Clans

57thGWguy

You guys all have very good points about sizes of clans and limitations but something you might be overlooking is how easily one gets into a clan. I'm not sure how it is with other clans but you make it sound like just about anyone can join any team on a whim. In the 57th you don't just get in right when you ask, there is a long process of sponsorship and getting to know the people in the clan. I know from some other older clans people liked to accept members into their clan based on skill (which I don't agree with, but people do it). This kind of filter already thins the number of people getting into one clan so, a limit on the number of people might not be necessary. Also, a clan should be a group of friends wanting to have fun and game together, and putting a limit on friends doesn't sound like a good idea to me. That is, hypothetically, if a clan system is implemented.

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
Fair enough. However, we are taking into account the creation of newer clans and the assumption that leaders may want members badly enough that anybody would be allowed to join.

... but something you might be overlooking is how easily one gets into a clan. I'm not sure how it is with other clans but you make it sound like just about anyone can join any team on a whim....
Show me where. I don't think I said that anywhere. If I might have unintentionally implied it, then I apologise. On another note, I still remember getting invited to several different clans (including 57th and the asian/australian division of Via Victus, without any
long process of sponsorship and getting to know the people in the clan.

Personally, when I'm recruiting people for whatever clan I'm in, I look for people who would get on well with everyone currently in the clan, and either already have the skill to equal most of our members, or have the potential to easily reach and possibly go above and beyond our skill level with a little help. If a player can't play the game well, and won't try to get better, there's no point having them there for competition. If they're likeable, that means they're nice to have around, but they still can't play.

My reasoning on a limit would be to prevent there from being 2 enormous clans with everyone in one side or the other (or failing in a 2 person clan).

A final point is, just because you're in different clans, doesn't mean you can't still be friends.

57thGWguy

Show me where. I don't think I said that anywhere. If I might have unintentionally implied it, then I apologise. On another note, I still remember getting invited to several different clans (including 57th and the asian/australian division of Via Victus, without any...
Sorry, I should have been more clear. I didn't mean that you personally said that, just that it was the way your conversation made me feel. All I meant was that sometimes it might take time and commitment to get into a clan that maybe someone doesn't qualify or want to do it. Like I said, I'm not entirely sure how it works with other clans but in 57th, you definitely will need to spend a lot of time and commitment to get in as there is indeed a sponsorship program.
I understand where you're coming from, I just don't think there is a need for a limit if a clan system is added. And I agree, just because you are in different clans doesn't make a difference whether you are friends, but that's why there shouldn't be a limit. There should always be room for people to join you and for your clan to grow.

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
I can go either way on the limit debate. It is good for clans to be able to expand beyond a certain point, but also, with new clans comes greater competition and variety, and one way to get people to join up with the new clans is if they can't get into the clans with the greater reputation, like 57th. the more reputable clans, though, have a more rigorous entry process, so whether that balances out the member limit will have to be seen.

57thKB24

A player should only have one clan and if ever that player will decide to leave his previous clan, he/she should inform them. For us, it takes time to really get the full membership of 57th for the fact that we have ranks that is present.

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
Did you read the entire conversation? We've already been over the multiple clan dealio. Anyways, if clans become supported through Overdrive more officially than on IA, if somebody leaves a clan, then the tag would be removed. I would agree that it would be courteous to let the clan one is leaving that the person is leaving, and hopefully provide a reason as to why he/she is leaving. I guess your writing is a little disjointed. I can get the jist of what you're saying and yes, having a long line of hard work and commitment does make somebody less likely to leave a clan, but most clans have ranks, its the achievements of the players that get them those ranks, coming from the long line of hard work and commitment. An amount of this is a little off topic, and the rest is stuff that has been touched upon and resolved.

A player should only have one clan and if ever that player will decide to leave his previous clan, he/she should inform them. For us, it takes time to really get the full membership of 57th for the fact that we have ranks that is present.
what we're talking about KB24 when we mention a limit, is not the max number of clans a single person can join, but the max number of members any clan can have.
Having said limit will prevent all clans dissolving in to 2 super clans, who constantly war each other, and no one else.
However, said limit would also be annoying because it would make it harder for friends etc to get into the same clan.

...I'm not entirely sure how it works with other clans but in 57th...
Perhaps the measures have changed since when I got the invite for 57th or it could have been because I was being invited to help enlarge a brand new division, because there wasn't a long process in store for me if I'd accepted. As it was, at that time I was working on my own clan anyway, so I politely declined.

Anyway, that's neither here nor there, as it would be up to each clan to determine it's recruitment structure.

57thKB24

First of all sorry for not reading the entire conversation. Well, with that being said it is hard to put limitation to clans who are already established because some clans just jumps into other games. You could probably apply that to new clans but isn't that unfair to them?

What I'd be interested in is a developers view on it.

It's not going to be something that'll come out any time soon, but I'd be curious for the words of a much more experienced person, as to what works and what doesn't.