Download radiofriendly Flag Sounds

radiofriendly Flag Sounds

Overview

This small mod package changes the sounds for flag events in an effort to be much more intuitive. For example: you'll now hear a whopping great alarm when someone grabs your flag, and a gentle notification when the flag is passed midfield.

Included are a 11 new lore-friendly sounds which are powered by two scripts: FlagAlert and a modified version of ImpCTFSounds (both used with permission of RockeyRex).

Preview

Background info

I've always found it rather weird how Legions handles flag sounds. I often heard a flag pickup sound, only to find out that it was a harmless pass or a friendly grab. Or I missed the enemy grabbing the flag because it cried wolf. This mod allows you to keep your eyes on whatever you're doing, while still staying aware of the flag. All important flag sounds have their unique (hopefully intuitive) sounds and this makes it possible to hear what's going on with both your and the enemy's flag. You'll also hear a new and distinguishable sound when you get the flag yourself.

By rule of thumb, all enemy sounds are pitched lower than friendly sounds. This makes them not too cluttered during normal play, but the difference is noticeable if a lot of them happen in a short time (read: when you need them).

The sounds aren't perfect and I'll probably improve them later on. You can, of course, interchange the sounds yourself after installation. All file names are self-explanatory for their function. Included sounds are:

FlagAlert.wav (note: Noticeably different and recognisable.)​
blank.wav (note: Empty file. Rename and use this if you want to get rid of specific sounds.)​
cap_enemy.wav​
cap_friend.wav​
drop_enemy.wav​
drop_friend.wav​
grab_enemy.wav (note: Big alarm sound. This one's important.)​
grab_friend.wav​
pickup_enemy.wav​
pickup_friend.wav​
return_enemy.wav (note: Warning beeps alert you of a possible immanent enemy cap.)​
return_friend.wav​

Installation and use

If you have RockeyRex's FlagAlert and/or ImpCTFSounds installed, please remove them before installation to prevent conflicts. Simply remove the appropriate .zip files in the \live directory, or delete the files manually from \live\mods\autoexec.

After this, place the radiofriendlyFlagSounds.zip file in the \live directory and you're good to go.

Sources

All credits to RockeyRex for the scripts. Most of the sounds are sourced from U2XMP.

Attachments

• radiofriendlyFlagSounds.zip
    403.7 KB · Views: 57
I like the concept, but imo the sounds ressemble each other too much. (Could be my ears too though)
Right now the mod is set up to have the midfield flag events (flag drop/pickup) quite subtle (e.g. similar) and not extremely noticeable except if you're looking for them, and the flag events that require immediate response to have a big accent and an alarm. To put it bluntly, only the ones which really matter stand out, the rest is quite subtle. I'd be the first to admit that the sounds aren't perfect, but after playing with these sounds, do you still think they're not standing out enough?

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
I'm tempted to use them, but I don't think I can leave graydoubt's sound effects out either!