Best place to host EU server?

Jello

Contributor
Ive gone through a couple threads here and there and some people are saying that the best place to host would be Germany...or HK...I might get 2 VPS and remote desktop host or I might hand it over to another player..who's trustworthy and know what they're doing....I need to know where you Euro players prefer your server and dont tell me where you live cuz Im just gonna ignore that comment..

Last edited:

Dabbleh

Legions Developer
Windows is not the optimal operating system for servers, I would discourage you from using it.

stefygraff

Private Tester
2045px-EU-Romania.svg.png

here please :D

Xzanth

Legions Developer
2045px-EU-Romania.svg.png

here please :D
[...] and dont tell me where you live cuz Im just gonna ignore that comment..
The official EU servers have changed places so many times I have lost count but seem to be doing ok at their current position in Germany.
The two options are either to host in a more western location e.g. NL or UK which is around where most of the players are and so gives very good ping to them at the expense of the players in eastern Europe and Scandinavia who can have connection problems / high ping or to host in a central location such as Germany which doesn't give anyone really great ping (apart from Germans) but no-one really gets bad ping.

Defender

For windows VPS, I prefer windows server 2003 R2, it uses the lowest resources, only requires 512 mb ram, I have no errors with my legions server, like I did with with the newer versions of windows server. Speaking from my experience, Linux is harder to setup, windows makes things much easier.
The remote desktop, is ready to go if you get your VPS server at nfoservers.com
Linux is half the price at 9.99 per month, so that's a consideration, too think about...
My windows server runs great, I have no lag, can't complain, and its compatible with running a tribes2, server, Linux, not...
I read that for most games, there's no real performance difference between the two operating systems.

Jello

Contributor
Seeing as I have a ton of things to pay in the up coming 2 moths the server will stay down until further notice, Logical Zone,Europe 1(apparently located in France), and North Carolina will be down, I'll let you guys know when they'll be back up, as of right now I have too many things/bills to pay off and those 3 servers are not making it any easier for me to keep track of them :/...sorry guys.

sorry kro :p you and your 20 ping..

Last edited:

Defender

If you or anyone ever has a Linux or Windows server, with nfoservers.com
They have a great donation system for game servers, all donations can only go to pay for the server...
Unfortunately, no one here ever wants to donate.
I miss the good old days back in tribes2, when people would donate...

Jello

Contributor
If you or anyone ever has a Linux or Windows server, with nfoservers.com
They have a great donation system for game servers, all donations can only go to pay for the server...
Unfortunately, no one here ever wants to donate.
I miss the good old days back in tribes2, when people would donate...

Nah I dont need any donations, although that would help out a lot but I have the money to pay for it...getting donations is a little too much to ask in my case..

Defender

Nah I dont need any donations, although that would help out a lot but I have the money to pay for it...getting donations is a little too much to ask in my case..
You stated you will shut them down, because have a ton of things to pay in the up coming 2 months, so donations would help right?
This games community palls in comparison, to most games, notably tribes1, 2.
Guys complain about slow servers, but are unwilling to support your maps or server, the heck with them..

Last edited:

Jello

Contributor
You stated you will shut them down, because have a ton of things to pay in the up coming 2 months, so donations would help right? Guys complain about slow servers, but are unwilling to support your maps or server, the heck with them.

Yes, but I have the money to pay them, and when they come back up only 2 will be up, Logical Zone and Europe 1. So until maybe around the end of June beginning of July, I'll put them up again

Last edited: