Bases for Capture

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
Several threads now have brought up the ideas of bases, be they the sniper towers or larger affairs on epic-scale maps to be coming in the future (should the developers and community feel it as a good idea.) Anyways, I can see there being advantages for these bases in CTF, since capturing them can possibly provide more resources of some sort (yet to be determined) and secondary spawn points for the offensive teams. More strategy would be necessary to win a game, which has been decided upon by the majority to be a good thing. Anyways, I'll start off with my thoughts on how this system would work out.
There would be several of these bases, not just one per map that would have this option.
The bases would be captured initially by one team occupying the base with no enemies in the physical base.
In order for enemies to capture the base, something in the base (a generator of sorts) would need to first be destroyed, then the current occupants would be expunged from the premises with boomcakes and bullets. Then the new team has to occupy the base with none of their enemies coming into the base.
If, during the capture of a neutral base (ie: the base "generator" has been destroyed and the team is occupying the base for the amount of time to turn the base to its side) and an enemy enters, the progress is paused until such a time as only one team is in the base.
instead of just clicking or waiting five seconds to respawn, you get a choice of which base to spawn at. Defense would probably just pick the home base, but chasers could commit suicide, and spawn at a different base to attempt to head off the carrier. Offense would also be able to stage their assault from a shorter distance.
Flag capping would only be able to happen at the Home Base where the team's flag is, not at a secondary base.
No teleporters between the bases.
The generator doesn't have to power anything, it is just how a team keeps their hold on that base for spawning purposes. If something like tethers (sorry, I'm obsessed with those, I think they're a great idea) gets implemented and they are available at the secondary bases, then they would become available to a team once the base has completely come under their control, and become inoperable once the generator is completely destroyed.
That's all I have for secondary bases. Any other thoughts out there for this stuff would be incredibly welcome on this forum. Again, this has been discussed in lesser detail in other threads, so I wanted to create one thread where everybody could discuss this in greater detail without other topics coming up that are also relevant to those particular threads. Anyways, have at it!

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
In a lot of ways, this reminds me of Conquest from Battlefront II. Perhaps have a sort of "reinforcement count" like what they did. Its basically a number of deaths before your team runs out (and thus lose). You can reduce that count by kills, but also by having a majority of the bases. The greater the majority, the greater the rate of decrease.

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
Well, if for Epic Strategy TDM games, this could increase how many kills the enemy team has to get in order to win.

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
I think a C&H (capture and hold) Base type of gameplay would be cool. Also, this is very similar to what I experienced in Global Agenda (and had a lot of fun playing). This probably won't be the most original of ideas, and likely has been detailed before. But give Seymour a break!

Anyhow, here's one way Seymour would like to see this type of 'capturable base' gametype implemented:

There's two teams; To make it simple, we'll name them Red vs Blue.

Both have a heavily fortified base that has turrets, shielded areas, etc. These base assets can be destroyed, and the shielded areas can have their generators destroyed (housed in a separate location) to make it easier for the opposing team to access more vulnerable areas of the base.

In between these bases are smaller, capturable bases which house ammo stations, turrets, respawn points, etc. To capture one of these bases, you would need to stand near a capture point for a short amount of time without receiving damage. After capturing the base; the turrets can be used to attack the opposing team's players (or used against the turrets of the opposing team).

To win a match, the team must capture the other teams fortified base. Capturing the midpoint bases makes this task easier, as the players can then use this as their attack point and use the base's turrets to cause heavy damage to the opposing team's structures. To capture the opposing base, it's similar to capturing the midpoint base, however you need to stay within the capture point for a longer amount of time. This capture point acts differently from the midpoint base in that you can receive damage and not lose the 'capturing' status, but you need to be on the ground. Some sort of status bar would pop up showing the remaining type, and if the capturing player is killed or steps off the objective, this 'capturing' bar slowly reverts back to zero ('zero' being the full amount of time it takes to capture the base).

*Assume that there is a system in place to repair these structures.

Flow of the match:
Players would ski out, some might try to do a sneak attack on the enemies main base (likely unsuccessful due to the fortified base's defenses), but the majority would likely fight for the capturable base.

The battle swings back and forth, the midpoint base being captured and recaptured many times, and both bases begin to suffer heavy damage. Finally, Red is able to launch an offensive that allows them to capture Blue's fortified base. Match over.

Endgame Shenanigans:
One nice idea that I like is that after a main fortified base is captured, the lights dim, signalling that all power to the base is lost. Any surviving turrets will power down, and shields would deactivate. The match is over, but this phase would last for about 10-20 seconds, allowing the winning team to easily destroy the losing teams assets, duel with the enemy team, and perform celebratory dance.

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
Sounds good, but can't someone just pop you off the ground with a rocket and cancel the cap sequence?

Exactly! Teamwork would play an important part in capturing a base. I imagine Sent's would be primarily used for capturing bases, while the other armours would be used as support in/around the base.

Fissurez

Puzzlemaster
sounds amazing! but maybe having more than one smaller base rather than one large midpoint one.

this looks like it could fit quite well will most legions maps if you imagine the smaller sniper towers as the small bases.

mirage (the sand level with the hill in the middle) could even benefit from the large platforms next to each base and use the hill in the middle as a larger midpoint base (but there might have to be a few more entrances to it other than the top and going through the bottom)

Ah... interesting. This reminds me of Battlefield: Bad Company 2 when you are playing the game type called "rush" and you have to destory the current bases before you proceed to others. This would make the round last longer, but the maps have to be "epicly-scaled" like you say. One team could be defending while the other attacking. When the round is over(the defensive bases get destoryed) the teams switch. The only way the defensive team can win is if they eliminate a total of a number of players (lets say 60). So the defensive team will have to take out 60 of its attackers before the attackers take our their bases.

I dunno, only an idea that I wanted to share! :)

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
Cool idea, it would be something like Attack and defend in TF2 or assault in unreal tournament but with different objectives then? I'm pretty sure that's what you're talking about. If you don't know what I'm talking about, I tried, but yes, there could be a game mode like that in legions on a large map.

Fixious

Test Lead
It sounds somewhat similar to Day of Defeat, actually. To those not familiar with DoD:

There are two teams: Allies vs. Axis. Each start out with two flags already captured; the first one closest to their spawn point, and their second not too far away. There are 5 flags altogether on the map. There's one neutral flag at the middle, which requires two team-mates to capture. All other flags(the enemies second and first) can be captured by one person. A team wins once they capture all flags on said map.

A few IA/LO members play this game actually, and I'd highly recommend checking it out. With the holidays coming up I'm expecting it to be on sale on Steam.

Yeah, it would work out. Legions should definitely have some of these skirmish games rather than just killing, or a regular CTF match. Hope they make things more interesting :)

Unknown

Private Tester
Endgame Shenanigans:
One nice idea that I like is that after a main fortified base is captured, the lights dim, signalling that all power to the base is lost. Any surviving turrets will power down, and shields would deactivate. The match is over, but this phase would last for about 10-20 seconds, allowing the winning team to easily destroy the losing teams assets, duel with the enemy team, and perform celebratory dance.

Capture and Hold sounds like it could be a lot of fun! Although I think the base of whatever team that wins deserves some cool flashing lights and maybe fireworks.