ChampBob's Rants

ChampBob

Ever since Legions: Overdrive launched, I had some questions pertaining to what they seemed to have pointlessly changed, but it didn't matter enough for me to mention them any more than a small mention on TS or anywhere, which would usually be unanswered. As the updates came from the new devs and I saw that more things have been changed (often not needing to be changed in the first place) more questions arose. These questions have grown irritating, and I do wish for some answers, so please help me out:

1. Foliage. First thing I noticed since launch. Why is there no more foilage? By foliage I mean the popup grass on moonshine and blade run. It should never have been a problem because you can easily turn it off, and all it did was make things look prettier. Did something go wrong with the conversions to standalone client (as many things did)? If you still don't remember the foliage, this, although in low quality, should show it on the ground (the popup grass and flowers)

2. Why the shortened jet trails? Before you link me, this is what I found using the search function, and all it really said for explanation was for stealth. I can understand that... slightly (because turning off jets in air is such a big deal). But really, while they did not have to be as long as they were (You can see how long they were here), they did not have to be cut drastically down to almost nothing. Currently, they could use A BIT of a lengthening at least. If anyone yells at me for fps issues, then all there needs to be is a "long jet trails yes/no" option (which there already is, I believe?)

3. Lights. In mirage, you guys took away the bright lights on the bases, but left the beacons alone. I'm simply wondering why. If the lights glitched things up, it's understandable, but then why do the beacons still work?

4. G35 Headset. As a user of this headset, I am simply aggravated that the sound doesn't work for it and nobody said why devs haven't done anything about it (though I assume it is because they are working on gameplay things right now). I don't remember anything in the blog posts about tinkering with the sound, so why did this stop working? The current solution to this is 2 things: Either update or delete drivers. I will do niether because the new drivers for this headset cut off almost all features of the headset and no performance difference was noticed. Deleting the drivers is out of the question because then I don't get 7.1 surround sound (kind of part of the reason I bought this thing in the firs t place). I simply want to know what went wrong, and if you don't know, then just say so. That's all I (and maybe a few others) want.

5. Public Test Servers. Asking for when new content will be released is useless, but what they did was utterly kill all other servers (for whenever I'm on, all servers are dead empty except public test). If you guys want to bring in new blood to spill, then this isn't the way to do it. New players don't want to get stuck in balance issues, glitches and whatever else might be in those servers right away, they just want to play.
So are you guys actually constantly changing the content to attempt to balance it (by constant I mean on a weekly to biweekly basis), or are they simply up to appease the players so they have some variety. A test is a test, and if it hasn't been changed in 2 weeks, haven't you guys had enough playtest time to see what needs to be fixed/tinkered/removed? Shouldn't it really be a teaser to what you guys are working on? I apologize for any ignorance here, because I haven't played on them, but my statements still stand.

6. Quarry. If you bring it back, don't take away all the pretty stuff (lights, textures, darkness, and backdrop, mainly)

7. Anisotropic Filtering. More of a suggestion than a rant, but I'd love to be able to turn this up. If it's a problem with the engine, then it's all right, but can it be done?

That is all I can think of for the moment. I do wish for answers, but as I am a pessimistic person, I am not expecting much. However, these have been irritating me for a while, and it's time I at least try to make these things heard.

Ucantry2run

Private Tester
first
I like how he used the search function. :D

I also have a G35 without the drivers installed to get Legions' sound. I dunno what I'm missing though, 'cause I never really installed them back (Or noticed a difference when I had).

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
Since most of these questions are of a technical nature, Seymour won't attempt to answer them. I'll prod some of the nerdier devs to see if I can score some answers for you.

Here's my take on the Public Test Server content. I don't believe it's designed to lure 'new blood' in, as it is more of a taste of things to come/test out new content and caters more for the existing playerbase. The 'password' is designed to keep away newblood players who would stumble into the server, so I'm not overly concerned that new players will be confused by the in-development mechanics or concerned about 'balance issues'. As for taking players away from the other servers, for sure this will happen as players will want to play with the new content. Hopefully once the new content begins pushing to the non-test servers, we'll start to see more activity on those servers. With that said, we're a pretty tiny community to begin with, so we'd likely only occupy a small amount of servers at a time.

Once Legions is ready, and Seymour is given the okay, he will unleash his Love Spores into the air and will attempt to secure as many new players as we can for Legions.

Fixious

Test Lead
The sound issues aren't specific to the G35 model. I have a logitech headset as well and have sound issues.

:(

I'd also like to see some foliage. I never got to play with them, since I never got a chance to play Legions during the IA days.

anak

VIP
1. You actually liked the attempt at foliage on Moonshine? I found that the contrast between the muddy, flat terrains and the random, two-dimensional, badly-AA'd grass stems was kind of an eyesore.

2. I miss the jet trails. They made legions prettier, and made up for the fact that incoming cappers are 2-pixels wide until they're right in your face.

3. By the bright lights do you mean the arches? I don't really see the point of lights in legions, since dark/foggy maps are impossible to play on anyways

4. legions, that's why. :p

5. The reason all the other servers are dead is mainly because almost no one plays legions.

6. Quarry. If you bring it back, don't take away all the pretty stuff (lights, textures, darkness, and backdrop, mainly)

7. I dont know anything about filtering, but I'm assuming that if it has to do with Torque and Graphics the answer is no :p

btw, these rants were pretty sparse ^_^

Jordahan

World Leader of The 21st Century
Not really a rant IMO, but I'm glad the foliage is gone, it was removed for a reason; because it was terribad.

Propkid

1. I liked the foliage, especially on Blade Run, but I really don't mind it gone. I'm sure that later on the devs will bring out some other form of a carpet for the maps, but that's for laaater.
2. Long jet trails, although awesome, really made you stand out in the sky and were too eye catching imo. They were also slightly annoying when chasing the enemy.
3. meh
4. Listen to music instead, works well for me.
5. +1 on this one: IMO as soon as the test material is tested it should be either released immediately or put away and cumulated for a larger release. The test servers are on too often.
6. YES PLEASE!!!
7. +1

Mabeline

God-Tier
2. Why the shortened jet trails? Before you link me, this is what I found using the search function, and all it really said for explanation was for stealth. I can understand that... slightly (because turning off jets in air is such a big deal). But really, while they did not have to be as long as they were (You can see how long they were here), they did not have to be cut drastically down to almost nothing. Currently, they could use A BIT of a lengthening at least. If anyone yells at me for fps issues, then all there needs to be is a "long jet trails yes/no" option (which there already is, I believe?)

The jet trails are some of the slowest parts of the game. The long trails were visually distracting and made it really really easy to see and stop people coming in on routes. They're never going back. We locked the jet trails in their current state because it was as short as we could make them without graphical glitches that I would have to rewrite things to fix.

The engine has never had good sound code and never will, spending time on that is a waste of effort. It has also never had good support for antialiasing or anisotropic filtering, force it via your graphics card drivers.

Gheist

King of all Goblins
[...] it was removed for a reason; because it was terribad.
Actually, if I recall correctly, it's gone because of an oversight, and it's not back because noone cares enough. As far as I know, there was no conscient decision to take out foliage.
[...] 4. G35 Headset. [...]
Where is your bug report? I'm not saying that that would change anything, but apparently you have this problem since L:O lauched. Now you're complaining, why no bug report so far?

m90ali

The only thing I can comment on is Number 4. I have a G35 headset, and it works fine on legions with or without the 7.1 surround system turned on. I have the latest Driver installed and I'm using Windows XP in case you wondered.

Mots0311

All these extra features are nice, but really I turn everything off or tune details down. Theres a video around here with the grass and daisies swaying in the wind and it looks really nice, it would seriously slow your computer down though. Pretty stuff is great and I remember seeing the flowers on blade run, but when it comes down to it I care most about being able to thump people into the ground.

ChampBob

Where is your bug report? I'm not saying that that would change anything, but apparently you have this problem since L:O lauched. Now you're complaining, why no bug report so far?
This issue has been reported before, and that is how I found the solutions that I listed. It was working absolutely fine until a certain update during Legions: Overdrive, and now it will not work unless I update or delete my G35 drivers. Considering those were the solutions, I assumed that this issue was still known for the retail drivers on the disc.

The only thing I can comment on is Number 4. I have a G35 headset, and it works fine on legions with or without the 7.1 surround system turned on. I have the latest Driver installed and I'm using Windows XP in case you wondered.
You have the latest driver and that's why it works. I went over that.

As for listening to music while I play, I do that already, but I still want to hear my lovely explosions.

And thank you, Mabeline, for explaining the engine limitations, though I still want my pretty jet trails.

HellzHere

5. Public Test Servers. Asking for when new content will be released is useless, but what they did was utterly kill all other servers (for whenever I'm on, all servers are dead empty except public test). If you guys want to bring in new blood to spill, then this isn't the way to do it. New players don't want to get stuck in balance issues, glitches and whatever else might be in those servers right away, they just want to play.
So are you guys actually constantly changing the content to attempt to balance it (by constant I mean on a weekly to biweekly basis), or are they simply up to appease the players so they have some variety. A test is a test, and if it hasn't been changed in 2 weeks, haven't you guys had enough playtest time to see what needs to be fixed/tinkered/removed? Shouldn't it really be a teaser to what you guys are working on? I apologize for any ignorance here, because I haven't played on them, but my statements still stand.

Well man, i guess you can speak for your own continent, On the euro side the small map server is filled way more often. This is mainly because Stygian comes way to often on the public test server. Like just today, I admit we had a good 8v8 frostbyte game but after that Stygian came and everyone went to the small map server.