Trailer Concept - Cast your votes!

Which one you like the best?

• Total voters

MJ1284

I find it difficult to keep track on what people like and dislike in each trailer concept, therefore I think it's best to make a poll out of it.

Note that you can choose one, AND ONLY ONE, of these concepts so choose carefully. Making a short personal list of pros and cons would be nice but not mandatory, casting your vote will suffice.
I renamed each concept so that it's easier to distinguish them (used song titles as trailer names).
Let the voting begin!

EDIT: This project is currently ON HOLD due to lack of Observer Mode.. and lack of interest. In case anybody is interested in continuing where I left off, please let me know via PM.

Moonlit [CONCEPT 1] <- I know nobody will vote on this, but I just tossed it here fer s*** and giggles

Xeno [CONCEPT 2]

Grove [CONCEPT 3]

Magic Fly [CONCEPT 4]

A2

I voted for the 4th concept, NOT because the others are bad, or not because he used my titles, it's just because it's much better made.

mausgang

Puzzlemaster
The fourth one is good and is well made, but it could use a few more of the close-up skiing clips from 2 and 3. The titles are amazing, too.

Keeping in mind that they are merely Concepts, and not final trailers, I voted for Xeno, however I would like at least some combat shots mixed in at some point.

Nvidia

I like Xeno. I don't like the "free" spectator made fighting clips from Grove and Magic Fly. they make legions look like any browser game but it has to be clear that its more like that ;P

DeadGuy

Legions Developer
For a promo trailer IMO:

I like the action of the first, and the execution of the 2nd, but IMO don't use that bright fade-out. The problem with the 3rd&4th is, as a new viewer, you have no idea what is going on in those sections where you observe 9 people all shooting each other. Things are so tiny and meaningless it looses it's flavor quickly. (Using observer in a way that shows the action/players clearly is possible, but it will be difficult.) The 3rd-person/close observer shots of the players skiing for a second or two was fine in way you executed it.

Also, future trailers should keep the maps to zenith and frost (highlight the action, not the waiting) if you can, with only a few shots of niv/moon if you need material. The new maps coming soon will give you more to use. Typical trailer time should be around ~1 minute, so you can't go nuts trying to show everything. You can do followup vids that the viewers can click on (if they are interested) that are longer and have more to them after they have watched the "main trailer."

I liked the flag passing you had but don't highlight the super long (OP) flag tossing power, as that has been reduced (no half map tossing going under 100). Lastly the FOV/hud/detail should be kept somewhat identical, but I'm sure you are just using placeholder clips.

anyway nice work, love the MAs and passes <3

Frost

I'm leaning towards the 4th as well BUT the zoomed out part with the mass MA fight at the tower made the game look bad. Also (I know it's hard, if even possible) but smoothing the movement in observer mode would make all the videos much better. Most of my other opinions have been said

MJ1284

For a promo trailer IMO:

I like the action of the first, and the execution of the 2nd, but IMO don't use that bright fade-out. The problem with the 3rd&4th is, as a new viewer, you have no idea what is going on in those sections where you observe 9 people all shooting each other. Things are so tiny and meaningless it looses it's flavor quickly. (Using observer in a way that shows the action/players clearly is possible, but it will be difficult.) The 3rd-person/close observer shots of the players skiing for a second or two was fine in way you executed it.

As said before, these are mere layouts and I had to rely on what's on YouTube (in other words I can't help it if the resolution is low or camera angle isn't ideal). You do have a point, however, I will pay attention to camera angles and try to view recordings as a new player would.

Also, future trailers should keep the maps to zenith and frost (highlight the action, not the waiting) if you can, with only a few shots of niv/moon if you need material. The new maps coming soon will give you more to use. Typical trailer time should be around ~1 minute, so you can't go nuts trying to show everything. You can do followup vids that the viewers can click on (if they are interested) that are longer and have more to them after they have watched the "main trailer."

"Waiting" (as you put it) is also called "syncing", trailer IS supposed to draw people's attention and therefore have lots of flashy lights and explosions but I wanted to keep some sort of artistic aspect (in this case syncing). I'm curious, what's wrong with Nivosus & Moonshine? I know they've been around since first build, but new players won't know that.
Extended trailer sounds interesting and shouldn't prove to be too difficult once I've got the material I need, will keep this in mind.

I liked the flag passing you had but don't highlight the super long (OP) flag tossing power, as that has been reduced (no half map tossing going under 100). Lastly the FOV/hud/detail should be kept somewhat identical, but I'm sure you are just using placeholder clips.

Ah, it's been SOOOO long since I played Legions and I might have forgotten some of the flag physics. FOV/hud etc. will get fixed once I get to recording part.

DeadGuy

Legions Developer
"Waiting" (as you put it) is also called "syncing", trailer IS supposed to draw people's attention and therefore have lots of flashy lights and explosions but I wanted to keep some sort of artistic aspect (in this case syncing). I'm curious, what's wrong with Nivosus & Moonshine? I know they've been around since first build, but new players won't know that.
Extended trailer sounds interesting and shouldn't prove to be too difficult once I've got the material I need, will keep this in mind.

For the waiting bit I wasn't referring to the syncing; I meant the less "actiony" involved maps. Niv and moon are fine if shown briefly but keep in mind those maps were the first ever created (by IA) with a completely different style in mind than legions evolved/is evolving to. They will not hold up well with time as we add new things. Whatever we make now I can see as becoming a foundations of what people will percieve the game to be, so I want it to transverse time as best as possible. Making multiple renditions over time of different styles of Legions is a bad way to start out I think. Keeping the action simple with MAs and flag passes works for now.

Plus, having 2 main maps (or more if new maps are out in time) and 2 "backups" in the trailer should give plenty of material for a 1 minute video.

(Edit: I know you are using placeholder clips, but I had to comment on it just for safety sake.)

Daphinicus

Private Tester
I voted for the 4th concept, NOT because the others are bad, or not because he used my titles, it's just because it's much better made.

I agree with this.

I like Xeno. I don't like the "free" spectator made fighting clips from Grove and Magic Fly. they make legions look like any browser game but it has to be clear that its more like that ;P

I agree with this as well. And when it comes to music, I definitely prefer Xeno's slowly strengthening drama over any of the other tracks, but that may just be a taste thing.

You're definitely getting a LOT better at this, bud! Shorter is better, though, and will allow you to stay true to DeadGuy's map recommendations without effort. Personally, I'd stay with something around 30 seconds, devoting little more than a couple seconds, total, to titles, wherever they end up going.

When it comes time to finally record footage, and you get to frame stuff, you might think about keeping the action tight and saving the wide shots for openers and contextual shots only; like several of the other commenters in the thread, I agree that wide, convoluted action shots serve only to buttress confusion and chaos. Legions is a chaotic game, no doubt about it, but it's focused chaos: you and your target, even if it's only for a couple milliseconds. =)

Looking forward to seeing recorded footage! Keep up the awesome efforts, bud.

- Daph

Unknown

Private Tester
1 - too long
2 - too many maps shown, and most of the landscape shots are shaky
3 - quarry is in it
4 - best editing yet, love it

Hypnotoad

Voted for number one. Simply because it has a nice mix of 1st and 3rd person gameplay, which is exactly what legions has to offer. If you could shorten it down, would be better. The music.. Didn't like any of the tracks. They were all so.. asian, Moonlit reminding me of AVA. Is that where it's from?

Hawk

4, was pretty cool. I actually like 3's POV's, which made it quite interesting. But imo, 4 was probably the best.