The Future of Legions - Part One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piggeh

Puzzlemaster
Interesting choice going to Unity3D - I can't imagine how much work it is to port to a completely different engine.
Thanks for the update Bugs. Appreciate your dedication/work on this game.

Defender

It will be a like new game, because it will fell and look different..
I don't think, the maps can be just be copyed over exactly the way they are now.
They should just name it Legions Overdrive Next. or 2..
I'm thinking, this will take them a year or two to do...
I just hope they give us a way to keep a good master server running for the final 1.40 Legions Overdriver.
For Me this 1.40 will be the original Legions Overdrive.
Guys like me who learned to map a little and code a little on TGAE and TGE, can't just switch to Unity3D.

Fixious

Test Lead
Huh. What didn't you like about T3D? I've heard documentation is an issue, or at least used to be. Here are some games using the Unity engine. How's the netcode?

Defender

Please tell us there are no plans to shutdown the original Legions Overdrive, master server, when the new game is ready for live play..
The current game should be finalzed after 140, as final if no more updates are ever planed..
Give us a way to us the GarageGames.com, master server or some work around.
Legions Overdrive v140 will have many years left in it for some of us to have fun with.

SeymourGore

Flatulent Cherub
Yar, I'm thinking there will probably be some concern from the community regarding Legions being ported to a new engine or what will happen to 'classic' Legions: Overdrive. However, the new version of Legions is still a ways away, and the current Legions: Overdrive (and its upcoming content update) will help gather feedback on gameplay mechanics for the next version of Legions. While I am sad to see a shift away from Torque, I'm putting faith in our nerdbomber coders engine decision.

Legions: Overdrive (and Fallen Empire: Legions before it) have always been a bit of a experiment, so to be able to essentially build upon the foundation of the game with the blessing of the IP owners, and to be able to bring the game to a distribution channel such as Steam is a very big deal. We've all devoted a good chunk of our time into developing and playing this game, so to see Legions have a chance to go a bit more mainstream is pretty damn exciting.

Volt Cruelerz

Legions Developer
T3D definitely has the advantage of familiarity, but ultimately Unity is more appropriate for our vision of Legions, and I don't think too many people are going to complain about us making the next incarnation of Legions that much better. ;)

Siper

Private Tester
Blog doesnt say much, are you guys making a new game from scratch? is it even possible to port anything from legions to unity? which game is going on steam.... who will develop the game on unity? Has anything been started yet? or can we expect unity-legions to come in 1-2 years from now?(if were lucky?)

I hope next blog creates more answers than questions <3

Poponfu

Lead Developer
Blog doesnt say much, are you guys making a new game from scratch? is it even possible to port anything from legions to unity? which game is going on steam.... who will develop the game on unity? Has anything been started yet? or can we expect unity-legions to come in 1-2 years from now?(if were lucky?)

I hope next blog creates more answers than questions <3
New game completely.. legions 2 for lack of a better name.

Has anything been started yet? or can we expect unity-legions to come in 1-2 years from now?(if were lucky?)
Things are in the very very early stages.. we are not going to talk about a time-frame for a long time. I should hope we might be at the lower end of your estimate. I do not expect 1.40 to send legions mainstream like this new project has the potential to. I hope you guys continue to play this coming patch over the long haul and test out some new things to consider for the next game. In the months between we will have some updates with community maps and maybe some small content here and there.

Siper

Private Tester
Do you guys have devs experienced with unity? if not I my estimate would be more than optimistic ;p

Seems like an ambitious project, it will be more than just modding a game.... I hope you all stick to it and don't abandon the game half way! (seen it happen before).

tman2010001

Do you guys have devs experienced with unity? if not I my estimate would be more than optimistic ;p

Seems like an ambitious project, it will be more than just modding a game.... I hope you all stick to it and don't abandon the game half way! (seen it happen before).
Same here. Please don't abandon the game

Defender

New game completely.. legions 2 for lack of a better name.

There are already games named on the internet using the name Legions 2 in part of there name..
If your going to make a new game, Can't you just rename it completly, and own the IP?
Make all new assets, cores will be called modules or what ever..
Sale the new game for a small price..
The only thing special about Legions is the Skiing, and the Cores..
250px-Freestyle_skiing_jump2.jpg

Planetside, and Unreal 2003, ripped a lot of Ideas from tribes, so you can a little..
Got a few new names for you. Planetwars, Vaporwars, Planetrevolt, Earth Revolution 3845.

Libra

I'm glad that legions has a chance to shine, thank you for making legions what it is today, i can't wait to see what's in store for us good luck and keep up the outstanding work best devs a gamer can ask for:D

Status
Not open for further replies.