Auto-charge option for LR

What method are you more comfortable sniping with?

• Total voters

Jaymyster

Now anyone who's using the current LR knows that if they're trying to snipe effectively on defense, that they pretty much have to keep the thing charged the entire time in the first place anyway. I'm sure many players that still prefer the point-to-click way of shooting, would much rather deal with their laser beam being visible at all times than having to deal with the awkward placement of fingers when moving with the laser held down.

So yes, the charge time would still stay (so there's not as much of a quick-draw ability in duels still), but now, players who are (and always will be) much more comfortable with clicking to shoot are no longer restricted in their sniping ability. And once more, I see this suggestion to be added as an option so if certain players prefer to manually charge to remain unseen, they may.

Voltage

Puzzlemaster
One other way that it could work: The player holds down left click in order to charge, the LR charges up to it's full beam. After it's fully charged the player can remove their finger from the mouse, move around and do whatever. With the LR charged up, the player can then left click to fire. Essentially like a handgun, load it up and fire when you want to.

57thRomance

One other way that it could work: The player holds down left click in order to charge, the LR charges up to it's full beam. After it's fully charged the player can remove their finger from the mouse, move around and do whatever. With the LR charged up, the player can then left click to fire. Essentially like a handgun, load it up and fire when you want to.
Like Samus's charge beam in the Super Smash Bros series? I like that idea; we would just have to visually get rid of the initial laser beam that shows up on the player's screen because flying around with that will look really awkward.

Ucantry2run

Private Tester
I find that my index finger gets extremely tired after just one game of pubbing. This would be very useful. The problem isn't what you are able to do after you've charged the shot but what you do while you're still holding the mouse key. You're forced to react, move, switch weapons, and aim while you're charging the beam. Doing that for a good 20~ minutes is a big strain.

Jaymyster

Volt, your idea is a great consideration as well because it still accomplishes the same motive. The idea is to not restrict players to a way of shooting they will never be fully comfortable with (release), while still satisfying the charge time required. I would greatly appreciate some affirmative feedback from devs on the potential implementation of this.

Choices... it's the die that casts ideas into perfection. Once again, Jay has relevant input, direct & to the point. Seems as if Voltage is on to something as well. Between all of the opinions (both positive & negative), and all of the well thought out suggestions/solutions to this ongoing problem, it seems that this issue, (with respect), should have been handled by now. Not having surfed the forums for about a month now, I was surprised to see this issue still on the table. If the input of the community isn't a determining factor for change, then by all means, let us know or least clarify whether or not a change will be made. I believe one of the first posts in response to all the "whining" about this matter stated that about another week of feedback was needed to see if a change to the LR was justified. I'm not sure of the exact date of that post, but at least a month has passed. I'd be happy to pick up the latest issue of "Programming for Dummies" if it would help out at all. Just let me know, I've been wanting to learn how to write code anyway.

Kryst

Private Tester
The mechanics of the laser rifle is working as intended. The charge up ability as well as the release shot is both to prevent the sniper rifle from being abused, but also to incorporate a more intricate learning curve to use effectively.

I would recommend to quit trying to use it to duel your opponents. It has many great uses, one of which is chasing, and is incredibly effective. While I personally try to practice using it effectively in CQC, it is very difficult. Sometimes I come out on top, sometimes I don't. The way its suppose to be I imagine.

Its one of the most difficult weapons to use now, and for good reason. It's going to take some time to adjust. Just like I've told many others, people who are working with it now, are going to become incredibly good at what it can be used for in the near future. It's going to take time and dedication, its not just another "sniper" that you can kill anything with; like in every other game.

It's hope it stays like it is, I would again recommend being one of those few people who are dedicating time to learn how to use it efficiently, and not keep making a big deal about it.

Jaymyster

The mechanics of the laser rifle is working as intended. The charge up ability as well as the release shot is both to prevent the sniper rifle from being abused, but also to incorporate a more intricate learning curve to use effectively.

I would recommend to quit trying to use it to duel your opponents. It has many great uses, one of which is chasing, and is incredibly effective. While I personally try to practice using it effectively in CQC, it is very difficult. Sometimes I come out on top, sometimes I don't. The way its suppose to be I imagine.

Its one of the most difficult weapons to use now, and for good reason. It's going to take some time to adjust. Just like I've told many others, people who are working with it now, are going to become incredibly good at what it can be used for in the near future. It's going to take time and dedication, its not just another "sniper" that you can kill anything with; like in every other game.

It's hope it stays like it is, I would again recommend being one of those few people who are dedicating time to learn how to use it efficiently, and not keep making a big deal about it.

I personally have seen the argument of 'getting used to it' (pertaining to the current LR) to be reaching a withering state as of late. As a player that has dedicated (I would say) far more time to the LR than the vast majority of others, I've inevitably come to the conclusion that my aim isn't to blame for the majority of my recent missed shots; but rather the method of fire is. Time and time again, I am missing the simplest of shots due to the uneasiness my mind has with quick-twitching my cross-hair to my target and releasing the laser in time (not to mention accidental mouse-scrolls that often change your weapon mid-charge, especially if you're being attacked). And for a weapon that is strongly dependent on a very steady hand (especially at long distances), it can't be ignored that the pressure applied on the left click while aiming is likely to hinder certain players from making shots they would normally be able to had they been given the freedom of being to able to click.

To say the release-to-shoot method is a necessary balance for sniper to be harder, is to be biased and inconsiderate to those who know they will forever preform better with clicking to shoot (regardless of time invested in the weapon). Personally, if something irrelevant to my skill is getting in the way of me being able to aim and kill as effectively as I know I'm able to, I can't help but feel as though the game is trying hard to say "we don't like your kind here". The charge time would still be required and there will still be the visible laser pointer, so I don't see a reason why there shouldn't be an evening-out of playing field for other players of the community.

Fixious

Test Lead
Well, as someone who doesn't snipe this seems like a decent idea. The charge is there, the beam is there. The only thing worth talking about is if the hold2charge aspect is a vital part in balancing the new sniper. In either case I don't see it being optional, but rather implemented for everyone. Creating a different sniping method would be extra work for the already-busy devs.

(not to mention accidental mouse-scrolls that often change your weapon mid-charge, especially if you're being attacked)

I wonder if a script could be made for this. If RMB is held -> disable scroll or something. Then again, the only way to cancel a charge is to switch weapons currently.

Ucantry2run

Private Tester
I agree that the nerfs are there (aka both the charge time and having to hold down the beam). But honestly I don't believe that your abilities should be hindered by anything but ingame mechanics. As the game goes on, it becomes harder and harder to hit a shot simply because my hand slowly begins to become strained due to the constant having to hold down the mouse button (in combination with the chaos that goes on while I'm playing). I agree with Jay's point that this should never happen. A game is a game, after all. It's not supposed to be a strenuous sport. I would advocate for a simple auto charge feature because of this fact.

57thEnryu

As the game goes on, it becomes harder and harder to hit a shot simply because my hand slowly begins to become strained due to the constant having to hold down the mouse button (in combination with the chaos that goes on while I'm playing).
was this not the problem being referred to? I really only get this on my left hand, which is movement, after having played for like all day.

Jaymyster

Okay, it's been a week and there hasn't been any clear opposition to this idea after Fixi's acknowledgement. So can we get a clear answer from pops as to whether this is going to be implemented and when so we can lock this?

Poponfu

Lead Developer
I'll see if I can have someone look into it. Its something that can be done client side. So regardless of what is intended we might as well before people get a unfair advantage. It needs to be an optional thing though. The difficulty of shooting like this was intended finger rickets or not but I can see someone is going to script around it so I guess you will see the option down the line.

Xtreme

shaska's bff
Why is sniper still such big issue? I think maybe you are overlooking the fact that sniper still does its job quite well. What is this job? You said it yourself: defense ie. dmging enemy offence (LO, incoming & outgoing cappers). Outside of this scenario, it does not matter how sniper has changed since by nature this kind of weapons should not be very effective for other things. If it was effective for anything and everything until now I hope you realize this is wrong. Correspondingly, if limiting this kind of effectiveness means changing to 'release-to-shoot' mechanism, so be it.

If you think that you have spent 1 month playing with this new sniper compared to 2 years of the old one, your complaints are quite empty. Besides this, if after such long time you are still thinking how changes in weapons will affect your ability to get top scores, you have not learned anything about legions (or tribes for that matter).

I am surprised that sniper is the only thing you bother to post and make polls for when there are so many other things wrong in this game. For example I cannot understand why the people who are still playing regularly have absolutely no problem with game design and physics. This ranges from obvious problems with things like scales (objects & map vs player size) and skiing (accel & decell from 0-200 in under 2 secs), and goes until issues which most ppl here would never even suspect like dueling, strafing, boosts, downjet +++ I mean how could there be anything wrong with downjet?!?! After all it's one of few things unique to this game so I guess it must be perfect already...

Really if you are going to care, at least care about the right things.

Jaymyster

Why is sniper still such big issue? I think maybe you are overlooking the fact that sniper still does its job quite well.
You didn't back this up at all, you just said it and asked this question after vvv
What is this job? You said it yourself: defense ie. dmging enemy offence (LO, incoming & outgoing cappers).
I never said that's it's job, but rather a common scenario when using it. And if you think it does it's job on defense, maybe I should say something I've said many times before. There are existing backroutes that currently give little to no opportunity for the LR to hit the capper. Sure you can hold down the charge before a capper comes in, but that get's much more difficult to do when dealing with LO (they see your laser now), which is another reason why I proposed this idea.
Outside of this scenario, it does not matter how sniper has changed since by nature this kind of weapons should not be very effective for other things. If it was effective for anything and everything until now I hope you realize this is wrong. Correspondingly, if limiting this kind of effectiveness means changing to 'release-to-shoot' mechanism, so be it.
Biased perspective that ignores positions like mid-field. And I would say the release to shoot method may limit the player's potential (the case of the majority of people that voted) rather than effectiveness (some may prefer to release). Plain and simple, it's a factor that is irrelevant to sheer skill/aim.
If you think that you have spent 1 month playing with this new sniper compared to 2 years of the old one, your complaints are quite empty. Besides this, if after such long time you are still thinking how changes in weapons will affect your ability to get top scores, you have not learned anything about legions (or tribes for that matter).
It's been over 2 months actually. And you know I am using the LR the vast majority of the time I am playing this game. The votes in this thread clearly indicate what people who snipe are more comfortable with. You need to stop talking from a perspective that has only experienced the LR's output damage and not it's actual use. You make it painfully obvious that you're likely among the 3-4 people (sounds about right) that voted for the release option in this thread without being a player that actually uses it regularly.
I am surprised that sniper is the only thing you bother to post and make polls for when there are so many other things wrong in this game. For example I cannot understand why the people who are still playing regularly have absolutely no problem with game design and physics. This ranges from obvious problems with things like scales (objects & map vs player size) and skiing (accel & decell from 0-200 in under 2 secs), and goes until issues which most ppl here would never even suspect like dueling, strafing, boosts, downjet +++ I mean how could there be anything wrong with downjet?!?! After all it's one of few things unique to this game so I guess it must be perfect already...
Really if you are going to care, at least care about the right things.

Really? Press back and take a look at the suggestion forum for a second, see what you find with my avatar. I hope you enjoyed extending this thread with your ignorant perspective.