Votes: 7 41.2%
  • No

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • Not sure

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters

Fixious

Test Lead
By making the frag and EMP nades combo'able, HOFs (or anyone) can shoot down incoming EMPs if they're quick enough, and frag grenades could do more damage when shot near a player if they're within a certain (rather small) radius. Both would give low self-impulse (keep that to boost nades).

Seems odd to restrict combos only to boost grenades.

If I remember correctly, this used to be the case (there was basically one type of nade) but it was then nerfed because combo's in duels were just way too strong.

Xtreme

shaska's bff
By making the frag and EMP nades combo'able, HOFs (or anyone) can shoot down incoming EMPs if they're quick enough, and frag grenades could do more damage when shot near a player if they're within a certain (rather small) radius. Both would give low self-impulse (keep that to boost nades).

Seems odd to restrict combos only to boost grenades.

It's hard enough to midair incoming players consistently, you're suggesting that we intentionally try to hit incoming grenades? And frag grenades already do massive damage, why would you want to increase that?

The only reason I hate running EMP grenades. Your mobility is super limited. +1

Yeah boost core and rjs are not enough right?

Xtreme

shaska's bff
Well should mobility be the same across all positions? Should you not have to sacrifice mobility when using a weapon that paralyzes the hof?

The thing with nadejumps and cores is that we have a bunch of bandaids trying to make up for broke physics and poor map design. So in the end this kind of discussions seems pointless to me.

Reactions: Sin

Application-1

test bester
Why would I run boost core on LO...?
As a HoF I can tell you many do sadly (equip shield core or OD boys maybe even regen idk how strong regen is currently).

Make all nades combo beside frag imo.
Frag already does a lot of damage something people that don't use them now might not realise. Seriously if a chaser is a bigger problem then the hof then instead of chucking emps at the HoF throw a frag nade to a chaser in his outrider booty suit. A on hit frag nade does like 50% damage to a outrider.

Emp combo could be that it gives half the impulse then a boost nade does maybe even less. Making emp combo is a nerf and buff to it. As it is already very strong you gotta watch out with what you do.

Also if this happens then boost nades should probably do even less damage to enemies (self harm is fine) as it would define the boost nade for boosting more. And the appeal to frag nades might go up aswell.

The thing with nadejumps and cores is that we have a bunch of bandaids trying to make up for broke physics and poor map design. So in the end this kind of discussions seems pointless to me.
Imo this only applies to the boost core. What a piece of *chocolate cookies* core is that. It was supposed to help newer players out but it is way too strong to pass up for chasers which makes chasing a easy job that only requires low ping.

Fixious

Test Lead
It's hard enough to midair incoming players consistently, you're suggesting that we intentionally try to hit incoming grenades? And frag grenades already do massive damage, why would you want to increase that?

Yeah boost core and rjs are not enough right?
I'm not totally for frags combos doing more damage, it was just an idea I threw out there. And here are the Boost Grenade values for those curious, feel free to suggest your own for frags/EMPS:

comboDamageRadius = 15;
comboRadiusDamage = 30;
comboDamageType = $DamageType::FragCombo;
comboAreaImpulse = 3000;
comboAreaImpulseSelf = 2500;
comboRadiusDamageSelf = 30;

I would likely keep everything but comboAreaSelfImpulse the same, and bring that down to 1800 or so. You can toy around with the values by replacing empgrenade.cs in server/game/datablocks/gameobjects with this. Lines 61-66 are the relevant bits to mess with.

The thing with EMP combos is that they would/should disable your core since it explodes right next to you, so you wouldn't be able to EMP combo + Boost core like you do with chasing. It's a sacrifice. Keep Boost nade the main tool for chasing. EMP combos don't do this at the moment so it would need some coding to get working.
Why would I run boost core on LO...?
Rocket jumps don't help either besides getting to base faster (gg 50% hp).
Boost is fine on LO, imo. I run it all the time, as I have EMP equipped I want something to help me get to the base quicker besides rocket jumping. On something like Zenith or Gorge it works out because I can boost then chill outside their base and healup to 100 for like 8 seconds, then go in when needed.

Sin

Private Tester
Nope. You can spam nades way quicker than a HoF or anyone else can take the time to aim out and shoot them down.

EMP nades are also way too broken as a mechanic right now to allow them to be used for boosting. If you're going to run them, there should be a tradeoff, and losing the ability to combo with them is that tradeoff. Same principle behind frags. They have more effect as far as damage goes but you can't boost with them because you're trading the damage for mobility.

Well should mobility be the same across all positions? Should you not have to sacrifice mobility when using a weapon that paralyzes the hof?
^exactly.

You don't get to have everything. Choose what you want between the three grenades.

Fixious

Test Lead
When I say combo'able I just mean able to explode with rocket/grenade. That was the only word I could really think of. As I said in OP I don't think they should be used for self impulse, and should give little impulse if any. Keep that sort of stuff to the boost nades. There's no real downside to this; it just allows you to shoot down incoming nades, just like you can with boost nades. Will it be the perfect defense for a HOF against EMP? Of course not. But hey at least the option is there for them to shoot a few down if they (or their LD) want to.

This is more of a buff towards those receiving grenade spam, not those throwing them.

TylerMarket

Heisenberg.
Nope. You can spam nades way quicker than a HoF or anyone else can take the time to aim out and shoot them down.

On the other end of the spectrum, you can use them for self defense since HoFs can't use boost nades to block incoming rockets

Sin

Private Tester
On the other end of the spectrum, you can use them for self defense since HoFs can't use boost nades to block incoming rockets
And risk having my core disabled by the blast? No thank you. And instead of possibly hitting an enemy midair, they could just spam nades out in front of them in the hopes that it intercepts the incoming projectile. I don't like it.

Also a HoF doesn't need more defensive power. It's fine where it is.

I personally don't think the EMP nades even have a place in the game. They were added as a crutch for people with garbage aim and poor game sense. If you can't clear a heavy in time with your cappers that's your problem.

Armageddon

Teapot
I really don't use anything but frags, i still don't even boost nade that much.. so my opinion is null already. I don't like when 2-3 items share the same characteristics in any game, it makes having the item seem a little cheap like 8 different spinfuzors in TA. End all debate and just let the frag have every perk from the others, who cares 12 people play this game steady now. I like how things are, you can build a loadout that has a specific role and function, the idea of cross breeding the nades doesn't move the customization forward instead it takes that all back a few steps. It reminds me of most T1 modded flash bangs or EMPs, those for the most part still dealt damage so whats the point in using grenade 1 if grenade 2 has some damage and a blindness effect. If you mix a few colors you get brown and thats boring.

IzSid

Honored Hero
*dance* that, I'd rather make enemy nades not comboable at all.
And instead of possibly hitting an enemy midair, they could just spam nades out in front of them in the hopes that it intercepts the incoming projectile. I don't like it.

They already do this with boost nades during duels. Really annoying missing MA's because people are just chucking them out during duels. IMO enemy nades shouldn't be comboable. If your gonna be using nades during duels you should be using the frag anyway.

yami

Private Tester
For a game with such a small player base and nothing at stake we really suffer from analysis paralysis. The way that most people enjoy this game (large communal play sessions once a week with low activity the rest of the week) allows this game a unique tolerance for tweaks like this. As long as people agree that a proposed tweak will not break the game or make PUGs un-fun, we should just try it out for 1 or 2 Saturdays and get actual feedback instead of speculation.

If you have the people willing to make the changes and revert them on a weekly basis if necessary, then we should be throwing reasonable ideas at the wall and seeing what sticks.

TylerMarket

Heisenberg.
For a game with such a small player base and nothing at stake we really suffer from analysis paralysis. The way that most people enjoy this game (large communal play sessions once a week with low activity the rest of the week) allows this game a unique tolerance for tweaks like this. As long as people agree that a proposed tweak will not break the game or make PUGs un-fun, we should just try it out for 1 or 2 Saturdays and get actual feedback instead of speculation.

If you have the people willing to make the changes and revert them on a weekly basis if necessary, then we should be throwing reasonable ideas at the wall and seeing what sticks.
Can do the same thing as we did with boost core