[Request] Flag throw charge bar.

Mahidhar

I have been seeing quite a lot of useful mods and scripts, and there's something I'd like to see in Legions, to be implemented. A charge bar for the flag. Much like the Chaingun overheat bar, but for the flag.

My idea of how this charge bar could be done, is whenever the player presses the "Q" button(or their flag throw button), the reticule must disappear, and it must be replaced with an empty vertical bar. As the player holds down his/her flag throw button, the bar fills up accordingly. Once the flag is loose, the reticule of the current weapon returns.

So, can this be done? Thank you.

Falcon

Private Tester
Or just play and learn to "feel" when you want to throw it.

Hey, Disci, do you use reticles?
Health Bar?
Energy Bar?

Yes?... Why don't you just learn to "feel" where your bullets go or how much health/energy you have.

All Mahidhar was doing was asking if a mod like this was possible, and suggesting it be made. Obviously he wouldn't be suggesting this if he hadn't had a problem "feeling" the flag throw charge.

Health Bar?
Energy Bar?

Yes?... Why don't you just learn to "feel" where your bullets go or how much health/energy you have.

All Mahidhar was doing was asking if a mod like this was possible, and suggesting it be made. Obviously he wouldn't be suggesting this if he hadn't had a problem "feeling" the flag throw charge.
What mahidbar is talking about is something new, that currently isn't in the game. Rets and health/ energy bars are a replacement of something that is already in the game. That's something else.

Mahidhar

What I "feel" is, that the flag charge up is also delayed, amongst all other things, thanks to my 350 ping. I hold the flag for three seconds, and it registers as one. So, I think it justifies my reason, to request for this mod. Thus it would be a useful addition on the screen, for high pingers and even new comers, as most of them lack the timing, for throwing the flag.

Yes it can, but I don't have the time to do anything for the next few weeks.

Take your time, and thank you for confirming.

RockeyRex

Legions Developer
Lag has nothing to do with throw speed. The "speed" is sent in to the server by you and is calculated in local ticks.

Redvan

Private Tester
Health Bar?
Energy Bar?

Actually, I play probably around 90% of the time without health and energy bars due to some bug they're still working out. I have no problem with it. Only time it becomes a problem is when I go to rocket jump and wasn't able to keep track of how much damage I previously took.

the feel is all you have time for really... how long does it take to max charge? Hardly long enough to really need a charge bar. Count to 2 in your head and you're basically there.

As for the reticule disappearing when charging the throw, bad idea. A benefit to the new toss system is that we can still fire weapons while tossing the flag, as opposed to the old system where you had to cue up the flag and then use the fire button to toss. I'm not opposed to a charge bar, if one finds it necessary, but eliminating the reticule while charging, nah.

Dizzy

Health Bar?
Energy Bar?

For some reason my Health and Energy Bar are non existent when I play. It doesn't seem to effect me too much but it is annoying when you have the flag and you don't know if you're full health or not. lol.
Having said that does anyone know how to fix this ,-,

RockeyRex

Legions Developer
Hmm... I have always felt, that the flag responded faster in closer servers than the ones giving the high ping.
Of course the flag starts flying with latency. But the chargeup as in how long you need to hold the key to get a set velocity to the flag is always the same.

Karnage

Private Tester
I think it's an excellent idea and would appreciate it myself. What's the harm in releasing something that people have a choice to use or not? If you don't like it don't use it.

Mahidhar

Of course the flag starts flying with latency. But the chargeup as in how long you need to hold the key to get a set velocity to the flag is always the same.

I'm not saying that the "real" charge up time increases, but only that the time taken for the server to acknowledge, that I'm holding the button, is added to it, just like the weapon lag. Due to this, I really don't know when the flag throw starts charging, and I don't have the time to calculate all that, in a tense match.

As for the reticule disappearing when charging the throw, bad idea. A benefit to the new toss system is that we can still fire weapons while tossing the flag, as opposed to the old system where you had to cue up the flag and then use the fire button to toss. I'm not opposed to a charge bar, if one finds it necessary, but eliminating the reticule while charging, nah.

Truthfully, I don't really mind the reticule replacement with the charge bar. For me, the reticules are just for reference. Even if there's only the charge bar, at the center, and I need to shoot, I'll be fine. I use them so rarely, that I haven't even bothered changing them from default. Heck, if I even switch them with any thing different, I get very uncomfortable. Everyone has their own tastes, and I have mine. I haven't requested for this mod, for the whole community. Just for me, and anyone who are interested in using it.

Anyway, I would really appreciate it, if any kind modder would take up the task and create it.

I think it's an excellent idea and would appreciate it myself. What's the harm in releasing something that people have a choice to use or not? If you don't like it don't use it.
Nobody really does. Some people are just saying that they throw the flag on feeling, and that they don't need a thing like a charge bar.

RockeyRex

Legions Developer
I'm not saying that the "real" charge up time increases, but only that the time taken for the server to acknowledge, that I'm holding the button, is added to it, just like the weapon lag. Due to this, I really don't know when the flag throw starts charging, and I don't have the time to calculate all that, in a tense match.
As I said, chargeup is done locally. The client sends the server a value between 0.0-1.0 deciding the charge. You can skip the whole chargeup (as TapFlag does) and send out the max value straight off the console if you wish.

In a nutshell, there is no lag in the chargeup.

Mahidhar

In a nutshell, there is no lag in the chargeup.

I really know near to nothing about how internet and pings work, but I only said that, because I witnessed it myself, many times, during gameplay.

Well, OK. I just tested it. I have tried calculating the time taken between the release of the "Q" button and the flag, actually going out of my hand. I did this in the Singapore server, where I get 100 - 110 ping, and in the US Hotswap #7 server, while I was with 350 - 380 ping.

After I release the "Q" button, the flag came out, almost instantaneously, maybe with a delay of 0.25 seconds. That was in the Singapore server.

I did the same in the US server, and found out that the delay increased to 1.5 seconds approximately. I have tested this twice, to confirm, while only releasing the flag after giving it time to charge up completely(I held it, for about 3 seconds, just to be sure.), both the times. The tests proved positive of the delay.