The Future of Legions - Part One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crisis12096

Defender, Tribes 2 also had something called Interpolate which really leveled the playing field between high and low pingers. The Legion team doesn't need to do anything. They work hard and don't get paid for it, the fact Legions even exists right now just might be a miracle.

GReaper

Grumpy
Its not the netcode, its the lack of settings for it in Legions...
The Legions team needs to give better control for server packet settings to server admins..
If you run a server on tribes2, you can adjust those settings lower witch evens out the playing field.
limiting the packet size and rate, evens it out between low ping players and high ping players..
Also with lower packet size and rate you can host more players on your server, witch is always nice..
right now low ping players suck up way to much bandwidth..
I hate to be a know it all, but I ran a server back in 2001, and had 30 players on many a night...

You've asked about this before, and you even got an answer to it.

Defender

Defender, Tribes 2 also had something called Interpolate which really leveled the playing field between high and low pingers. The Legion team doesn't need to do anything. They work hard and don't get paid for it, the fact Legions even exists right now just might be a miracle.

It makes you wonder, who at GarageGames.com removed this feature from the later touque engine versions that where built off the tribes2 engines if it worked so well... I never realy heard of this but packet setings for rate and size where usfull..:eek:

You've asked about this before, and you even got an answer to it.

Remember you posting that..
The problem is, those settings are not vissable in the config.cs
I'm not the one who said the netcode sucked... ;)
I never tried reducing the settings, never had a full server to test..

$pref::Net::packetRateToClient = "128";
$pref::Net::packetRateToServer = "128";
$pref::Net::packetSize = "1500";

I use to use this setting back in the tribes2 days, Wow, what a difference..

$pref::Net::packetRateToClient = "12";
$pref::Net::packetRateToServer = "12";
$pref::Net::packetSize = "250";

k e v i n

Private Tester
sounds cool....i was checking out the unity website and they've got a lot of cool games that have been powered by them http://unity3d.com/gallery/made-with-unity/trailers, they've got a lot of games on iOS and android, and they even have a couple of games that you can play on facebook that are 3D...u guys really need to check out some of those trailers for games on that link i jus posted

Libra

If they just switched to T3d, they would have a lot less work in creating the next Legions game, and much more time to take Legions to the next level.. Im talking about adding vehicle combat on a massive scale.. Only have it enabled for large maps, like Planetside has and more..
Basicly they would be making what tribes4, could have been.. The vehicle code is not to hard to do, a lot of it is already in T3d.. Even I know how to code vehicles with cool weapons on TGE.. did it in Legends. Making the new vehicle models, would be a lot of work...
no to the vehicles maybe battle suits chain gun or jet suit for actual flight things like that would be cool

Defender

no to the vehicles maybe battle suits chain gun or jet suit for actual flight things like that would be cool

If you don't have atleast a vehicle game mode, this game will never be epic..
Island maps would work best on a vehicle game mode..
Even if they only had 2 basic vehicles for a vehicle game mode, it would atleast bring in a new demension of game play..

Fixious

Test Lead
Unity also has a free version you can download and poke around in. If the game still supports community content, it might not be a bad idea to get a head-start on things...

Fixious

Test Lead
do vehicles really have a place in such a fast paced game?
It was true 4 years ago and it's still true:

Shack: How about vehicles? Arming stations? Deployables? Varied armor classes? I see a chaingun--how about a disc-gun?

Tim Aste: Vehicles...no, not right now. Honestly, we think most of the time vehicles are tacked onto FPS games as a marketing bullet point more than a vital piece of the gameplay. Most of the time they are unbalanced, unfair, and they don't even work that well. It's like developers go, "Hey, after Halo and the Warthog, people expect vehicles in FPSs, we just gotta do it." Forget that.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/50870/fallen-empires-legion-interview

Defender

Unity also has a free version you can download and poke around in. If the game still supports community content, it might not be a bad idea to get a head-start on things...

I will atleast try to map in Unity, If a Legions game is made for it.. It can't be any freken harder that the current TGEA editor..:mad:

I don't know about that but in my very short experience with tribes ascend when you shoot the projectile it gets shot immediately(plus hitscan was indeed hitscen) and when you touch the flag it doesn't just totally ignores your existence and goes threw the players body.

Libra

It was true 4 years ago and it's still true:

Shack: How about vehicles? Arming stations? Deployables? Varied armor classes? I see a chaingun--how about a disc-gun?

Tim Aste: Vehicles...no, not right now. Honestly, we think most of the time vehicles are tacked onto FPS games as a marketing bullet point more than a vital piece of the gameplay. Most of the time they are unbalanced, unfair, and they don't even work that well. It's like developers go, "Hey, after Halo and the Warthog, people expect vehicles in FPSs, we just gotta do it." Forget that.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/50870/fallen-empires-legion-interview

Maybe some sort of suit or a suit core something making the character models their own vehicles

Libra

Hell yes, if the map is huge, and water or lava seperate the landmasses..
Guess you never played Tribes2, or anything like that...

something that makes you move faster like a jet suit/core or heavy suit/core that gives you the ability to be your own vehicle

JCARTEL

Private Tester
Would the game go back to being browser based (web player) with the new engine? (ex. Family Guy online)

Libra

That takes no team work, basicly you are talking about a ultra mod, unlimited jeting for players like some tribes2 mods..
Like with anything in legions said personal armored suits will have limits/restraints energy, health, and ammo.

Defender

Like with anything in legions said personal armored suits will have limits/restraints energy, health, and ammo.

Thats fine as long as they can't just fly accross a large island map.
Personal air vehicle suits would be crazy any way... The player could just hover in the sky or just fly around and they would be hard to see... :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.