Pubs, blame newbloods or elitists?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJ1284

"Public games will always suck"

This is the reply I get whenever I try to point out something's wonky in terms of teambalance (number or skillwise), I also receive this answer when I ask people to keep it nice and tidy... well, occasionally I get "then play on PUGs" reply which basically means *dance* off you whiny *fine lady*.

But what is the real reason WHY "Public games will always suck"? For a long time I though it would be balance issues but lately I've notified that those people who could affect the game's outcome very rarely bothers to do so. Hell, I could be playing 5th 10 - 0 match in a row with virtually identical teams on each round because of imbalanced teams that could be easily fixed.. but nah, people won't bother because "Pubs will always suck".

See where I'm getting at? Newbloods do their share of annoying stuff like llamaing & O-Sniping but does that entirely kill the fun on Pubs? No, it's the uptight elitist attitude community has towards Public games. I might get laughed at this, but I sincerely believe Public games could be on much better shape if community members would even occasionally bother to make matches something else than 10 - 0, seeing that majority of players are hanging around Public games wouldn't it make sense to make them look more fun and appealing so that people would WANT to learn the game?

I ain't saying EVERY match should be fun and exciting, just saying that you could acheive noticetable differences with even little bit of effort. To answer my original question "why Public games will always suck?", all I can say is "Look into mirror".

** END RANT**

Xtreme

shaska's bff
Pffft... Told ya someone would rant....

Pffft, told ya someone would rant about the rant..

On a more serious note, there are some "elitists" that do bother and constantly attempt to make teams balanced in public games (e.g. me). The ones that don't bother usually refrain from doing so for the simple fact that they don't care about the score/gamplay/fairness, but instead their only objective is to warmup/maintain their skill level for upcoming pickup games.

Daphinicus

Private Tester
Here here, MJ. I agree; they'd be much more palatable were it not for the elitists assuming that they were going to be awful, and playing to match. I'm sorry to say I'm guilty of this myself -- while I'll often change teams to balance them or otherwise treat PUBs seriously, sometimes I get into that mood we all get into, where "it's a PUB and thus doesn't matter," and I'll start practicing routes or dueling instead of playing the dancing game. I need to stop falling into that trap; all of us do.

Of course, you can't blame veterans for how newbloods play in PUBs, but you CAN blame them for how they react to it. This, also, is something we need to fix.

MJ1284

Here here, MJ. I agree; they'd be much more palatable were it not for the elitists assuming that they were going to be awful, and playing to match. I'm sorry to say I'm guilty of this myself -- while I'll often change teams to balance them or otherwise treat PUBs seriously, sometimes I get into that mood we all get into, where "it's a PUB and thus doesn't matter," and I'll start practicing routes or dueling instead of playing the dancing game. I need go stop falling into that trap; all of us do.

Of course, you can't blame veterans for how newbloods play in PUBs, but you CAN blame them for how they react to it. This, also, is something we need to fix.

PUBs are first and foremost all about playing for fun (and honing your skills, of course) and shouldn't be taken TOO seriously, but most of the players have taken it to extreme and think Public games are a joke. Practicing routes and dueling are fine IMO since they'll still benefit your team in terms of caps and Distraction/Defense, you could spend your time doing far less useful things ingame.

I wasn't exactly blaming veterans for how newbloods play, not every newblood is willing to listen little tips some vets pass on to them (this is something vets do right, kudos for that), but how helpful it is to shout "DON'T LLAMA!" and leave it at that? But besides that, I'm saying veterans have severe attitude issue towards Public games. The community isn't that big to begin with, discouraging potentially interested newbloods most certainly won't affect the community size in positive way.

The ones that don't bother usually refrain from doing so for the simple fact that they don't care about the score/gamplay/fairness, but instead their only objective is to warmup/maintain their skill level for upcoming pickup games.

I wouldn't mind if "The ones" would mean 15-20 % of players.. feels like it's somewhere around 80-85 % nowdays.

Disci

Old man
Better players ruin more games than newbloods. Playing D just because it's your "position" is not a good excuse for having 5-7 D players while O lacks players seriously and other way round. I find pubs very unintelligent sometimes after seeing people stacking teams just because they are on TS at the same time or because they just want to play their own position.

Fissurez

Puzzlemaster
i can see this being partially solved in the future when we get "saved" scores., as in, trying to balance out the teams based on an overall average score of the players in the game.
it would probably be a good idea to have a little bar next to each team to show the average "skill" of the team, and to lower the chance of people team switching to a team with less, but better players from a team that is losing with more players.

Siantlark

people actually try in pubs?
*Raises hand slowly*

But Then again I only play in Pubs. But even in my limited playing area I see this too with people moving to the back of the base or something and just screwing around and not playing the game and like MJ said pointing out little failings and misconceptions that new players have and never actually stopping to help them learn cap routes and be better at the game.

As for numbers being out of whack I haven't seen it be much of a problem. Usually if you ask people will gladly switch and balance teams. The community here is more mature than say...

*Cough* 3 year old Halo fans! *Cough*

Freeman

RAYTANG
I blame the lack of communication. I always see players trying to cap but once another player gets there first, they rage.

I personally don't think that public games "suck", but it's hard to say that they're fun too.

Frost

Ontopic, I agree with MJ and Freeman.
This.
Pubs don't suck, I've been in countless good ones although bad seems to outnumber them 3:1

MJ is correct, which is why I almost always switch if my team is 4 or 5 points ahead regardless of the number of people on each team. The "good" players usually don't switch since they're trying to rack up points which is easier on the better team. A few times today I've seen the top scorer on the winning team telling his team to balance, followed by people on both teams asking why doesn't he switch. Not naming names.

WildFire

Warrior of Linux
This.
Pubs don't suck, I've been in countless good ones although bad seems to outnumber them 3:1

MJ is correct, which is why I almost always switch if my team is 4 or 5 points ahead regardless of the number of people on each team. The "good" players usually don't switch since they're trying to rack up points which is easier on the better team. A few times today I've seen the top scorer on the winning team telling his team to balance, followed by people on both teams asking why doesn't he switch. Not naming names.

The funny thing about this is that the score actually switches over to the other team now when you switch!

Lin

Ummm, just to say, I actually don't see so many utter noobs out there. Including myself
frown.png
, I usually see a max of 3-4 genuinely bad/new players out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.