texture bumps, do they work??

Defender

I am making some more test interiors, that use some cool alien textures, but without the bumps enable they look vary plain.. I looked in the client/materials, and can't find how to enable the bump, just need some help to get the bump, enabled..

Here are the 2 texture names...
5951.jpg
5951-bump.jpg

Defender

Need help with this bump, not working yet..

Code:
new Material(AlienMaterial)    //game\legions\data\interiors\defenders\alien
{
   mapTo = "Alien";
   baseTex[0] = "legions/data/interiors/defenders/alien/5951.jpg";//DXT5
   bumpTex[0] = "legions/data/interiors/defenders/alien/5951-bump.jpg";//DXT5N
   pixelSpecular[0] = true;
   specular[0] = "0.25 0.3 0.35 1.0";
   specularPower[0] = 16;
   ambientCube = GradientAmbientCubemap;
};

Poponfu

Lead Developer
They wont work with .jpg , you need an alpha channel for normal map... you also need an alpha channel on your diffuse texture if you want it to have anything but one solid plastic looking spectacular highlight across the whole thing. That specular info goes in the alpha channel of the diffuse texture.

Also you need to convert your normal maps to the 'orange' kind if you want them to look right from all angles using this process:

( he gets to the point at like 40 seconds )

Last edited:

Defender

Anyone know where I could download some good free textures that already have a compatible bump, that would look good on interiors for Legions?

Poponfu

Lead Developer
you are not going to find them in the orange format.. it takes like .2 seconds of work to convert them in photoshop / gimp though

You absolutely need a program that works with alpha channels if you are gonna be doing any sort of texture work , dont forget you need this for specular info too.. not just bump.

Last edited:

Defender

I will learn how to do it, kinda enjoy making stuff...
Unfortunately the old limited constructor, wont use the .dds textures, that are included in legions..
What program did the devs use to make the nice looking shiny interiors in Quarry, and how would you add the blue, orange, glow effects?
It seems most mappers back in tribes2, used Worldcraft, to make those nice interiors, will that program export those directly to .DIF, and is it able to export the newer none lagacy .Dif, like Constructor?..

Last edited:

Poponfu

Lead Developer
I dont know what the old IA devs used but Bravo/Fahren used to use Worldcraft.

.png has alpha channel

Defender

dont forget you need this for specular info too.. not just bump.

So I do the exact same process shown in the video on the specular info?
Also, where can I get some good info or videos on skinning my structures in constructor?
I also can't seem to figure out how to rotate my objects vary well in constructor, its pissing me off..

Poponfu

Lead Developer
So I do the exact same process shown in the video on the specular info?
Also, where can I get some good info or videos on skinning my structures in constructor?
I also can't seem to figure out how to rotate my objects vary well in constructor, its pissing me off..

No , spec goes into the alpha channel of your diffuse texture. Black has no spec and white has a very bright highlight.
--

I dont know , constructor and worldcraft etc are a dead thing and very annoying to learn. Everyone has moved on to using real polygon objects. If you ever plan on doing this for future games you would be better off learning that instead , of course you cant get lighting correct in legions using them though.

Defender

http://www.philipk.net/
This artist has two vary nice looking texture packs, released under Creative Commons, that look great in legions, without even having THE bump or spec maps, enabled.
I have used textures from pk02, and was wondering if some one would covert the pk02_panels01a_C.jpg and the pk02_panels01a_N.jpg?
So I can test how they would look in legions, with the shiny bump, spec, working.

TEXTURES
Texture sets for download

» PK02 - Source version
» PK02 - id Tech 4/.TGA version

» PK01 - Source version
» PK01 - id Tech 4/.TGA version

PK01, PK02 and Ancient Collection Texture packages by Philip Klevestav are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.

Last edited:

Defender

I made basic wall, platforms, boxs, in constructor, and used the textures on them.
Just got to make material script file for client and adjust settings..
I just tried the .dds you edited, they don't show up on my box, its got to be .png

Defender

The interiors, I make using constructor, unfortunately only let me use .jpg or .png texture types, for textures.
Could you remake those as .png ?

Defender

I need some better tutorials for Gimp, this guys voice drives me crazy, and he moves to fast and its hard to keep up.
Been trying to edit a normal, for the alien textures, but have continually failed..
I don't think I will use these in legions, its just a test texture..

Last edited: