demonstration of chain overheat and spread: calling all chainwhores

scoot

I think most of us agree that the legions chaingun's spread and overheat make it more balanced than the tribes chaingun, but for some reason tribers dislike the mechanic (/r/tribes links: 1, 2). I'd love to see this mechanic in Midair, but I doubt the dev team would want to implement it if it would alienate tribes players.

I think part of the reason for the hate is that the tribes players who try out legions use the chaingun as they would in tribes, which is obviously not effective. They hold down fire for way too long outside of its effective range, miss every shot, and then complain that rng is bad and legions is bad. Maybe if we put together a video demonstrating why the legions chaingun works so well, we could get tribes players warmed up to the idea. This could include a demonstration of pinpoint chain chasing, effective use of chain in duels, montage of kills from 100-0% without winding down or overheating...

For now, perhaps we can collect some demos of our most impressive chaining, and it can be edited together at some point.

Last edited:

scoot

FANTASTIC IDEA, SCOOT! Want to have a 5 hour long dueling sesh? XD

D: My chain blows when I haven't played in a while, but we can try.

Fire already sorta covered this in his video.

Yeah I guess it would be a more in depth version of that portion of fire's vid. I recall in the few weeks after fire made his video, a ton of tribes players came and played exactly in the way I described above.

Disci

Old man

Those /r/Tribes guys just have no clue what it's. Thing about some spread is to make the weapon not very clever to use in certain situations and force them to use other weapons instead. Couple some spread with inheritance and you can use the weapon very effective in situations where it's very ok to use it like high speed fights such as chasing. For example CG that has spread is pretty useless in mid distance fights and you're better off using disk and grenades, in duels you can use disk and chain effectively. Now when you're chasing and your chain bullets inherits 100% of your momentum it actually "tightens" the spread and makes the weapon more accurate.

Overheating is just one way to decrease the effectiveness of chain in duel situations and force people to use explosives instead, or managing the chain fire so it maintains its effectiveness. It's a logical cure for problems which arise in FPS+Z games when it's about weapon balancing.

T:A automatics, which these guys are praising to work just fine, actually required tons of tweaks, damage fall off and stuff like that to not make them the most used weapons in every god damn situation. In the recent patch they made the bullets disappear after something like 0.8 seconds :D :D :D Don't mind these T:A apes. They are irrelevant to any FPS+Z game. Would like them to stay playing T:A instead and keep their *danced* up and idiotic ideas over there.

Last edited: