Legions FAQ

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
Alright, here's the FAQ that's posted on the site, reposted here. As more information becomes available, expect this to get updated as well.

RedInk

Same here, Fixious. When I saw a music position on the team I was like 'whoa', and from there on was interested with FE:L music.

I am imagining it will be some high paced adrenaline rushing pow wow music. Would go great with it...well more with tribes(I mentioned tribes! Yikes!).

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
Okay, two things. If and when the mac support is incoming, will there be private testing for the mac version? Also, how do you get a signature and a sweet banner on the bottom? I looked through my profile, but editing settings isn't very intuitive.

Zhou

Private Tester
Heh, I didn't say what Crash picked from my footage was particularly good, just that it nabbed me a tshirt.

Also, this was before hotswapping became universally reviled iirc.

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer

Even though that means I wasted ten dollars back in the day, I'm pretty glad about this part. Any chance of using skin mods?
Unlikely... The problem is that while its entirely possible to create your own skins in theory, getting them distributed to others would be very difficult.

I see it more likely that they might have a contest now and then to design a new skin and the winner gets something special. The problem is that everything is drawn locally and that only coordinates and events are sent to the servers. This means that if you want a custom skin that others would see in-game, you'd have to somehow distribute it to them via the internet, though some people have slow internet and it wouldn't work well.

The only solution I've come up with to alleviate this is to allow someone to upload it into Overdrive which would then check the size and tell the user if its not. If it is, it is then linked to your profile and if you get into a match with someone and they have a checkbox in their personal settings labeled "Show Custom Skins" marked, the server will distribute your skin to their computer during countdown phase. Of course, in matches with, say 32 people or what have you, this would take forever, so idk what to do in that case, but for smaller games it could work.

Problems still arise though if you want to permanently store the images for future games. How many skins do you store? Also, what about vulgarities and other inappropriate content? These problems need to be addressed first.

RockeyRex

Legions Developer
Client side skins are not really an issue. If a person with a custom skin joins, he will see his own custom skin and the people without a matching named skin see a "default" team skin. Same thing was done back in Tribes 1/2

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
Client side skins are not really an issue. If a person with a custom skin joins, he will see his own custom skin and the people without a matching named skin see a "default" team skin. Same thing was done back in Tribes 1/2
I guess that's true... I guess I'm still thinking in terms of IA. There'd need to be some skin database/reference like what we have for mods/HUD's now for it though, but that would be easy to do.

I guess at that point though, what would encourage people to periodically download new skins? I doubt it would happen. Also, how do you register a name for your skin so that there aren't duplication errors? There'd have to be a system for it...

I love skins and want them, but there are hurdles associated with them...

RockeyRex

Legions Developer
Duplication is not really an issue. You'll see your version of the skin anyways so there is no real danger of offensive material. Also if really wished a crc check can be done by the server and then be refered to by the clients.