What is your opinion on Tribes Ascend?

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
They are a business. I would have gladly just paid a retail price for the game. Instead of that, I preordered to support the company and have all the classes along with around 50k tokens laying around and enough experience on classes to fully unlock everything on those that aren't complete and the next three loadouts that are made available. The free to play model will suck money out of the wealthy and the stupid. This model also creates a decent influx of new players trying it since it is 'free' along with allowing those who simply cannot afford it to play. There have been plenty of discussions on the ramifications of the loadout system in their forums, and for non Hi-Rez competitions it should be a non-issue.

I have no problem with Hi-Rez making money. Its just that the amount of tokens needed is actually insane to get. I get around 75 ish tokens a game, so therefore I'd need to play 200 games so I can afford to get 1 loadout, out of 10. So times that again, and that is 2000 games. That seems pretty insane to me.

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
What bugs me is that you can't at least try out those classes first. Sure, you can try on the demo map things, but that doesn't give a feel for what playing with them will actually be like against other humans :/

Oh, and it also bugs me how if you play a game from the very beginning and play through the first five minutes of overtime before you have to leave for class, it doesn't give you tokens/experience when you leave, yet it does if you played for 30 seconds (happened to me yesterday). It's just frustrating. Maybe make leaving early give you 10% less tokens or whatever, but still. I had played a good game and helped my team stay tied at 4 with theirs for the past 30 minutes. I feel like I ought to get something out of that. :mad:

2000 games seems pretty good. 10 loadouts for dedicated players who've managed to play >2000 games.
Dedicated? More like obsessed. Let's assume you play 3 games a day. That means you'll have to play for 667 days, or just under two solid years of playing a huge amount of games per day. Now, let's be more realistic and go with 1.5 games a day. That's 3.6 years. Let's say after six months of playing, you play something else for a while and then come back to the game for six months (more likely still), you end up with 7.3 years to unlock everything. Really? Do you really expect that many people to stick around that long? :confused: That's not dedication, that's obsession. And the way that Hi-Rez works, it's unlikely that there will be such dedication from the old tribes players given that they aren't going to find it fun unless it's like they remember, which it isn't because of Hi-Rez and limiting skill ceilings.

RiPTaCk

Because Tribes is a franchise that has got its dedicated old-school community which is willing to pay for another Tribes game without knowing if it is going to be a good game or just a moneymaker thing from Hi-Rez.

Noober

I'm enjoying to play it..
But it's still full of bugs, Hitscan weapons are op, No mod options, only 4 maps are boring now... and there are so much people that came from others games like "global agenda" and they don't know NOTHING about tribes teamplay. People reutrn flag or grab it because it give 500 *dancing* points!
Netcode is a problem too.. a lot of time all thing is "swapping" players, flag..
I've bought the Preorder so i have most of the class unlocked.
About the speed, yes it's so slow for a legions player..
but tribes 2 was so slow too.. they tired to do a physics between tribes 1 and 2..
Inventory and generator lose most of them functions with Loadout respawn.

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
I'm enjoying to play it..
But it's still full of bugs, Hitscan weapons are op, No mod options, only 4 maps are boring now... and there are so much people that came from others games like "global agenda" and they don't know NOTHING about tribes teamplay. People reutrn flag or grab it because it give 500 *dancing* points!
Netcode is a problem too.. a lot of time all thing is "swapping" players, flag..
I've bought the Preorder so i have most of the class unlocked.
About the speed, yes it's so slow for a legions player..
but tribes 2 was so slow too.. they tired to do a physics between tribes 1 and 2..
Inventory and generator lose most of them functions with Loadout respawn.

Yeah... There's a reason that in LTS I made sure that grabs count as -1 points. People just llama otherwise :(

And while I've never played the T1 or T2, I would prefer the loadout system of them as that would drastically increase team play as it would cause true dependence on the generator.

I tried GA for a couple weeks, but got bored fairly quickly. It's nothing like legions or tribes. People should stop thinking that *Tribes: Ass-End* = Global Agenda 2.0 :mad:

Dabbleh

Legions Developer
I really like it, even though there are a tonne of noobs. I've been playing DM recently and I mean, nobody on the server can catch you, if you have any kind of experience.

I also got a badass MA on the flag carrier, pretty chuffed with that.

I enjoy it i think its good tbh the only thing i don't like at the minute is the amount of tokens to unlock each class(i haven't played since the new patch) and the weapon speed inheritance its way to low that you can almost out run you disk when you shoot it. they should at least increase it to 50%

Skutki

It's not awful. It's just really bad compared to Legions :D. Top skiing speeds are funnily low, MAs and actually all shots are luck dependant (compared to legions), ranger is so effin overpowered compared to soldier. Don't get the point of perks and skills, I still scored in the top 2 for all of the 10 matches i played today.

Oh and airstrike isnt as bad as I thought itll be :D got some funny kills with it. But the game is really unsatisfying, and full of noobs. And its slow.

Dabbleh

Legions Developer
It's not awful. It's just really bad compared to Legions :D. Top skiing speeds are funnily low, MAs and actually all shots are luck dependant (compared to legions), ranger is so effin overpowered compared to soldier. Don't get the point of perks and skills, I still scored in the top 2 for all of the 10 matches i played today.

Oh and airstrike isnt as bad as I thought itll be :D got some funny kills with it. But the game is really unsatisfying, and full of noobs. And its slow.
Even though I find most of what you said true, I think it has potential, and I want to play a game like Legions but with some eyecandy!

Redvan

Private Tester
T:A is nice for the playerbase, content, and support.

Combat is abysmal next to Legions.

Needs more maneuverability. That should be the first step to "fixing" hitscan. It'll also help how fricking easy projectile is too...

wait for it... WAIT FOR IT!!!!!! GROUND SHOT!!!!
Love watching people just hover there, not even attempting a MA, waiting for you to hit the ground exactly where they know you will, because you have zero maneuverability.
Talk about elementary combat.

And I thought there was some ideas out there that capping was harder in Tribes than Legions because of the lower maneuverability... I've yet to see it.

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
TribesProgression.png

Saw that in a guy's sig on the HR forums. At the bottom he had a caption: "Playing Legions"