New Game - MIDAIR

k e v i n

Private Tester
To be honest I'm not really sure why a Legions player would be all that interested in MA.

True. When I saw the video(s), I basically said to myself, this is not the game for me. But I know the dev team is working pretty hard, and I'd like to support them. So I'm definitely going to give it a shot with an opened mind.

Jordahan

World Leader of The 21st Century
True. When I saw the video(s), I basically said to myself, this is not the game for me. But I know the dev team is working pretty hard, and I'd like to support them. So I'm definitely going to give it a shot with an opened mind.
I'm a FPS-Z player who got their start playing Legions and I only ever played T2 after Legions went down and T:A when it first got popular. So a lot of you are in the same boat as me and I think you'll be surprised at how easily you pick it up. If you guys have any concerns, feel free to let me know.

This might seem biased but please understand that I <3 Legions and have dedicated an unreasonably high amount of hours to the game and community and I am legitimately excited for you guys to get to try Midair. I have played quite a lot of it and I am a big fan of the gameplay and speed. There is of course some tweaks that need to be made, most of which were unanimously agreed upon by the bulk of the people who played it but if you have any concerns or questions, please let me know and I will try to resolve them! :)

Pretty disappointed to be honest. I was hoping that it would be a lot more like legions. Faster and more free movement. An equal balance between tribes and legions was what I was hoping for. I guess they're leaning more towards the tribes gameplay.
Really hoped it would've been a Legions 2. Come on we've seen tribes about 3 times now :/

Application-1

test bester
Whoever thought this was going to be leaning more to legions than tribes is a massive dribbler. There is nothing indicating that it would be, only info that was released looks tribes like. Do you guys even watch the gameplay videos posted? Don't make *chocolate cookies* up out of thin air come on now.

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
I don't know, I could see why people were expecting more Legions: Overdrive than what's been shown. You've got a chunk of the Legions: Overdrive developers, and they mention Legions: Overdrive as an example in their 'What is Midair?' blurb.

Fixious

Test Lead
Yeah I can't really blame them either, unless they've been following the game really closely. The lack of information in general regarding just what type of game they're trying to make likely added to some confusion. We've only just recently seen gameplay, which clearly shows more Tribes than Legions. As I said before, not really sure hardcore Legions fans will fall in love in MA. Worth checking in on every now and then, just know it isn't a successor to Legions (currently).

Lin

Looks like it needs downjets tbh. Biggest thing that felt missing when playing T:A and it would help bring the air mobility closer to legions.

Looks like it needs downjets tbh. Biggest thing that felt missing when playing T:A and it would help bring the air mobility closer to legions.

Exactly. I'm kind of shocked that bugspray whos leading the archetype studios and mabel their lead programmer isn't going in the direction of legions. Legion had thousands of players initally and was gaining huge amounts of players every single day. It's sad to see they're going in the direction of Tribes as if any of them were ever better than Legions.

Fixious

Test Lead
That...doesn't make much sense. Tribes had 100x more players than Legions ever had. Better to cater towards a larger crowd if you're aiming for success. I'm sorta tired of having to say this - don't expect Legions 2.

I'm not really defending the game by any means and am skeptical it'll be anything more than TA:2 at this point, but get it through your head that this is a game more aligned with Tribes than Legions.

Lin

That...doesn't make much sense. Tribes had 100x more players than Legions ever had. Better to cater towards a larger crowd if you're aiming for success. I'm sorta tired of having to say this - don't expect Legions 2.

I'm not really defending the game by any means and am skeptical it'll be anything more than TA:2 at this point, but get it through your head that this is a game more aligned with Tribes than Legions.
But how can he be shocked and disappointed by something if he hasn't gotten it through his head?

I'm sure we all know not to expect legions 2, but there are certainly aspects of legions that would apply just as well to a base-building tribes-type game. Downjets in particular make skiing a lot more forgiving and easier to pick up for new players that don't know how to avoid overshooting a landing, while also adding another tool for the top end of play. I would really like to see it considered and don't really see a good reason against it.

I think it's fair to say that any fan of fpsz, be it a legions or tribes player, will at some point get their hands on this game and play it depending largely on the amount of traffic it gets from outside the "fpsz community". The main goal should be not the attract a certain type of fpsz player, but to attract people from outside the community.

When it comes to attracting these people I largely disagree that tribes-like gameplay will attract more people than legions-like gameplay. The differences are fairly miniscule either way for anyone who isn't familiar with fpsz, and I would even argue that legions mechanics are a lot more attractive to the casual gamer.

Most of legions' lack of popularity in my opinion was due to issues in development, accessibility and monetization, going all the way back to when the game was released on instantaction. I don't think legions should be dismissed on account of being unpopular.

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
Yar, Seymour quite enjoyed the movement of Legions too and the downjet was a part of that. It always felt to me, that Tribes was akin to Super Mario Bros, jumping and landing could be quite unforgiving if not timed perfectly, whereas Legions was a bit more Super Mario Bros 3. Jumping and landing were still important, but felt a little bit more in control and accessible.

Fixious

Test Lead
But how can he be shocked and disappointed by something if he hasn't gotten it through his head?

I'm sure we all know not to expect legions 2, but there are certainly aspects of legions that would apply just as well to a base-building tribes-type game. Downjets in particular make skiing a lot more forgiving and easier to pick up for new players that don't know how to avoid overshooting a landing, while also adding another tool for the top end of play. I would really like to see it considered and don't really see a good reason against it.

Regarding downjet, who knows. This is the latest response regarding it. Whenever a new game like Tribes/Legions pops up I usually throw out the idea of downjet if I get the chance, which most disregard. I'm all for it if it doesn't break things.

Their overall lack of communication and updates are largely to blame for most of the confusion/disappointment so far. Several people in Ts3 during PUGs have shared similar views of disappointment as well. I'd expect the upcoming gameplay video will shed some more light on what they're after, though.

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
Their overall lack of communication and updates are largely to blame for most of the confusion/disappointment so far. Several people in Ts3 during PUGs have shared similar views of disappointment as well.

Yar, I always get excited when there's chatter in the #Midair chat, but it's usually the same poor souls asking for 'hype' and having that damned Jordahan put up a hype-sucking wall of 'Soon'.

57thEnryu

Mixed feelings, ta felt slow as *garsh* and so far midair is feeling the same. So we will see what the final product brings...

scoot

I like the new disc launcher color scheme. It would have been nice to see more than just close-range midairs in the vid, though.