybody again" or *tking noob rage quit*.

Will you now kick/ban for llama grabs, tking, rabbit, and OSniping? If not... then why not... these things kill a game just as easily if not more and have been a huge complaint for a while now while dueling hasn't been noticably a problem. The only difference between these problems and dueling, is if the people dueling are good enough to make or break a game. Who wouldnt QQ if you see 4 omni (easy example from the past) dueling while your trying to win a game.

I can understand this rule once we can make are own servers. Right now I am not for it.

On a side note; I like the servers, and I am very amazed at how quickly you acted, so for this I say nicly done.

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
This is a little over the top imo.... I duel to pass the time until a game can start. I will for the most part only start dueling in a real ctf game when someone is trying to tk me. I will gladly be kicked/banned before I get my "I am very sorry please stop killing me I will never try to tk anybody again" or *tking noob rage quit*.

Will you now kick/ban for llama grabs, tking, rabbit, and OSniping? If not... then why not... these things kill a game just as easily if not more and have been a huge complaint for a while now while dueling hasn't been noticably a problem. The only difference between these problems and dueling, is if the people dueling are good enough to make or break a game. Who wouldnt QQ if you see 4 omni (easy example from the past) dueling while your trying to win a game.

Perhaps you're not quite understanding what we mean by 'dueling'. There have been players who wanted to practice their dueling skills (one on one), but had nowhere else to go. CTF players would become upset as these players would want to be left alone so they could practice/duel. That's the point of these new servers, to prevent this from happening and giving the players somewhere more private to go to practice/duel.

Team killing has always been a kickable/bannable offense, so expect us to continue doing that. As for llama grabs, rabbiting and o-sniping, those topics have been covered in separate threads and, excluding extreme cases of rabbit griefing, they will remain un-kickable and un-bannable offenses on CTF servers. Also, please note that extremely effective offense is not considered dueling.

As a side note: If players are dueling/practicing on a Duel server and ask you to not interfere, please respect their wishes. This is a very... 'loose' server solution at the moment and works more on an honour system than a server mechanic.

Karnage

Private Tester
If players are dueling/practicing on a Duel server and ask you to not interfere, please respect their wishes. This is a very... 'loose' server solution at the moment and works more on an honour system than a server mechanic.
Not sure what you mean here Seymour but if it is what I think it is then I totally disagree. One can't say to a player who joins a CTF game not to join because the teams are even. If I go into a duel server and there are two people duelling but they want only to duel each other I must just sit there twiddling my thumbs until someone else decides to come along? This is not right IMO. The duel servers are public. Until we get private servers those players who want to duel exclusively will just have to wait, unfortunately.

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
Not sure what you mean here Seymour but if it is what I think it is then I totally disagree. One can't say to a player who joins a CTF game not to join because the teams are even. If I go into a duel server and there are two people duelling but they want only to duel each other I must just sit there twiddling my thumbs until someone else decides to come along? This is not right IMO. The duel servers are public. Until we get private servers those players who want to duel exclusively will just have to wait, unfortunately.

The point of the duel servers are to have these players who wish to one on one duel/practice a place to do it. At this time there are no private servers, this is a temporary solution until a true duel/practice gametype comes along. As for the concern that a player would be 'twiddling their thumb' on the server, they can go to another server to play or see if they can duel one of the players once they're done. It's not a perfect solution by any means, but its the best that can be released until true gametypes/private servers come out.

Also, take note that one of the servers has been changed to Mirage, a larger map. This is to help facilitate players who need/want more distance from other players for uninterrupted duel/practice.

haha, cant see anyone on the SG server going to these at triple the ping somehow, as another poster said it does seem to be getting worse, especially seeing numbers have dropped, its just a kill fest on one side there now most days.... no team work, no honor just who can get the kill, 1 vs 1 is nearly impossible to organise as it just takes one selfish/ignorant tool who wont play this way and thats out the window too (there's more than one by the way)

As Karnage said 'no one plays the game' its been this way since IA days and is why I stopped playing the HK server at all, not sure if its a language barrier or a cultural thing but its definitely a theme that many Asia players in general dont give a *dance* about anything but getting their rockets off.

Karnage

Private Tester
The point of the duel servers are to have these players who wish to one on one duel/practice a place to do it. At this time there are no private servers, this is a temporary solution until a true duel/practice gametype comes along. As for the concern that a player would be 'twiddling their thumb' on the server, they can go to another server to play or see if they can duel one of the players once they're done. It's not a perfect solution by any means, but its the best that can be released until true gametypes/private servers come out.

Also, take note that one of the servers has been changed to Mirage, a larger map. This is to help facilitate players who need/want more distance from other players for uninterrupted duel/practice.
I see. I was confusing what you guys were trying to do with the deathmatch idea. They are duel servers, not deathmatch servers. I understand now.

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
I see. I was confusing what you guys were trying to do with the deathmatch idea. They are duel servers, not deathmatch servers. I understand now.

Ah, it's okay, it's easy to get confused with them, especially with the way they're setup now. In the future we'll bring finalized gametypes that won't be so patchwork. And hopefully we'll finally get a dedicated deathmatch server!

But what about the Asian servers?

Like St3lth said, I don't really see the need for dedicated duel servers since the Asian server has generally low to no population counts.

Are 4 duel servers necessary, because at most I only see 1 being filled up at any given time.

My point of view on this is that normally players who want to duel seek privacy, so they have a couple of options for a server. And, really, let's not give GReaper the idea that it would be okay to take a duel server away from us.

As Karnage said 'no one plays the game' its been this way since IA days and is why I stopped playing the HK server at all, not sure if its a language barrier or a cultural thing but its definitely a theme that many Asia players in general dont give a *dance* about anything but getting their rockets off.

You know, I'm not too sure, it might just be the lower player count causing more DM-style games than CTF games. Hopefully once the private servers are finalized this will revitalize the Asian/Aussie/Other communities.

Status
Not open for further replies.