list of recomended programs

Poponfu

Lead Developer
Maya or 3dsMax those are your choices

or Blender if you want free but sub-par

edit: oh I thought you said modeling..

Piggeh

Puzzlemaster
What do you plan on modding? Reticles, HUD, etc? If so, Photoshop would be a safe bet.

Edit: Modelling? I'M SO CONFUSED >:O

Mabeline

God-Tier
The game's made pretty much entirely in Maya, 3DS Max, Photoshop, Visual Studio, and Torsion. You won't need Visual Studio and you'll only need one modelling tool.

Delpicy

Unless I am mistaken, I believe he was just asking for the programs that are generally used when players mod Legions. For modding, go with Photoshop (better, but $) or Gimp (still works fine, free) , and paint (free). You must also get the .dds plugin for photoshop or gimp respectively. Gimp and paint are all I'm using at the moment, and its all I need.

However, if you are interested in modeling, the best programs are the ones you have to pay for, Maya, 3D Max, etc. However, I currently have 3 free programs: Blender, Google Sketchup, and Milkshape 3D. While I never really use them because I have never put any really effort into modelling things, I believe any of these three can get the job done. Don't buy things just so you can mod/model a game.

Armageddon

Teapot
If you mean modding as in scripting, i've used notepad++ for a few years or plain old notepad. There are no modding programs for coding/scripting.