ping shows 40-60 but i feel as if i have over 130.

Fissurez

Puzzlemaster
legions.shazbot.eu.png

herfordshire, UK

Virgin media, Cable

1415374329.png

using wifi - Edimax EW-7612PIn Wireless PCI-Express Adapter

trinium

Private Tester
I get similar results showing packet loss w/ CAT 6 and business grade networking equipment. Sometimes it feels as you describe but sometimes it does not. If you set ping plotter to 1k samples @ 1 second intervals , some hardware will start filtering packets because it thinks your getting flooded because of the large amount of ping replies coming in from each hop. If you get the same results , even once you switch to an ethernet cable .. try shutting down / removing anything running a firewall / UTM / IDS. If the packet loss is still showing up from 86...1 to 86...65 and also shows on the other hops you may have another problem. It could be anything from a bad network card (rare) bad modem/router (more common especially from overheating) to a problem on your line. If you using DSL call the company and make sure there is not a bridge tap on the line. If you running cable, it may be more difficult to get anywhere w/ tech support since the drops coming into your area are shared by multiple customers. Oh, with the router/dsl modem ... if it has a firewall set/spam filtering set/anti-virus , etc. disabling these will reduce the load on the router. A normal home 10/100 router cannot handle 100meg throughput with all those services running and depending on the model / firmware , your packets may be getting put into a buffer for processing by said services which will basically will make your connection feel as if the ping is higher.

Fissurez

Puzzlemaster
I get similar results showing packet loss w/ CAT 6 and business grade networking equipment. Sometimes it feels as you describe but sometimes it does not. If you set ping plotter to 1k samples @ 1 second intervals , some hardware will start filtering packets because it thinks your getting flooded because of the large amount of ping replies coming in from each hop. If you get the same results , even once you switch to an ethernet cable .. try shutting down / removing anything running a firewall / UTM / IDS. If the packet loss is still showing up from 86...1 to 86...65 and also shows on the other hops you may have another problem. It could be anything from a bad network card (rare) bad modem/router (more common especially from overheating) to a problem on your line. If you using DSL call the company and make sure there is not a bridge tap on the line. If you running cable, it may be more difficult to get anywhere w/ tech support since the drops coming into your area are shared by multiple customers. Oh, with the router/dsl modem ... if it has a firewall set/spam filtering set/anti-virus , etc. disabling these will reduce the load on the router. A normal home 10/100 router cannot handle 100meg throughput with all those services running and depending on the model / firmware , your packets may be getting put into a buffer for processing by said services which will basically will make your connection feel as if the ping is higher.
Thanks, i will try this.

P.S. OH GOD WALL OF TEXT MY EYEEEEEESSSS

Mabeline

God-Tier
Your router has an unusually high deviation (that's probably the wireless...), other than that you're dropping packets with ridiculous jitter on the first hop to your provider which is ++bad. Your provider is almost assuredly crap if they're a cable company, doubly so if you live in a highly populated area. The best you can do outside of fiddling your own setup is whine at them about inconsistent pings. When that does nothing you can either upgrade your service or play at off-peak times (4am works pretty well).

See if your connection improves in the early hours of the morning (while using an actual cable, wireless is useless), if it does your problem isn't in your equipment.

GReaper

Grumpy
Router has average 0 ping, max 32 - so the wifi seems pretty stable. Keep it out of the picture whilst testing though.

But yes, try this at different times of the day, preferably first thing in the morning, just before you go to bed, etc.