Hand Grenades

Do you want hand grenades in Legions Overdrive?

• Yes

Votes: 60 65.9%
  • No

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • Other (please elaborate)

Votes: 4 4.4%

• Total voters

TheWimp

hell yeah mine disc! Just how big are the grenades though? it shouldn't be huge and needs to be a skill to MA them next to someone.

Piggeh

Puzzlemaster
In Tribes, were mines an offhand weapon, capable of being thrown at the exact same time as the disc launcher? Or was it some sort of mine launcher hotswap disc launcher combo? Because my issues were AOE (which Disci has already addressed) and the fact that they could be spammed at the same time. Even in other FPS, I don't think you can fire your weapon and throw a grenade at the same time. Maybe I'm wrong.

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
In Tribes, were mines an offhand weapon, capable of being thrown at the exact same time as the disc launcher? Or was it some sort of mine launcher hotswap disc launcher combo? Because my issues were AOE (which Disci has already addressed) and the fact that they could be spammed at the same time. Even in other FPS, I don't think you can fire your weapon and throw a grenade at the same time. Maybe I'm wrong.

Yar, you would bind the mine/grenade keys separately from your main fire button.

nor10

Yes, pretty much you could fire them at the same time, which would be a really stupid idea because it almost guarentees suicide by mine discing yourself. And no they were not over overpowered because it was a tough skill to master.

discord

Private Tester
But could you fire them at almost the same time?

Edit: And was it abused/overpowered?

Yeah, after a couple days of obligatory overuse, they got toned down. It was pretty laffo to kill someone without ever firing a weapon shot though.

Also, the 'shanking' or 'minediscing' aspect got toned down with a much smaller hitbox on the grenade. Turned out pretty balanced after the initial wave of tomfoolery was over with.

Falcon

Private Tester
The pineapples opened up a whole other window of opportunity for cap routes. I remember Falcon would easily get half way across the map when he was using outrider and if he did his route correctly, so of course keep the pineapples!

And this is exactly what I think the problem was with them. In my opinion, I think they changed the basic structure of Legions movement by allowing absurd, almost instant jumps in velocity (speed and direction) both on the ground and in the air. Specifically I could get across Zenith in just one jump by "shank jumping", changing the overall flow of the map and the game. While yes, there was quite a large health trade-off, the boost that it gave was overpowered.

As a solution to this problem I would tone down the knockback effect of both singular pineapples and "shanks". Pineapples alone became way to much of an effective and moderately spammable source of AoE knockback used to throw off cappers or wreak havoc in an enemy base. Towards the latest build on the NanuNanu and LP servers these problems were beginning to be addressed, but I think it needs to go a little further with the nerfing of pineapples, especially in knockback (both amount and radius). After all, it is clearly support weapon as it can be fired at the same time as the general (main) weapons.

From what I remember, I believe they were too spammable and the rocket/grenade explosion (Shanking) were far too easy. I also believe they shouldn't be unlimited.

DeadGuy

Legions Developer
IMO we got them pretty balanced in the end. We can talk about them more seriously after you guys have played the game and shed your rust. :)

tofuman64

Shortly before IA went down for the (failed) update, specialized hand grenades were implemented on the NanuNanu servers. Will we see an actual weapon for this or will just remain as a keybinding?

DeadGuy

Legions Developer
Shortly before IA went down for the (failed) update, specialized hand grenades were implemented on the NanuNanu servers. Will we see an actual weapon for this or will just remain as a keybinding?
Keybinding, with a limited number that you can carry at a time.

Siantlark

What I didn't like was the huge knockback they had nad how disorienting it could be. The Teamkillers on one server had a field day doing this to me and some other teammates.

Also the mine discing. God. You'd think they'd actually stop torturing spawn points.

DeadGuy

Legions Developer
What I didn't like was the huge knockback they had nad how disorienting it could be. The Teamkillers on one server had a field day doing this to me and some other teammates.

Also the mine discing. God. You'd think they'd actually stop torturing spawn points.

You have 3 seconds of invulnerability when you spawn. Unless you fire your weapon within 3 seconds of spawning, they won't be able to hurt you as you get oriented. As to the knockback, we can play with it after everyone has gotten used to the game again and are able to make fairer judgments.

Kryst

Private Tester
They brought a new element to the game... Legions needs more depth in combat and this was a welcome addition imo.