Why do you think you suck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

shaskie

After finally making this thread, I'm just going to explain what's been on my mind lately for the players in this game.

I've been in a lot of pubs lately, and all I see is, "wow man I suck at legions, I wish I was better"

First off, you can't get better if you just think you're the worst player. I have a certain philosophy. In my mind, I'm the best player in this game of all time. Nobody is better. Now, confidence is key with gaming. Be confident with what you can do, and work on what you can't.

If you think you're good, then you will get better, and you will improve. It's just a fact.

Shaska, you're a really cocky douche bag who's only like 14. Sure, I'll take that. But I've gotten better since this game back, haven't I? I don't care if people think I'm cocky, it really helps you get better if you think you're the best. It took me a while to get confidence in this game, but once I did I got a lot better and that's pretty much it.

I'm sorry, I haven't posted a single video since I posted my chasing guide. I'm really lazy, and I promise you guys I'll get some videos out to help you guys.

Always think you're good, and you will get better.

My thoughts for this topic right now, I'm truly seeing some improvement from this community, and a lot of new players are getting into this game too.

really random thread, but w/e.

IF YOU DON'T KNOW ME DON'T POST WHO ARE YOU

Crisis12096

If you think you're good, you will not get better.

"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, in the expert's mind there are few." -Shunryu Suzuki.
This quote was brought up in my AP Lit class and I just love it, so I'm sharing it with you guys.

Don't say you suck, just don't think you're good. Follow that saying, and you will get better.
Confidence is not the key, but only part of it. You must ask questions, you must request help. People who think they're good stop asking questions, they stop searching for improvements, and so they never get better. At least, this is what I think.

Severance

Private Tester
5Dc6D.jpg

Karnage

Private Tester
Shaska makes a good point about self-image (which is what he is talking about). He believes he is the best player and so he acts in such a way that reality and his self-image match up. Sometimes that doesn't happen. Some people think they are great when they really aren't. That is not going to help them. So, I think the important distinction to make here is between having a good/bad self-image and a realistic one. I think it's more important to have a realistic image. In Shaska's case he is a natural at the game and at some point this gave him confidence. I believe he may now have confused things a bit. He thinks he got better in the game because he had a good self-image but I I think he got a good self-image because he got good at the game. I quote: "It took me a while to get confidence in this game, but once I did I got a lot better and that's pretty much it." Why did it take time? I think (and I could be wrong of course because it's just a theory - I wasn't there) it's because when he started out he wasn't that good and he had to learn. Once he started to 'get' it, his confidence grew and at the same time his skills were growing. Yes the confidence and skills were growing at the same time but I really don't think the confidence is what helped the skills along but vice versa. Shaska is also correct in saying that low self-image will negatively impact your growth. If you think you suck you are probably going to keep sucking because you have told yourself you will. Don't write yourself off. When you think you suck you are probably focusing on your weaknesses. This means you are seeing the way to go to get better. That is an opportunity. Take it. Be realistic.

This is not to say that Shaska was wrong. His self-image does match up with his actions and that's great but a good self-image might not make you better at the game. In fact, as Crisis points out it can lead to complacency and, as I would like to point out, to delusions of grandeur. The most important thing is not to say to yourself that you are good or bad but to try to realistically assess your weaknesses and strengths and if you don't know what those are you can ask someone else whom you trust. You can then make it a point to try to improve on your weaker areas. In that way you always have something to strive for. Don't compete with others, compete with yourself. Beat your own best and you will keep growing and growing. And yes, I am not just talking about the game here. In fact I stopped talking about it after more or less the second sentence, but what I say does still apply to the game. :p

I know Shaska said it was a random thread but I like it. Wish there were more like this.

S

shaskie

Since this thread has served it's purpose with my original post, I'm just going to post this and have you guys think about it. Mostly regarding towards Fires comment.

Anyways, here's the deal fire. You left this game, what, 7 months ago? T:A was too good for legions, right? So after Deadstop gets beat by euro teams in american ping, you decide to come back to legions, thinking you're still as good as you were. I know, in all of the "pro vets minds" everyone still sucks in this game and nobody as gotten better. Believe me, this isn't a cry for attention on my part to let people know I've improved, you can think this post is about that, but it's core purpose is to just let all of you players know who are coming back to this game having a cocky attitude thinking you can post things like this
I wouldn't go that far...
after being gone for 7 months is quite shocking to me. You should come play some pugs sometime Fire, I think it would make better use of your time then going on the forums and posting some random *chocolate cookies* from your made up fairy tale land.

This isn't just to fire either, it's to all of you tribes fuckers who think you can waltz back into legions and think you're the same like you were months ago, because you're not.

As far as I'm concerned, this game is going competitive, not for a while but there's still that chance. So to all of you tribers who think you can just waltz back in here and think you were of skill months ago, you're greatly mistaken.

bite me

EDIT: Better add some sort of niceness to this post. Practice makes perfect Fire. Train like Naruto if there's ever comp. You will need it.

Numbah Wun YUROH - Vybez
Fire you too pro for me :( - Immanent
I'll always have to live with being #2. - U8er
Not everyone is #1 like you man. - Xtremespeed
"Fire es #1"

Status
Not open for further replies.