changing the skies

Fissurez

Puzzlemaster
how would i change the skies? i want to give everything the sky from frostbyte but it looks like the skies in each map are different names and formats,
with different amounts of files, and core even has terrain in the sky images.

please help?

PureWhoopAss

Legions Developer
I thought about making a tutorial, but I need few more folks wanting to learn in order to write it... I haven't seen anyone use my tricks and tips yet.

Fissurez

Puzzlemaster
.... but do i need to get the files from frostbyte, rename them and convert them into the right files, deleting all other files in the other sky folders?

PureWhoopAss

Legions Developer
umm confusing me, you only need to have is photoshop and dds and jng plugin to open the files.. the files autmatically convert thanks to the plugins.

Fissurez

Puzzlemaster
umm confusing me, you only need to have is photoshop and dds and jng plugin to open the files.. the files autmatically convert thanks to the plugins.

im saying that it confuses me that there are different amounts of files for each "sky folder", and why did they decide to use different file formats in different maps?

PureWhoopAss

Legions Developer
the different formats behave differently from what I have experiened... .png has opacity settings so you could make the clouds transparent. .jng has lighting settings that make the sky vibrant and glow. .jpg is ordinary image with nothing applied.

and to answer your question about the numbers? Theres 6 sides to a square but the bottom of the square isn't viewable unless you have a portion of the map missing. So there willl be 5 panels in which you need to skin. left, right, front, back, and top.... thats why they call it a sky box.

Fissurez

Puzzlemaster
would the other files in the skybox be particles for ash/snow then?

oh, and i gave up and used your lovely skies instead :)

(good job on the rockets + explosions as well)