Update the map rotation.

Fixious

Test Lead
Good, populated games are a bit rare these days. When they happen, nothing kills momentum more than when a bad map comes up. Overall the rotation is okay, but removing a few rotten apples would make it considerably better. I propose removing:
  • WinterMelt - Just doesn't feel like a legions map. Too small, hills are awkward, not enough places for LO to find cover.
  • Outcast - Pretty, but is universally disliked because it doesn't play well.
  • Forgotten - Just put this map out of its misery already. I know Fahren was working on revamping it but I haven't heard anything about it in a long time.
Just my 2 cents after playing a few games recently.

Poponfu

Lead Developer
I'll take a look at it.. forgotten really isn't a server killer though. The only problem with that map imo is the mile behind each base making front to backs ( which most people do on it) take a really long time to get home.

Royalty

The Aussie
Maps aren't a server killer...
It really is the lack of presence of a dev team, with all the work on 'Project Z' at the moment.
People have nothing to look forward to I guess. :(

Fixious

Test Lead
Not unless it's handed off to a new team. There aren't that many people left to create a new dev team that aren't already working on Z. I can only think of maybe 3 or 4 people who still hang around and aren't working on Z that could provide updates for Legions.

Poponfu

Lead Developer
Maps aren't a server killer...

Just..

--

As to the other stuff though , I think ever since the TA player push thing when numbers really fell off even other devs not working on Z lost some enthusiasm. Your entertainment / feedback is the only thing we ever got back for working on this project. If active player pop ever picked up again you would probably see some projects others had worked on but not finished get done. That push is really up to the community now.. and just might not be there anymore :/

Although yesterday I did get in 5 16+ player games on hotswap.. so who knows. Maybe the blips we still do get will coalesce.

Jello

Contributor
It's not really the maps, But I do Agree that Forgotten is just torture, the lighting especially, but most of the thing is people got school, night classes, all that but I was able to play a 7v7 today

Royalty

The Aussie
Not unless it's handed off to a new team. There aren't that many people left to create a new dev team that aren't already working on Z. I can only think of maybe 3 or 4 people who still hang around and aren't working on Z that could provide updates for Legions.
It's not the lack of development for Legions I was talking about, more so the lack of direction for what is next.

I'm sure Bugsy and the team are working away at 'Z' and have a clear goal for its completion, but the Legions community doesn't exactly have any evidence of this, therefore no incentive or sense of commitment to Legions anymore.

Anyway, all in good time my friends. I can wait :D

Gheist

King of all Goblins
[...] I'm sure Bugsy and the team are working away at 'Z' and have a clear goal for its completion, but the Legions community doesn't exactly have any evidence of this, therefore no incentive or sense of commitment to Legions anymore. [...]
How would evidence for Z development goals help with commitment to Leejunz?

Royalty

The Aussie
How would evidence for Z development goals help with commitment to Leejunz?
Well the way I look at it, is that when I played Legions actively the only thing that kept me playing since '08 was the hope that one day there would be a large and active Australian community.

This is just my opinion, but I think with no clear progress or development goals, the community hasn't got that spark of hope for a larger community in the future - therefore no incentive to keep on contributing to the game.

Just my opinion, feel free to voice yours.

EDIT:
Getting a little off topic, I'd rather finish this discussion first though.

Gheist

King of all Goblins
Okay, again: How would "clear progress" or "development goals" for Z affect your (or others') commitment to Leejunz?

Bold for emphasis. Z != Leejunz.

Defender

I don't think you need a bunch of people "team" to fix or add some features in Legions.
ilys, the coding god for Legends, does most of it him self these days.
He does engine code, game code, gui code, to much to list.

I have only 4 small request!

1# Fix the games sound system so weapon explosions and fire sounds are not heard from accross the map...
2# Add loading message for maps, with active links like tribes2, so mappers can post download info.
3# Up the max size of skyboxs textures to 2048x2048
4# allow more textures types in the editor for painting terrains, like Legends the Game,
witch allows up to 12 for the terrain..

Also if they fell like doing more....

1# Add back projectile lighting, and better explosion lighting to the engine, that would look cool on dark maps.

Last edited:

Jaymyster

Thank you very much for making this thread Fixi. I have been thinking about this to be another step that would have to be taken to consider the current situation of our community for sometime now, but you've finally done it.

Not only do we need to remove some maps we don't need anymore, but we also need to have a more strict minimum player criteria for some maps to even show up (like before).

I remember a time where the map rotation was caught in a vortex of frost, nivo, and moonshine unless there were more than 14 players. Ironically, although that rotation annoyed the hell out of me at that time, I think it would make a lot of sense now to consider a new rotation that is similar to that one in nature (emphasis on smaller maps) to exist to be considerate of the very low numbers we currently have in our servers. That being said, I think a conscious effort should be made to increase some of the player minimums we currently have on maps.

I do agree with Fixi's suggestions. More so Outcast because most players don't like playing big maps as it is, let alone ones they aren't familiar with (especially if the game never has enough players). However, I would undoubtedly say that the number 1 map that fits the example of what this thread is trying to accomplish would be Grassy. I would say this is the main map that Fixi missed out on listing because I have yet to play one serious CTF match on that map to this day (and many other times of it clearing the server of its population). I hate to say this because I think the map was pretty and definitely had potential; but one thing is for sure, it simply just hasn't and doesn't work for our current community. Our objective should be to create the best possibility of a CTF game starting while considering the probable number of players playing on the server.

Ultimately, I really hope some changes can be made to the current rotation that are more considerate of our current community's activity.

Last edited:

Poponfu

Lead Developer
I remember a time where the map rotation was caught in a vortex of frost, nivo, and moonshine unless there were more than 14 players. Ironically, although that rotation annoyed the hell out of me at that time, I think it would make a lot of sense now to consider a new rotation that is similar to that one in nature..

This is very true.. the idea always gets backlash ( its been suggested before ) but these are different times. There are quite a few admins and we can always get more to switch to different maps when vets are on.

How does this sound ? Nivo and Moonshine would be the only ones that cant be picked after 13 players. The numbers after indicate its chances of being picked.

for hotswap
>17
Fallout 0.7
Zenith 0.7

>13
Forgotten 0.6

<13
Nivo 0.6 (capped at 13)
Moonshine 0.5 (capped at 13)
Frost 0.8
Reactor 0.6
Elegiac 0.8

I would say these retain the players best.. keep that in mind over personal map preferences.

Last edited:

Fixious

Test Lead
I'd probably lower Fallout and Zenith to >15.

I do agree with Fixi's suggestions. More so Outcast because most players don't like playing big maps as it is, let alone ones they aren't familiar with (especially if the game never has enough players). However, I would undoubtedly say that the number 1 map that fits the example of what this thread is trying to accomplish would be Grassy. I would say this is the main map that Fixi missed out on listing because I have yet to play one serious CTF match on that map to this day (and many other times of it clearing the server of its population). I hate to say this because I think the map was pretty and definitely had potential; but one thing is for sure, it simply just hasn't and doesn't work for our current community. Our objective should be to create the best possibility of a CTF game starting while considering the probable number of players playing on the server.

Unless I'm thinking of a different map, Outcast is actually quite small. The problem is that it really didn't have any side hills/routes. As for Grassy...I can't really say. Never played a full game on it. It still takes quite a while to load, and crashed on me yesterday when trying to leave the game. Quite a bit of work went into the map, but ultimately I don't mind seeing it removed if it isn't liked by the majority.

Last edited:

Poponfu

Lead Developer
Yeah I think grassy would play well but its big and takes some effort to learn routes(even front) and stuff. If comp ever comes back and people take the time to learn it when it comes up might go over better. Better to remove all the new maps like that for now.

Jaymyster

Unless I'm thinking of a different map, Outcast is actually quite small. The problem is that it really didn't have any side hills/routes.

Yeah I completely mixed that up with another new map but your comments on the side routes remain true.

As for the suggested rotation, that looks solid. I would personally want to keep zen at 17 though. And also possibly consider adding ottn or styg as .1s or .2s as they are small maps as well.

Last edited:

Defender

The map code in this game is in need of major overhaul, please get competent coder to handle this update!
Have them look at tribes2, for ideas on how its done professionally.

Gheist

King of all Goblins
[...] please get competent coder to handle this update! [...]
Do you know one? Or are you at least slightly competent yourself? Then get active!

Let me remind you of this:
[...] We're leaving it up and we want you as a community to take over development, and we will provide administrative functions and legal oversight for the new community developers. [...]
Source.

Fixious

Test Lead
Yeah I completely mixed that up with another new map but your comments on the side routes remain true.

As for the suggested rotation, that looks solid. I would personally want to keep zen at 17 though. And also possibly consider adding ottn or styg as .1s or .2s as they are small maps as well.
You were probably thinking of Qualm, which is the same size as Zenith. I also thought about throwing some support towards OTTN, since it isn't half-bad and I enjoy it more than others in the rotation.

Defender

Do you know one? Or are you at least slightly competent yourself? Then get active!
Let me remind you of this:
Source.

I am slightly competent in some areas of coding, have you not seen my deployable bunker in my Warped mod?
This takes some one who understands coding of game functions and loves doing it..
Back in tribes2, tribes1, there where lots of guys who loved coding this kind of stuff, just look at all the admin mods there was.
I will ask ilys, who is the main code guy for Legends the Game, if he knows anyone or maybe even he mite offer to code it...

Last edited: