'Comp' maps for PUGs.

Fixious

Test Lead
Is this something people would be interested in? Essentially a new group of maps that wouldn't be added to the public map rotation, but could be selected from the map list for PUGs.

Like it or not, Frostbyte is a broken map and promotes absolutely horrendous gameplay, specifically the back routes. I should know, I abuse the piss out of them whenever I can. And so are others. Problem is, whenever the topic of changing Frostbyte is brought up people immediately shoot you down and treat the map like the second coming of Christ. Yes, it's a fun map and one of funnest to play, but that doesn't change the fact that one side is broken beyond belief.

When picking a map during PUGs, captains shouldn't have to ask "what's the good side, again?". Comp versions would be one side mirrored, meaning there would be no better side. This can be accomplished by mirroring the heightmap; sadly some detail is lost in the process meaning hills won't be 100% the same as they are now. It also means 'someone' would have to retexture the map. But hey, since the only *dancing* map we play is Frostbyte it shouldn't be much of a task.

k e v i n

Private Tester
I kind of like the idea of a mirrored map, this way both sides are the same, so choosing a side wouldn't matter. The better team will win without the other team complaining about the map and how their side sucked.

Fixious

Test Lead
After going back and messing with heightmaps, this sadly won't be possible. Too many changes occur when trying to mirror the map to make this worth while.

Oh well. I'll ask over at GG.com, but I'm not expecting much.

Fixious

Test Lead
A decent chunk of people enjoy Whiteout, which is essentially mirrored. Plus, there were a slew of Tribes maps that were mirrored and balanced for comp play. But as I said this isn't looking likely, sadly.

Defender

A decent chunk of people enjoy Whiteout, which is essentially mirrored. Plus, there were a slew of Tribes maps that were mirrored and balanced for comp play. But as I said this isn't looking likely, sadly.
The terrain mirror option is missing in Legions...
But there is a way around this if you want to fire up tribes2, edit your new mirrored terrain in tribes2, then place the new terrain file in legions, re-texture, and finish it for final use...

Fixious

Test Lead
I tried simply placing a .ter from legions into one of the Tribes 2 .mis file, but unfortunately it loads a flat map. What needs to be done to get a Legions .ter into T2?

Jordahan

World Leader of The 21st Century
I managed to mirror Frostbyte somewhat well a while back, but the .mis file broke. I'll see if I can dig it up and get it working again.

Also, I am totally for the idea of mirrored awesome maps.

let's try to get more people playing pugs rather than wasting so much time on making new maps to play

just play more maps or ban frostbyte from being played so much

Fixious

Test Lead
Yeah that's not gonna happen. It's been suggested time and time again to try more maps in pugs, but people just pick Frostbyte, even back to back. Another idea to encourage more maps is the option to lower the flag cap requirements or playtime. Blade Run is obviously too big for our normal 7's and even 8's probably. But if we were able to alter either the playtime to 15 minutes or lower the score to 5 instead of 10, it'd make it go by faster at least. I know admin.cs has a function called serverCmdAdminSetTimelimit, but it's commented out because it needs work apparently.

This way maps aren't changed, so any possible newcomers wouldn't be confused or thrown-off if they're used to the public versions.

Application-1

test bester
5 cap limit on a blade run pug might actually work really well. That map is not fun normaly because I never feel pressure. In a PuG with a 5 cap and 15 minute limit I can see that change. But I believe that the biggest problem with that map is that people don't realise that it is all about capping, chasing and timing.

I kinda wanna put out my opinion about a map like blade run for some reason so here I go.

Having stay D on that map while you don't have the enemies flag is just boring as *dance*(and useless). It is all about the capping, almost everyone should be moving. Let us say a 8v8 blade run happens then the positions imo should look like this:
4 cappers. All 4 of them need to be really skilled and move as a unit because you should hit that flag stand really close to eachother.
1 LO. That 1 guy needs to be there and land a few rockets perhaps.
2 chasers. Because the enemy capper should have a higher speed then what a chaser can accomplish from a launch pad+nade combo. So they both need to cut the capper off wich gives a small gap to actually take the capper down.
1 HoF. I guess you just need that 1 guy at home even when you don't have their flag and them yours, chaingrabs yo.

3 cappers and 2 LO (3 cappers - 1 LO - 1 LD?) is probably better but puts more pressure on the cappers. Also you have 2 people sitting doing nothing untill the time is right.
I can also see no HoF work but then you put all yo money on being able to chase the capper down. HoF is just a safe bet.

And in the end that map is just all about timing. Having 1 guy not communicating in your team can already screw it up for the whole team imo. Cappers need constant info from eachother. Chasers need to call out cappers for HoF. Sound is OP on that map btw because you make so much noise a headphone HoF can just hear you coming from a direction. LO is the one that gives info about what happens in the enemy base and passes it through to the cappers.

That is basicly my dream of what Blade Run should be. The most tryhard map legions has to offer and the most difficult. But *dance* could it be fun with a whole team communicating and getting dem caps in.

Still 10 cap limit on that map is high even if this all were to happen.

loc

#1 Private Tester
Back in the day Void and OwA made it a point to play on BR quite often during scrims. The size of the map really made it interesting with using different strategies and made you really pay attention to what the other team was doing at all times even more so than normal.
We had quite a few really good games playing there,I don't remember ever wishing it was a shorter time or a lower cap,again something to remember is that with the size of the map the smallest mistakes are amplified two and three fold compared to smaller maps and the scoreboard can get ringing pretty quickly.
Also there were no fancy launch pads and high tech cores back then either. Damn kids are spoiled these days.

Last edited: