Newbie Server?

Hey, just an idea but was just thinking about it because all the changes are make it harder for new players to be enticed by Legions.

Make a Server where people can get used to the game, almost like an easy mode. No Fall Damage, or any other of that other stuff, a little more splash damage or damage in general so they can get the hang of it. And just making the server a little more fun in general.

Because it seems quite a few new people don't seem to get enticed by legions by what it has to show currently. But this is just a suggestion after all, it'd be cool to show them an "easy mode" before tossing them out to get raped by everyone who's played legions before or tribes. Since that's no fun at all.

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
I'd be concerned that an 'easy mode' where the game was dummied down and easier would just make things even more difficult for new players to integrate with the more experienced players.

I believe Shade's 'friendly teacher' approach is the best approach to bring new players in and integrate them (give the smaller size of our community).

Darklord

Private Tester
A server that is different then the normal game is not a good idea at all.

What is a good idea is simply a server that is labeled as a New Player Server, and another server that is labeled as a Competitive Player server, where people actually try a little bit in the pub and are of a bit higher skill level. Set up a largely public overflow password for that one at ~14 when we get the capability.

Falcon

Private Tester
No Fall Damage, or any other of that other stuff.

I'm gonna have to disagree with you on this one, Shadow. Fall damage is a teacher in itself, rewarding those who choose to ski on good terrain, but causing damage when a bad hill is used. I think the best approach to help ease the learning curve would be to have a system like Shade's trainers. Also, bringing new players into TS and picking them for PuG can go a long way.

I'm gonna have to disagree with you on this one, Shadow. Fall damage is a teacher in itself, rewarding those who choose to ski on good terrain, but causing damage when a bad hill is used. I think the best approach to help ease the learning curve would be to have a system like Shade's trainers. Also, bringing new players into TS and picking them for PuG can go a long way.
You know your statement is double sided. Shade's trainers can and can't help for the reason that not everyone that comes to legions is going to know people. And there is where we lose people, also when people join a game to try it out. Try to do something, die, and just leave because the game is ridiculously hard. Not everyone has played tribes before or Legions when it was with IA. So Fall Damage is what can make people stay or make them leave as well.

Siantlark

They can ask about how the game is played. They can also look at other people and see how they play.

Thats how I learned.

MJ1284

Newbie server already exists:

1. Launch Counter-Strike
2. Click "Join Game"
3. Pick any server from the appearing list
4. Profit!