Ship Siege game mode

Calimo

A "new" game mode I've been thinking of recently.
Although I would like to take credit in saying I made this up all by myself... It's based heavily off of Battlefield 2142's (One of the most underrated games in my opinion.) Titan Mode.

This is how it worked in 2142.

The way I see it.

It starts off as a Capture and Hold mission. There can be 3, 5, 7 towers that are held. There can be starting tickets of 100, 200, 500, (insert whatever number you want here). For every 30 seconds you control a tower, 1 ticket is lost on the enemy force field. Once their force field is dissolved (This would occur roughly when half the tickets are lost) you can either

The base will have 4 control points you will have to destroy in order to open up the ship/base's emergency blast shields which will expose the ship/base's power core (I like to think it would be a bigger version of a legions overdrive core or something powering the base... .. I just find that really cool... yeep >_> ) Once the core is exposed, enemy forces may work their way into the core room and fire at it until it is destroyed. Each shot deals more damage to the ship itself (lowering its tickets)
The towers themselves will start to peck away at the ship, dealing damage to the ship itself. After so many tickets are lost (100, 200, 500, etc.) the ship/base is blown up. Causing the team with still a base/ship remaining to win.

If your ship loses its force field. You may defend it from within. It would turn into base combat on the inside to fight out the enemy invaders.

I always enjoyed Titan Mode in 2142. There were different ways to win. It made for very dynamic game play.
You had to be very careful about where the troops were.
In very close games, both enemy shields were down. So in order to win.. you had to have men defending your titan while assaulting the enemy titan AND have people grabbing silos in order to win. If you had too many troops or too few troops in one area... you lost.
Its classic Capture and Hold with a twist.

Since I can't develop games... and my knowledge of coding/developing is rudimentary at best... I have no clue how much work this would take/if its even possible. I just thought it could work well in legions.

Feel free to like, bash, question or add on with your own thoughts/ideas!

this video roughly shows how titan assault worked against minimal titan defense. The video starts right as the enemy titan's shields went down. You can watch them attack consoles inside the enemy titan. Once all four consoles were destroyed the core room was exposed. Once the core was destroyed... you can watch them all run for their lives off the titan!

One final note... I am piss poor at explaining things through text. If anyone needs me to reiterate anything, just ask!

A second final note... There doesn't need to be vehicles for this to work .. since.. ya' know.. our backpacks got jets.

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
I'm not sure how well indoors combat works for Legions, as it greatly removes the freedom of movement, so any mid-air base or 'Titan' would have to be very large so that combat could still have the legions feel. Elsewise, it'll be mortars being dropped in hallways, and plasma spamming. Its an interesting idea, so I'd like to see how others think of it.

Calimo

What about mid-air base? i can make that:D

That would be epic! If anyone is ever able to create this, I'm sure your input and ideas would be much appreciated!

I'm not sure how well indoors combat works for Legions, as it greatly removes the freedom of movement, so any mid-air base or 'Titan' would have to be very large so that combat could still have the legions feel. Elsewise, it'll be mortars being dropped in hallways, and plasma spamming. Its an interesting idea, so I'd like to see how others think of it.

You bring up a very good point! Base combat would create a change within legions combat/game-play. However, I don't believe the freedom of movement legions has to offer is fixed only to open hillsides and outside bases.

The bases would have to be large to accommodate the many explosions legions has to offer. The corridors shown in the titan video would be waay too small. It would be nearly impossible for any offense to break through. But I personally don't believe that base combat would in anyway limit the feel of legions as a whole. If anything, I believe it would open up a whole new category of game-play for everyone to try out!

But base size would have to be something that's really well thought out, great input!

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
You'd probably need to make it open top and then have a central area in which you can go inside. This thing will have to be huge though to allow enough space for indoor combat.

stefygraff

Private Tester
That would be epic! If anyone is ever able to create this, I'm sure your input and ideas would be much appreciated!

i might be able to import the fallout base... That should do it, or use more open space like forgotton.
main idea is to keep the base in the sky i guess...

Calimo

You'd probably need to make it open top and then have a central area in which you can go inside. This thing will have to be huge though to allow enough space for indoor combat.

I always envisioned it to be closed in with wide/tall corridors. The core room would be big, and the major hallway leading to it would be big. But the corridors would just be fairly tall/wide. About how open the bases are in fallout ... except bigger.

Ammo stations would probably have to be far and few between to allow for less mortar spam.

i might be able to import the fallout base... That should do it, or use more open space like forgotton.
main idea is to keep the base in the sky i guess...

I like the idea of the fallout base! In my mind I just see the base as being a bit bigger to hold everything. It really doesn't have to be floating. It could be underground, or ever a base just sitting out in the open.

The main idea I see is just keeping the game-play (at first) solely capture and hold. Then after a certain point having it phase to be Capture and Hold + Siege. As long as the base can withstand a heavy siege.. and it cant be overrun too easily.. and allows for smooth game-play... it would work!

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
You bring up a very good point! Base combat would create a change within legions combat/game-play. However, I don't believe the freedom of movement legions has to offer is fixed only to open hillsides and outside bases.

The bases would have to be large to accommodate the many explosions legions has to offer. The corridors shown in the titan video would be waay too small. It would be nearly impossible for any offense to break through. But I personally don't believe that base combat would in anyway limit the feel of legions as a whole. If anything, I believe it would open up a whole new category of game-play for everyone to try out!

But base size would have to be something that's really well thought out, great input!
I see where you're coming from with that. One other thought. Due to the pace of legions, the capture/hold points will be difficult at best for any one team to hold on to with both teams trying to get them all, since the impression I got is that there would be two "titans" The servers for this would have to have a pretty good capacity should there be several posts to cap and hold. The obvious strategy for after one team's titan goes vulnerable would be to use an overwhelming offensive on the titan and a skeleton defense on the points, but that wouldn't work too well in a PUB situation. I think that there should be either a provision for stalemates, or make it a one-titan affair. (there could be one-titan and two-titan game modes) The One-titan game mode would be more like Assault mode from UT or Attack/Defend from TF2 where each game is two rounds, and each team gets a turn to attack and defend, and the team that destroys the base fastest wins the match. With the minimal coordination to be expected in PUBs, this alternative may be more appealing. The idea would be that the defending team could still re-take the towers, sealing off any intruders inside the titan, preventing reinforcements from infiltrating and themselves from leaving, forcing a few tactical decisions on the part of the interlopers.

Just an idea, take it how you will.

stefygraff

Private Tester
i'm pretty sure lots of people will be thinking this....mortars ftw :p

Not if we cut it out from the game mod :D In any case, i will give a try making an closed base kinda map but it will be only for fun... not something you want to play ctf on :D

stefygraff

Private Tester
Hope i will not crush the game doing...
NOTE: i will not insist on details for the map, ill just take a big chunk of object and make it huge, set the spawn points and thats it(only to see how this works> for the fun of it and for killing calimos thread ¥evil laugh¥)

Calimo

Hope i will not crush the game doing...
NOTE: i will not insist on details for the map, ill just take a big chunk of object and make it huge, set the spawn points and thats it(only to see how this works> and for killing calimos thread ¥evil laugh¥)

STEFYNOOO.jpg

How.... how.. could you..... you heartless....... IT HAD CHILDREN

Nooooo(good luck)ooooo!