PlanetSide 2 trailer

only1Bravo

Private Tester
If they're gonna try to make me pay to play Planetside again, it probably would have been good marketing practice to not make it look like every other generic shooter.

Have they said it's p2p yet? I can't see this doing well if it is... Especially since it died out pretty quickly the first time around. Everything seems to be going the f2p route these days.

anak

VIP
If they're gonna try to make me pay to play Planetside again, it probably would have been good marketing practice to not make it look like every other generic shooter.

Have they said it's p2p yet? I can't see this doing well if it is... Especially since it died out pretty quickly the first time around. Everything seems to be going the f2p route these days.
agreed - the trailer didn't really show us anything :/

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
If it can keep its player base high enough it should be fun... I'll be interested in trying it at least... From what I can tell from the videos I've seen of the first one, it always ended up degrading into mech combat, so hopefully they'll actually make infantry occur...

OmniNept

Actionaut
only1bravo said:

While it didn't maintain hundreds of thousands of subscribers, it never really died out: populations were stable for years, with 2-3 continents being locked (overpopulated) at a time. Even now, 8 years later, there are enough players for large-scale battles.

They're avoiding direct answers re. payment plans atm, but there's a fair amount of speculation that it'll have (very) limited f2p. They're also intending to improve play incentives, so we'll not be relegated to the same fights day-in, day-out.

volt said:
From what I can tell from the videos I've seen of the first one, it always ended up degrading into mech combat, so hopefully they'll actually make infantry occur...

That pretty much never happened, actually. Like at all, ever. There was a span of several months (in its 8-year history) where BFRs (mechs) were introduced and were overpowered, but they were quickly nerfed into obscurity. And even then, they were threats to only aircraft and ground vehicles; infantry were the one "unit" capable of easily destroying them.

Infantry are ubiquitous in Planetside and have been since its inception. In fact, they're somewhat overpowered, with a single decent infantry able to destroy/repel most gunship pilots IN AN OPEN *dancing* FIELD. It's the rare pilot that can kill them efficiently now. Infantry (and lots of them) are also necessary for capturing bases/towers, so they're always swarming around.

Seymour said:
Looking good, never did play the first game and I've always kicked myself for not giving it a go.

You should be kicking yourself. It's the most fun I've had in an online game, disregarding competitive XMP/UT play - and even then, it's probably more "fun", just less "satisfying"/challenging. While the oft-adored Tribes/Legions teamwork and coordination certainly exists, there's something different about flying a squadron of gunships into an area, destroying enemy air and ground units, and hotdropping into the base. You're then commanding your squad as you clear stairwells and corridors to reach inventory stations, vehicle stations (spawn bus!), spawn areas, and the base command center. It's dynamic, coordinated fun.

The fact that you can do near anything is awesome. People gravitate toward their preferred role, be it pilot, tank driver/gunner, combat engineer, cloaker, footsoldier, etc., but there are so many options when you're a bit bored. Whenever I got sick of A2A, I'd go grunting, sniping, or cloaking. It's also important to realize just how big the battles/continents are: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swlc4F5gBpM

There's also a lot you can do as an individual, depending on your skill. As a top pilot, I'd repel entire waves of enemy armour or air (and we're looking at dozens of approaching tanks and misc. vehicles). Seeing their lines (hundreds of people) falling back, or watching enemy pilots flee your territory was amazing. Or you'd "watch" a single cloaker sneak through an entire base , through dozens or even hundreds of enemies, to disable their generator and give your empire those few minutes to occupy the base's courtyard.

Hundreds, sometimes even a thousand plus people fighting in one area. And your actions are directing the flow of that fight. You don't get that in any other game.

EEeeeeeeeeee. Giddy.

I highly recommend everyone tries this game upon launch. Look for Neptunium-K.

*Note: My videos (edited by OmniSketch)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymUZnRV_uyI&feature=channel_video_title
http://forums.station.sony.com/ps/posts/list.m?topic_id=88000016842 (a lot of the comments are amusing)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhwJcs98X1M&feature=relmfu

Apcizzle

planetside was a great game. As Nept said, the coordination needed to inflitrate a base and successfully hack it and conquer it was a blast. Gave me an experience i never had with a MMO or FPS ever. I will keeping a keen out for this. any release date?