Actual PCGamer Best games ever thread thing...

Daphinicus

Private Tester
Minecraft instead of Portal? Really?

Keep in mind, folks, we're talking about the best games of all time here. No one will ever agree fully with such a list, but when you're thinking on its validity, you need to take into account the cultural impact many of these games had, the quantum shifts in gameplay they engendered, and they way they positively tore apart barriers when they first came out.

Portal upended our expectations of character in games with GlaDOS and the Companion Cube, while delivering a stark yet beautiful aesthetic never before seen, all wrapped around a new gameplay paradigm that colossally transformed out conceptions of what was possible in video gaming. And, it was hellishly fun to boot. Minecraft is really fun, but it's not a game; it's a toy. A pretty damned cool, digital toy, but a toy nonetheless.

World of Warcraft boasts some of the most polished and balanced gameplay in the world, an ever-expanding and engrossingly rich storyline, a uniquely stylized and stunning aesthetic, and a treasure trove of replayability, come together in a package that brought about the most astounding cultural shift in gaming we've ever seen. It might not be your cup of tea, and that's totally fine, but don't knock it just because lots of people play it and you want to sound hardcore.

And as for Deus Ex, I know it might be before most of your times, but that was a game that turned storylines in games on their heads and expectations in games on their backs. It was the first game where your choices, your actions, and your emotional connection to the game had a visceral impact on what you experienced. Yes, other games have done it since. They might even have done it just as well. But when you're putting together a list of the finest PC games ever made, you pay your respects to the game that started it all. Because that was the first time we felt like we were really part of the game.

Just sayin', folks. You might not agree with it, but think before you knock it.

(And yes, the absence of Total Annihilation from that list is a gross offense against gamingkind.)

MJ1284

World of Warcraft boasts some of the most polished and balanced gameplay in the world, an ever-expanding and engrossingly rich storyline, a uniquely stylized and stunning aesthetic, and a treasure trove of replayability, come together in a package that brought about the most astounding cultural shift in gaming we've ever seen. It might not be your cup of tea, and that's totally fine, but don't knock it just because lots of people play it and you want to sound hardcore.

"Rich storyline" in MMORPG? How many players will actually get into Warcraft lore? From what I've seen and heard none of the MMO's are popular because of their storyline (I might be wrong though).
Far as "replayability" goes all I've seen in MMORPG's is grinding grinding and even more grinding (oh, did I mention "grinding" already?). Calling any MMORPG a Role Playing Game is an offense itself to true RPGs that boast on rich dialogue and storyline, slapping statistic points and EXP doesn't make a game RPG, period.

I don't want to make a flame war out of this, but I simply wanted to state my opinion *talks with stereotypic teenaged D&D fanboy nerd voice* that character skill & talent development is NOT the main part of RPG games, any "RPG" game that puts main focus on improving character gear & skills & EXP levels aren't truly RPG games.

ocarina_boy

I don't want to make a flame war out of this, but I simply wanted to state my opinion *talks with stereotypic teenaged D&D fanboy nerd voice* that character skill & talent development is NOT the main part of RPG games, any "RPG" game that puts main focus on improving character gear & skills & EXP levels aren't truly RPG games.

The focus on improving character skills, gear and exp in games mirrors that of selfish materialism that is rampant in the youth of today. Your right, they aren't really rpg's, they're just adventure treasure hording self-development games with no soul. It makes people sick and drives out what spiritual essence is left in them, creating left-brain prisoners, which is what the establishment wants. Am I saying there is a hidden agenda within video-games? Yes indeed I am.

MightySheep

Aren't these lists done by popular vote?

So you're obviously going to end up with a bunch of newfags who have played like 5 games in their lifetimes voting on these things (which explains WoW #2)

If the list was created solely by the writers then those ppl had to of played every game in existance to be qualified to even make such a list

Edit: and not just played for like a day but properly, otherwise you can't judge it properly, E.g. Wurm Online. Everyones first impression is always like "wtf is this crap" but end up playing it for the rest of their life

Daphinicus

Private Tester
"Rich storyline" in MMORPG? How many players will actually get into Warcraft lore? From what I've seen and heard none of the MMO's are popular because of their storyline (I might be wrong though).
Far as "replayability" goes all I've seen in MMORPG's is grinding grinding and even more grinding (oh, did I mention "grinding" already?). Calling any MMORPG a Role Playing Game is an offense itself to true RPGs that boast on rich dialogue and storyline, slapping statistic points and EXP doesn't make a game RPG, period.

I'm a D&D player myself, bud, so I hear where you're coming from. =)

Yes, an MMORPG is quite unlike a tabletop RPG, or even a more classical RPG like a Bioware game. But defining and even dismissing games by their proposed genre is kinda foolish, bud. No, WoW is not about putting story first, you can't take the game in unplanned directions, and the final culmination of dungeons is not up to a Dungeon Master. That's why folks still play D&D; it's an experience that simply can't be replicated on a computer (though Neverwinter Nights tried mightily).

But you can't define WoW (or any other successful MMO, for that matter) by the fact that it lacks those elements of gameplay, since it was never trying to achieve them in the first place. WoW's gameplay is remarkably different, especially in the endgame: it's about planned strategy, disciplined teamwork, quick reflexes, and complex encounters. Yeah, there's number crunching, but only if you want to get into that stuff (much like D&D, in fact).

I stand by my description. WoW's gameplay is phenomenally well-balanced, thanks to a dedicated balance team and millions of players' worth of statistical data they crunch (and anyone who's ever designed games can tell you that balance is the bane of their existence). It does have a highly engrossing storyline and wonderfully rich lore, though it doesn't force it down folks' throats; players can, and do, play through the entire game many times over without ever really "seeing" the lore. But there is tons of it there, and it doesn't take much at all to see it and become wrapped up in it -- and you can always step even further into the world with the novels, comics, and so forth.

And as for replayability: 10 classes, 10 races, dozens of unique zones filled with startlingly witty, emotional, and funny quests, almost a dozen tiers of end-game dungeoning and raiding, Arena PvP, Battleground PvP, achievements, collectibles, holiday events, and on, and on, and on. If you ever feel like you're grinding, you're probably doing it wrong (with a couple notable exceptions -- I'm looking at you, Love Is In The Air quests).

You're allowed to not like it. You're allowed to hate it. I hate lots of games other folks find enjoyable, like Smash Bros., Counterstrike, DOTA, and so forth. That's personal preference, and that's fine.

But blithely stating that a game sucks -- especially given how it has impacted people's lives and the state of gaming as a whole -- is pretty ignorant, bud. Games like WoW and CoD are easy to bash, because hardcore gamers tend to despise casual gamers and the games they play. But there's a reason WoW is #2 on that list. There's also a reason it's not #1.

An no, it has nothing to do with the journalists being sycophantic sell-outs. Having been in their shoes, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

[/walloftext]

[Edit]

The focus on improving character skills, gear and exp in games mirrors that of selfish materialism that is rampant in the youth of today. Your right, they aren't really rpg's, they're just adventure treasure hording self-development games with no soul. It makes people sick and drives out what spiritual essence is left in them, creating left-brain prisoners, which is what the establishment wants. Am I saying there is a hidden agenda within video-games? Yes indeed I am.

I smell me a TROLL! =)

[/edit]

Xtreme

shaska's bff
[...]Portal is SO FRIGGING LAME and should be replaced by minecraft in that position[...]

You sure you didn't switch the two around? Portal is quite amusing, even for people that hate mind-teasers. Minecraft is just a pc-version of Legos made for weirdo 6-year olds who are for some reason socially retarded and cannot physically interact with plastic building blocks.

ocarina_boy

I smell me a TROLL! =)

Im not trolling I'm just giving you the opportunity to see things from my obviously very unpopular point of view. Just because my beliefs aren't the same as everybody elses doesn't mean I'm a troll. It's not my intention to offend anyone only to show them that there are people out there who think differently from the herd.

Daphinicus

Private Tester
Im not trolling I'm just giving you the opportunity to see things from my obviously very unpopular point of view. Just because my beliefs aren't the same as everybody elses doesn't mean I'm a troll. It's not my intention to offend anyone only to show them that there are people out there who think differently from the herd.

In that case, you're putting WAY too much stock in the development community's ability to plan massive conspiracies that involve melting the brains of our beloved youth. They're playing the same games we are; if it's melting our minds, it's melting theirs, too. =)

Also, I've met a lot of these guys. They're like us, except they're giggling every night because they get to make games for a living, and we don't.

TF2, number 4? Vanilla TF2, maybe. Not the current version.

And where was Marathon? Doom may have started that whole genre, but Marathon is literally so much better that the first Doom can almost be disregarded.

MJ1284

Daph's Great Wall of Text

Well, you COULD go on and on what WoW did right and what it did wrong but honestly that's not the gripe I have with WoW (and MMORPG's in general). The reason why I loathe MMORPG's is simply the fact that it draws a huge crowd of air-headed fanboys who eat & breathe & worship & *chocolate cookies* whatever MMORPG they're so fond of.. and to make it even worse, they feel they're obliged to shove it down other peoples throats no matter what.
Yes, there are players who are genuinely interested in game's lore and yes, there are players who actually attempt to ROLE PLAY the game instead of making min-maxed character.. but they're the silent & invisible part of community.

The other thing I hate about that list (especially Fallout < Fallout 3 statement in that list) is that it feeds all those 10-15 year old kids who go around stating "Fallout 1 looks *chocolate cookies* so it must be bad, play Fallout 3 instead becuz it's totaly awsum and kicks azz!!!!!!!" (P.S Fallout 3 is just a huge boring sandbox when compared to Fallout 1/2/New Vegas). And it's these same kids who make up for majority of the community to Halo/CoD/MW/insert-any-generic-game.. this in turn encourages game houses to rehash same Ye Olde games that were published 15 years ago, only with slightly upgraded graphics (and these games will draw in another "This game is awsum!!!" fanboys and... well you get the idea).

Long story short: MMORPGs popularity is one big reason why single player RPGs are of dying breed. And generic FPS games and their popularity is reason why other genres are dying. The fact that majority of FPS games are carbon copies of Doom I & Wolfenstein 3D is reason why creativity & originality in video game industry is dying.

... and EA is killing game industry by buying out game houses & forces them to butcher their games with half-assed DLC packs. *dance* EA!

To make it even shorter: It's all gone to hell.
[/rant]

Propkid

You sure you didn't switch the two around? Portal is quite amusing, even for people that hate mind-teasers. Minecraft is just a pc-version of Legos made for weirdo 6-year olds who are for some reason socially retarded and cannot physically interact with plastic building blocks.
Quite amusing? I've spent ~35 seconds falling into a portal in the ground from a portal directly above it in the ceiling. The only moment of satisfaction came when I passed the GlaD fight way quicker than average, because i MA-teled a couple of times in a row, but that was it. If 'amusement' is an argument for placing a game high up in that list then I'd put in Love MMO or Lego Racer (;D) or FSX or even Madness Combat -.-

Oh, and is it me or is Black and White missing from that list? If so then this absence makes the list invalid.

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
I dunno, there's lots of roleplaying opportunities in World of Warcraft. Seymour enjoys logging onto one of the roleplaying servers as his pervy, androgynous, vampire dwarf: 'Crimson Flagpole'. There's lots of indepth discussion and roleplaying that occurs in the town of Goldshire, for example.

Give it a whirl, sometime, it's a hoot!