Interview: The man who killed Starsiege: Tribes (part 1)

Fixious

Test Lead
How did a six-year-old, critically-acclaimed game franchise die and why has it been so hard to revive? Who and what killed it? Chris Mahnken, the producer for Tribes: Vengeance, tells us about the events that 'killed' the franchise's hopeful revival and its final installment released in 2004. Chris also offers thoughts for the new owners of the franchise at HiRez studios, who will once again try to revive the franchise with their forthcoming titles Tribes Ascend this year and Tribes Universe later on.

http://www.examiner.com/pc-game-in-national/interview-the-man-who-killed-starsiege-tribes-part-1

Redvan

Private Tester
For our team it started with marketing and PR being moved to LA, and my Marketing manager being laid off. That left me with a marketing guy who didn’t have any idea about first person shooters in general, much less tribes. His suggestions were that we should make it much more like Counter-Strike, and we should definitely add “bullet time”.

looooooooooooooooooool

the pain!

pretty cool article though

Fixious

Test Lead
thats a shocker lol he's like the male version of Rogue

He didn't have to sell the IP. Then again, someone higher up at IAC may have told them to so they could at least get a few dollars from it before closing down the studios.

Frosted

Tribes was so ahead of it's time it's not even funny when you look at what kind of game we have today.
Didn't read it yet but will do tomorow with my morning coffee (thats when I read my new etc)