Constructive Critisism

Draconator

Hi there folks!
I bet that some of you forgot me and most of the community still dont know me.
For those who don't - I'm Draconator and I used to play Legions back in Instant Action in 2008-2010

For these years I've been away due to finals, a lack of interest and other hobbies but I never forgot Legions and I check whenever I think of it.

I must say that I'm quite happy to see that the devs doing progress in the game but I see a bit of cons too.

First, the weapon skins models. Dudes, what the hell? Your blaster looks like a mutation of ELF gun and plasma rifle from Tribes 2 in a quality of an old Quake game(DIY Blaster - take a leafblower, a lava lamp and and aluminum foil and voila - see the similarity?). I've really liked your concept design on the plasma rifle but this insults legions (even the existing models of RL, GL, CG and SR look better).

Second, the projectiles look like someone was too lazy to give them a normal texture. Skybolt? What the hell is this? A mass driver or a powder gun(It also sounds like a powder "poof")? Grenades? Most likely a glowing radioactive goo.
(btw, you've done awesome work on the plasma projectiles, they look badass)

Last but not least the skin system. You did a great restoration of the core elements of Legions. But a question - where is the skin selection system exactly?

In conclusion - Legions needs better artists and to encourage more people in the community for concept art, sounds, rendering and customization.

[Btw, I dunno where this post belongs too but I think its more like a suggestion thread for better stuff]

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
Hi there folks!
I bet that some of you forgot me and most of the community still dont know me.
For those who don't - I'm Draconator and I used to play Legions back in Instant Action in 2008-2010

Welcome back.

For these years I've been away due to finals, a lack of interest and other hobbies but I never forgot Legions and I check whenever I think of it.

Shame.

I must say that I'm quite happy to see that the devs doing progress in the game but I see a bit of cons too.

Okay...

First, the weapon skins models. Dudes, what the hell? Your blaster looks like a mutation of ELF gun and plasma rifle from Tribes 2 in a quality of an old Quake game(DIY Blaster - take a leafblower, a lava lamp and and aluminum foil and voila - see the similarity?). I've really liked your concept design on the plasma rifle but this insults legions (even the existing models of RL, GL, CG and SR look better).

I must agree on this point about the blaster however, it is not consistent with the design of the original weapons. However, considering it was the first weapon model they made to be added into the game and the current artists are not the people who worked on the original weapons, this is understandable.

Second, the projectiles look like someone was too lazy to give them a normal texture. Skybolt? What the hell is this? A mass driver or a powder gun(It also sounds like a powder "poof")? Grenades? Most likely a glowing radioactive goo.
(btw, you've done awesome work on the plasma projectiles, they look badass)

Essentially, A fast-firing projectile weapon. Does less damage than rocket (for comparison). Does no splash damage and travels faster than rocket. Is an alternative to chain, adds more diversity to the game. Grenades add more depth and allow combo boosting, but they are also getting changed for the upcoming 1.40 patch.

Last but not least the skin system. You did a great restoration of the core elements of Legions. But a question - where is the skin selection system exactly?

There have been plans to do this for awhile and it will eventually be done by someone, although maybe not for 1.40 patch (Interface has been designed and put into private test, but not coded.

In conclusion - Legions needs better artists and to encourage more people in the community for concept art, sounds, rendering and customization.

Harsh dude... These developers (artists) have given up their free time for 2 years to work on this game that we can play for free. Be more respective of the people that allowed you to play this game again. As for the community helping help, this game has little left in terms of active players/people. Sad, but true.

[Btw, I dunno where this post belongs too but I think its more like a suggestion thread for better stuff]

At least you managed to find the right sub-forum, there's hope for you yet.

Triad

Legions Developer
Every developer has put in a depressing amount of time into this game, including myself when I was developing. The amount of work required is ridiculous, and every developer is either going to school, working, or doing both. To make a good game, especially a fast paced FPS such as Legions, you need to know the game engine well, and be fluent in it, but nobody on the team can do much without Torque exploding.

There are maybe two or three artists who can work on the game sometimes, and programmers come in and out. To sum things up, everyone has pretty much accepted we aren't looking for new players, at least not in this version. There are no good tutorials for the game, and everyone is either pro or close to it so any new player would be crushed and never given a chance to get better unless they were motivated enough to join Teamspeak and get help.

Asking for more features and changes is the last thing you should do right now in my opinion. Just be glad the game is still available, and that there are some new features coming out.

Jordahan

World Leader of The 21st Century
The completely volunteer artists that we do have do an amazing job. If you think you can do better or know someone who can, I thoroughly encourage you to show us you can or send them my way. I highly recommend you take a look at the blog and check out the video that shows off StealthRG's awesome new map. The dev team, like Triad said, puts in a ton of time while trying to juggle school and/or work. We are working to get 1.40 out so that Legions can be (most likely) as close to done as it ever will be. This new patch has much more depth than what is currently in the game. Legions in it's current state exists for the people who play it regularly. I appreciate your feedback regarding the game but the community is more than welcome to come up with new concepts, sounds (I really don't get what you mean by this) and as much other stuff as they want. It can all be implemented on your own user hosted server, shared on the forums for all to see, and if it fits the pace of the game, maybe even added to the upcoming build. You can customize and change near everything for your own server as it currently stands, nothing is stopping you from doing so. Please forgive me if this seems rude but I am just laying it out there for you. I know that you haven't played in a long time and we're glad to have you back, hopefully you stick around.

Draconator

I wanted to volunteer too(a long time ago, and I sent message for BugsPray) but Bugs have asked me for portfolio. Does it have to be like... made in photoshop with writing pad or it can be also paper and pencil?
And when I talked about sounds I meant SFX. The Skybolt sound like throwing shooting wooden projectiles rather than a mass driver as was implied.
And no Jordy, it doesn't seems rude for me. I think that my attitude in the post seems pretty... rough.

Karnage

Private Tester
Dude, just think about the context. This is a completely community driven project. I have no doubt that the 'artists', should they have access to the tools, the engines and the time, could do much more impressive stuff but this is Legions on this engine and they are doing what they can in their spare time. I kick ass with a paper and pencil but I can't even begin to do what these guys do on a computer, so really your post is not only not constructive if you don't know how to do this kind of art, but unjustifiably condescending. I suspect it was more a sort of spontaneous eruption. Not going to go too deeply into the analogies.

Armageddon

Teapot
I wanted to volunteer too(a long time ago, and I sent message for BugsPray) but Bugs have asked me for portfolio. Does it have to be like... made in photoshop with writing pad or it can be also paper and pencil?
And when I talked about sounds I meant SFX. The Skybolt sound like throwing shooting wooden projectiles rather than a mass driver as was implied.
And no Jordy, it doesn't seems rude for me. I think that my attitude in the post seems pretty... rough.

A portfolio for working on legions would need to include a body of work that showcased your ability and knowledge in either coding/art/sound etc for most of this you'd need a digital form, things like concept art etc could be hand drawn then photocopied.

The sound FX in legions aren't perfect but the beauty of it is that you can change any sound to whatever you like.

And you did sound pretty rude and slightly pushy.

RockeyRex

Legions Developer
Portfolio? Take a look at the modifications seciton. The place is filled with the stuff that would qualify for the job. (And I suppose most people got picked up from that forum)

You create "demo" content. Make a neat base asset. Create a new UI layout. Script a contruction mod. Whatever you think you can do.