Mod Generalization

Dabbleh

Legions Developer
I have just began development of a system that will hopefully mean that Mod-Makers can upload their mods to my server and Mod-Users can have them downloaded/updated and installed all with a click of a few buttons.

So firstly, I need to start compiling a list of people whom I trust with a script that uploads their mods directly to my server, but this also means all of their mods and work will follow a specific folder layout. Once I have finalized the unzipping process for the install, I will update this post with how I would like people to be structuring things, but for now I'd just like interested people to contact me.

OMGWTFBBQ, ONE CLICK MAP INSTALLS!?

(Yes, I know 3lionz has a mod installer already, but this is way more complex AND he actually set me up to the task.)

Any questions are welcome.

Dabbleh

Legions Developer
Undecided problems:

• Authentication for uploads
  • Checking each zip for malicious files (Probably will have to check that they are all .cs scripts)
  • How to encrypt Authentication if generic Usr/pwd method is used.
  • Version management system

Defender

Can you create a serverside loading message for custom servers to run?
I want one kinda like tribes2 has, that will be displayed to players as they first connect.
Its got to be as they first connect, because if they don't have the custom map files they will get booted within a few seconds..

I have tried to just edit the Legions Overdrive\live\client\scripts\serverConnection.cs
line 24, but this only works clientside..
If the devs could just move %message = from the clientside and have it come from the server config some how that would be great.

$Host::disconnectMessage = "You do not have the custom maps or mod files " @
"to connect to this server. " @
"visit tribalcombat.com to download files.";

Code:
function GameConnection::onConnectionError( %this )
{
  Client::leaveServer(true);

%message = "You do not have the correct version of Legions: Overdrive or " @
        "the related art needed to connect to this server. Please contact " @
        "the server operator to obtain the latest version of this game.";

MessageBoxOK("DISCONNECT", %message @ " (" @ %msg @ ")", "Gui::showMainMenu();");
}

Dabbleh

Legions Developer
Are all mods zipped in the same kind of 'merge' format? So they all start from the root Legions directory aka Legions Overdrive/[zip path here]?
If they are, this makes it a bit easier for me, but if half are and half aren't, that makes it a pain. It may have to be a requirement for Modloader TDS.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
Yeah, I was going to mention this to you. Most decent mod makers have set the path of either Legions Overdrive\ live or just \live. I'd recommend that you set it to \live is probably best as some people (like me) rename the legions overdrive folder to something else. It should be a requirement, as it would allow people to point to their live directory once and would allow the user then just to use your ui to select the mods they want and not worry about he path of each mod.

stefygraff

Private Tester
Its the last thing he needs to think about right now, make it happen than you can just add some lines with Legions overdrive if you wish.. also...

I'd recommend that you set it to \live is probably best as some people (like me) rename the legions overdrive folder to something else.

why-u-no-guy-meme_thumb%25255B2%25255D.gif

Fact is that all mods are set to LIVE, because thats the way it just is...

Dabbleh

Legions Developer
Guys, it is not the distribution that matters (live or test), it's the merging of files, it is a lot cleaner and easier to always extract to live and have all the folders to fall in line, but not everyone starts from the same place. Stefy, you obviously don't grasp this concept, so shhhhhhhuttyuhmuh!!

Dabbleh

Legions Developer
Been thinking about this again. It would be nice if map makers who are interested in getting their work included with Modloader TDS could contact me.
There are a few things map makers will need to compile for me.
  • An info file
  • Map Thumbnail 75x75
An example of an info file would be:
Code:
[core]
name=Frostbyte
version=1.0
However this is subject to change since I am still planning it.

Armageddon

Teapot
I'd love to see more mod support, i've got atleast 3 nearly finished mods(Ultra/Legions LT/Hybrid) i've been writing that i'd like to put out but the lack of features from delivery system to general game structure is off putting.
I'd like to be able to just drop a zip file containing the modded files into Legions\game\server and have it load from there, easier for me and the clients to DL and place if needed.

Dabbleh

Legions Developer
Recently started pondering about this again. I would like to start work on it around mid-June however, in the meantime I an going to be releasing a specification standard that your mod or map must pass to make it into the installers database.

EDIT: Apparently, I forgot that most mods can be installed in a self-contained zip. This makes things quite a bit easier...

Last edited: